Top Shelf Aquatics

Tom@HaslettMI pico

Tom@HaslettMI

Tom@HaslettMI

I've been reefing for a long time (almost 20 years) and been a member here for a while. I have not posted much... mostly because my tank was too big! But now I have a pico too!

I set it up for a nano contest (on a different forum) but thought I'd share my journey here as well.

It's an "Ocean Free" brand glass tank. The inside dimensions are 8.7x5.6x6.75 (LxWxH), which equals about 1.4 gallons.

IMAG0809.jpg

IMAG0811.jpg

I'm running a small Aquaclear filter with mechanical filteration, a Tetra 50W heater, and a DIY Cree light.

It was started in Jan. 19, 2012, and here's the first livestock addition.

IMAG0821.jpg

First additions! A small piece of LR and a tiny bit of Xenia from my main tank.

IMAG0827.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Tom

Tom@HaslettMI

Thanks!

Ha-ha. Yes, I already have. I'm going sequentially through the progress of the tank. At less than 2 months old I'll be able to catch up to present day in just a few posts.

Tom

Tom@HaslettMI
Looking good so far!

Where did you get the tank - I like the curved front corners.

Thanks!

My parents found two of them at a garage sale for $0.75 each! They thought of me and bought them both. I like the curved corners too... kinda reminds me of pint sized JBJ Picotope.

Tom

Thanks!

My parents found two of them at a garage sale for $0.75 each! They thought of me and bought them both. I like the curved corners too... kinda reminds me of pint sized JBJ Picotope.

Tom

Awesome! Too bad for me - I was hoping one of the local Michigan fish stores carried them. I'm sure I can find it online, if the company still exists. Thanks for the reply!

Tom@HaslettMI

Here's the tank in late January. Sand bed and LR added.

IMAG0828.jpg

IMAG0831.jpg

The sand bed is not really that yellow. It's a product of the temporary PC lighting.

Thanks for looking,

Tom

Tom@HaslettMI
Awesome! Too bad for me - I was hoping one of the local Michigan fish stores carried them. I'm sure I can find it online, if the company still exists. Thanks for the reply!

Check Meijer. I recently saw some tanks that were very similar there. I think there might of even been several sizes available.

Tom

Check Meijer. I recently saw some tanks that were very similar there. I think there might of even been several sizes available.

Tom

Thanks - appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Tom@HaslettMI

Thanks Just.Reef.

Here are a few updated pics...

IMG_4978.jpg

IMG_4979.jpg

IMG_4960.jpg

I'm having a bit of an issue with at the moment. I think it's time to increase the frequency of water changes.

Tom

Thanks Just.Reef.

Here are a few updated pics...

IMG_4960.jpg

I'm having a bit of an issue with at the moment. I think it's time to increase the frequency of water changes.

Tom

Hey Tom,

As for the water changes, Don't want to be telling you what to do cause you have been in this hobby a heap longer than i have but. I have just started doing weekly water changes and added purigen and noticed my corals opening up more and more active so if you haven't already maybe try some purigen in your filter...

Once again I don't want to sound like I'm trying to tell you what to do just a suggestion :)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived