Coral Vue Hydros

Time to get coral THE SECOND

tennis20

Pull the sponge and throw it in the trash.Take the ceramic rings and trash them as well.Then in a few days pull a handful of bioballs and trash them.Then every other day pull another handful of bioballs and trash them until you are free of bioballs. Once they are all out you can add some more water to quiet the waterfall noise from having no bioballs. Have you thought about a media basket from www.mediabaskets.com to hold filter pad and carbon?

From reading this thread and some of your other posts, I would advise you don't buy any coral for the moment. Spend some time learning the basics of the hobby. Dying livestock is only going to turn you away from reefkeeping.

Start a "My Questions" thread in the Beginner Forum and you should get some good responses without too much sarcasm or trolling. A thread like this is will keep the clutter out of your tank thread in Members Aquariums and lets us all see what you know and where you are up to. Make the first post a list of your equipment, livestock and the dates they were added and the tank was set up etc. You can edit it to add changes as they occur. Remember it can take a few hours to get a good reply to a question, most of us have jobs, family or school to keep us busy most of the day.

Okay i just took out the sponge and it made my tank all cloudy when i took it out. a brown cloud. But i cleaned the sponge

From reading this thread and some of your other posts, I would advise you don't buy any coral for the moment. Spend some time learning the basics of the hobby. Dying livestock is only going to turn you away from reefkeeping.

Start a "My Questions" thread in the Beginner Forum and you should get some good responses without too much sarcasm or trolling. A thread like this is will keep the clutter out of your tank thread in Members Aquariums and lets us all see what you know and where you are up to. Make the first post a list of your equipment, livestock and the dates they were added and the tank was set up etc. You can edit it to add changes as they occur. Remember it can take a few hours to get a good reply to a question, most of us have jobs, family or school to keep us busy most of the day.

How do i start a thread

Just another word for Topic. Go in to the Beginners Forum and click NEW TOPIC.

As for your sponge, that is why using filter floss and just throwing it away and replacing it every few days is a good idea. All that filth does not get to rot in your filter.

Would it be smart of me if i got some Plate corals and ricordea's on sunday?

Would it be smart of me if i got some Plate corals and ricordea's on sunday?

Maybe some zoanthids

how long have you been cycling? did you get diatom bloom yet?

Yes I have had a diatom bloom

Edited by tennis20

Stabilize your tank a little longer. You seem to be on track and after youve taken care of the bioballs, sponges and ceramic rings I would say wait 1-2 weeks and see how your tank reacts to it.

If it is stable then go ahead and add coral but if you get coral now and start to have swings in you nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, etc... then you might kill some coral.

Also make sure you are topping off with RO water, thats probably why your salinity dropped in the first place, evaporation.

Reverse Osmosis water...

You really need to go read through some threads or a couple books. You seem to have started a tank without really knowing the basics about reef keeping. Do yourself a favor and read through the begginers forum or read a book. Im just saying, that way you will have an understanding on what your up against.

acropora1981
Reverse Osmosis water...

You really need to go read through some threads or a couple books. You seem to have started a tank without really knowing the basics about reef keeping. Do yourself a favor and read through the begginers forum or read a book. Im just saying, that way you will have an understanding on what your up against.

+1 Please, for the love of god, read a book!

This is NOT a hobby where you can just kinda wing it; you will fail, and WASTEFULLY KILL ANIMALS.

Also, I noticed you just started another thread with exactly the same title; you aren't going to get different answers from asking again and again. Im about 1 dumb post away from writing you off as an idiot, and not giving you anymore of my many years experience.

Edited by acropora1981

Im new at this as well but IMO I would slow down. How long have you had this tank running for? Did you go.through a cycle? Seems think you added things already but you said you still ammonia. Personally i'd wait. You removed thay sponge and said it released a brown cloud, im guessing that cant be good. But its your tank.

Do research. Seems like you are unsure and asking a lot of questions. Read read read! Thats the best why to learn. Nano-reef is a great source of info and has helped me greatly and even more so after I read and had a better understanding of the basics

Looks like I was already beat to it

Edited by aap15
C.I._Reefer

This is NOT a hobby where you can just kinda wing it; you will fail, and WASTEFULLY KILL ANIMALS.

Also, I noticed you just started another thread with exactly the same title; you aren't going to get different answers from asking again and again. Im about 1 dumb post away from writing you off as an idiot, and not giving you anymore of my many years experience.

+1. I wish the best of everyone in the hobby, but I feel like I'm talking to a slow 12 year old who doesn't wanna do any research themselves

+1. I wish the best of everyone in the hobby, but I feel like I'm talking to a slow 12 year old who doesn't wanna do any research themselves

+1

If you wont do the research for the sake of the animals you are about to give a painful suffering death to, than do it for your wallet.

Livestock is not cheap, Dont waste your money.

#1 rule of this hobby is PATIENCE

saltwatercoral

There is a Ton of reasearch and help out there! If you do it yourself and have a basic understanding of what you are trying to do thats a beginning. Then when you gat an understanding... Do more research. I have been reaserching for about 3yrs off and on and decided to jump in the game and now I have my tank up and running for about 2 months with no problems! If you keep asking questions and dont do reaserch yourself you will most def kill your fish and or corals. If its not the $ you care about just think of the lives you will be killing and making suffer slowly because of not doing reaserch. I dont mean to harp on you its just that this is def a hobby that you can enjoy and have great reawards if some very carfull planning is done and reaserch is a must!

Edited by saltwatercoral
  • 8 years later...
On 3/8/2012 at 11:00 AM, saltwatercoral said:

There is a Ton of reasearch and help out there! If you do it yourself and have a basic understanding of what you are trying to do thats a beginning. Then when you gat an understanding... Do more research. I have been reaserching for about 3yrs off and on and decided to jump in the game and now I have my tank up and running for about 2 months with no problems! If you keep asking questions and dont do reaserch yourself you will most def kill your fish and or corals. If its not the $ you care about just think of the lives you will be killing and making suffer slowly because of not doing reaserch. I dont mean to harp on you its just that this is def a hobby that you can enjoy and have great reawards if some very carfull planning is done and reaserch is a must!

On 3/8/2012 at 10:34 AM, Chrisl1976 said:

+1

If you wont do the research for the sake of the animals you are about to give a painful suffering death to, than do it for your wallet.

Livestock is not cheap, Dont waste your money.

#1 rule of this hobby is PATIENCE

On 3/7/2012 at 7:45 PM, C.I._Reefer said:

On 3/7/2012 at 7:43 PM, aap15 said:

Im new at this as well but IMO I would slow down. How long have you had this tank running for? Did you go.through a cycle? Seems think you added things already but you said you still ammonia. Personally i'd wait. You removed thay sponge and said it released a brown cloud, im guessing that cant be good. But its your tank.

Do research. Seems like you are unsure and asking a lot of questions. Read read read! Thats the best why to learn. Nano-reef is a great source of info and has helped me greatly and even more so after I read and had a better understanding of the basics

Looks like I was already beat to it

On 3/7/2012 at 7:38 PM, acropora1981 said:

Well I've done some reflecting in the past 8 years and I've finally realized my folly. I'm now past my bratty, ignorant tween phase and want to apologize to all of you who dealt with my lack of perspective on reefing. Can I apologize? Is it too late? Is it sad that I still think about this thread and my former arrogance? 

I'm no baby anymore; I'll have you know that I worked at a fish store AND MADE FAT STACKS. Can any of you say that? No, you can't. And even if you could, I wouldn't hear you because I am sitting in my anechoic walled with FAT STACKS. Go fish yourself.

Best,

Dr. Percy Ingenue II

Okay, so the apology was good. That's very mature. "Go fish yourself" is not.

The second bit of this post kinda ruined any impact of the first, because it sounds pretty immature still. Congrats, you worked at a fish store. Doesn't actually say anything about your knowledge, just your ability to sell things. And I'm not sure why you're yelling at people who... seem to share your opinion of your younger self?