Top Shelf Aquatics

Under 3 Gallon Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey! one more thing! We have our tanks on the same dresser top but not connected in any way! this a kind of a little contest between us to see who can make a better tank too :happydance:

dallasprstn

hey guys, i'm actually going to try and get as many people interested as possible, so lets just try and keep this thread popular for the most entries we can! for those who want to start cycling their tanks, that's alright, just don't add any livestock until i get the dates and deadlines all worked out for the contest. I'll post an official thread that states everything you need to know this upcoming monday and that will give the rundown for the timeline of things. In the meantime, I'm gonna see about some prizes and see if anyone will sponsor the contest! i'll keep posting to keep you guys updated.

dallas.

what if you did an "All stock" category?? stock tank, light and filter for AIO tanks like the jbj but heater and powerhead is exceptable?

dallasprstn

that sounds like a good idea, I'm thinking there should be three winners, Best Overall Pico, Most Unique, and maybe All Stock? that way if price is an issue and you didn't wanna put in too much money, then you could still have a big shot at a prize! if anyone else has some suggestions for categories, post em' here!

that sounds like a good idea, I'm thinking there should be three winners, Best Overall Pico, Most Unique, and maybe All Stock? that way if price is an issue and you didn't wanna put in too much money, then you could still have a big shot at a prize! if anyone else has some suggestions for categories, post em' here!

I think that's a good Idea. Maybe LA giftcard for Best Overall, frags for Most Unique, and a light for all stock. haha because they will probably need it!

dallasprstn
I think that's a good Idea. Maybe LA giftcard for Best Overall, frags for Most Unique, and a light for all stock. haha because they will probably need it!

lol, so true hahah.

DING DING DING!! Thats my issue :)

BEST OVERALL

MOST UNIQUE

ALL STOCK

Awesome!

dallasprstn

sounds good to me, lets wait a little bit and see if anyone else has any ideas, but i think we have the keepers.

But all stock would eliminate those of us without stock tanks from the competition, I'm also not sure how many people would go all stock and it wouldn't really be a competition if it was only 2 or 3 people in that category. just my $0.02.

But all stock would eliminate those of us without stock tanks from the competition, I'm also not sure how many people would go all stock and it wouldn't really be a competition if it was only 2 or 3 people in that category. just my $0.02.

That is true. I think if we get a reasonable amount of interest in all stock its a good idea, otherwise we can just roll with it and turn it into a similar category that appeals to more people. (Maybe a minimalist category?)

yeah, maybe an aquascape or minimalist category would be cool, but again, I think everybody should be eligible for every category, else it should be a separate contest.

I also want everone to have a fair chance. but I would still like to diy everything. its more fun this way. I will send a few lps and or sps frags 2day shipping to the 1st place winner and the Last place winner. just to help promit the contest and to keep people excited. even if u lose the grand prize. You could still win. Anybody like this idea?

+1 This..

I also want everone to have a fair chance. but I would still like to diy everything. its more fun this way. I will send a few lps and or sps frags 2day shipping to the 1st place winner and the Last place winner. just to help promit the contest and to keep people excited. even if u lose the grand prize. You could still win. Anybody like this idea?

+1 This..

+1 to that!

I'd put up some prizes but i don't have anything thats fraggable or something someone would want. been neglecting the tanks too long,

dallasprstn
yeah, maybe an aquascape or minimalist category would be cool, but again, I think everybody should be eligible for every category, else it should be a separate contest.

i know exactly what you're saying, i like the idea of the aquascaping category in place of the stock category, but i'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say minimalistic, because that can mean aquascaping, equipment, tank look, stocking list, etc.

I think we should do these categories and these prizes with them.

-Overall Best Pico: $100 LiveAquaria Gift Certificate(or a different vendor of livestock.)

-Most Unique: Frag Pack( I could do an Aussie Duncan, Christmas Favia, Utter Chaos Zoanthid(or Rasta), and Neon Candy Cane. Other people could also donate if they wanted to.)

-Best Aquascape: 6" Wavepoint LED Fixture.(Or another fixture in that price range.)

Everyone like the sound of that?

i know exactly what you're saying, i like the idea of the aquascaping category in place of the stock category, but i'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say minimalistic, because that can mean aquascaping, equipment, tank look, stocking list, etc.

I think we should do these categories and these prizes with them.

-Overall Best Pico: $100 LiveAquaria Gift Certificate(or a different vendor of livestock.)

-Most Unique: Frag Pack( I could do an Aussie Duncan, Christmas Favia, Utter Chaos Zoanthid(or Rasta), and Neon Candy Cane. Other people could also donate if they wanted to.)

-Best Aquascape: 6" Wavepoint LED Fixture.(Or another fixture in that price range.)

Everyone like the sound of that?

Perfect!!

Is this alright with you dallasprstn?

I dont know what type of lps or sps I will give for 1st place winner and last place. but It will be nice.. fyi Last place meaning if 50 people enter. then the 50th person ranked in the contest will get a little something. I hope this allows people who dont wanna spend lots of money. still have a great reason to enter the contest.

dallasprstn
Perfect!!

Is this alright with you dallasprstn?

I dont know what type of lps or sps I will give for 1st place winner and last place. but It will be nice.. fyi Last place meaning if 50 people enter. then the 50th person ranked in the contest will get a little something. I hope this allows people who dont wanna spend lots of money. still have a great reason to enter the contest.

that sounds great! i'll add it to the prize list, and make sure it gets put in the final cut of the contest thread. I just might stay away from sps as a prize, because i'm not sure if the last place person would be able to keep a frag, maybe give them a few options of your coral and let them choose one or two?

and you guys can call me dallas by the way, its my first name. :happy:

shaneandjohn
Sweet!

Well we had the JBJ 3 gallon set up a few years ago and it has been sitting empty for the last year. I recently posted it for sale on another forum. I would take it off the market and join in on the contest if this was an all stock equipment contest..I think using cured live rock from an existing system would be fair. I really like this idea...I am game for this..what a great idea!!!

I don't really want to spend a lot of money on this contest. I would rather keep it simple.

dallasprstn
Well we had the JBJ 3 gallon set up a few years ago and it has been sitting empty for the last year. I recently posted it for sale on another forum. I would take it off the market and join in on the contest if this was an all stock equipment contest..I think using cured live rock from an existing system would be fair. I really like this idea...I am game for this..what a great idea!!!

I don't really want to spend a lot of money on this contest. I would rather keep it simple.

hey, i'm actually going to take a few pieces of rubble from my larger tank and a scoop of sand from it as well. I don't see a problem of using something from another system, it is just use of your resources, and i know what you mean, but i also think that the all stock puts some people out of the race for a certain prize, an example being DIYer's, but you could always shoot for another category, it's not like a nice aquascape can't be on a budget! I think i'm gonna put about $120 into the system, and then frag some stuff from my big tank actually...i say go for it!

I dont wanna spend to much also. thats why im Diy most things.

Dallas, Ill make the prizes zoa,soft,lsp frags. or If they like any of my Diy stuff. I could do that!

This Contest Rocks!! Using rock from established system sounds good.

Dallas Ill start my contest thead Monday or Tuesday.

See thats why I think I am OK entering with a started tank :) all my stuff is snow white and cant cycle any faster :P this is awesome!

Archived