Cultivated Reef

Under 3 Gallon Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dallasprstn
Interested. Are there specific characteristics judging will be based on or just best looking?

As far as prizes you may want to see if any sponsors want to put something up. I wouldn't mind participating in a "frag side pot". Everyone that chose to could ante up a frag that will survive 2 day shipping and winner takes all.

I was planning on doing something like that with frags, and I'll see if anyone would sponsor this.

For competition I was thinking three different nominations.

-Best Pico(Winner chosen based from most likes on a poll on some survey site)

-Most Unique(I bet I could find someone on the site not in the contest who would judge this.)

-Best Reef Keeper(Based on who could keep the most delicate reef.(Ex: Full SPS Pico.)

I'm still kind of planning it all out, but I'll open a new thread later this week that hmwould have all the rules, timeframe, prizes, nominations, and pretty much go over everything.

dallasprstn
What will the prizes be?

not sure yet, maybe frags, gift certificate to LiveAquaria, or maybe an ecopico light fixture?

I'm gonna see if I can find anyone to sponsor this, but I'm not sure yet.

not sure yet, maybe frags, gift certificate to LiveAquaria, or maybe an ecopico light fixture?

I'm gonna see if I can find anyone to sponsor this, but I'm not sure yet.

Hmm... How much were you thinking? I might be able to work something out. You can PM me if you're interested.

dallasprstn
Hmm... How much were you thinking? I might be able to work something out. You can PM me if you're interested.

how much was I thinking for what?

Participants so far:

Markushka

two ks please.

I gotta clean up my pico then. Can we take LR and corals from established systems? when I took my pico down, everything still alive went back into my other tank.

dallasprstn
For say the liveaquaria giftcard.

I'll pm you

two ks please.

I gotta clean up my pico then. Can we take LR and corals from established systems? when I took my pico down, everything still alive went back into my other tank.

yeah, as long as its not set up right now!

and I actually planned on taking some rock and sand from my 180 to cycle my pico!

Do we have to wait until April 1 to set up? Or wait until April 1 to start adding life?

I would like to have mine cycled before we start so I could add some corals and CUC in April!

just to be ver clear any store bought or DIY under 3gal tanks are ok? I will start building mine this weekend. and start a post also. When excatly can I add water? April 1st?

The jbj 3gal pico on the web site shows the display volume as 3.64gal lol.

So my question is. is there any good way to measure volume? Or is it simply under 3gal because of rock displcment?

fill it with only 3 gallons of SW lol

question: can I dismantle my tank mid-competition and set it up in a different location, without any changes other than that? My lease is ending the 25th of may, not quite sure where i'll be moving, but my pico was designed to be portable.

question: can I dismantle my tank mid-competition and set it up in a different location, without any changes other than that? My lease is ending the 25th of may, not quite sure where i'll be moving, but my pico was designed to be portable.

I love this answer lol

Yeah this will be my situation as I move home for the summer :/ Unless I start it at home and have my parent's watch it cycle for a month...

I'm in! I ordered the JBJ 3 gallon pico yesterday for my desk at work! :D

Addict... ;)

dallasprstn

i think the jbj is acceptable, I don't wanna be too lenient though. I'll set up an official thread tonight of all the rules and deadlines, and I guess that will answer everyone's questions.

to the guys who may move, I don't think there's a problem with you moving it, as long as you don't break any rules of the contest after the move, like switching powerheads or sand, or changing livestock if it's after that deadline.

C.I._Reefer
i think the jbj is acceptable, I don't wanna be too lenient though. I'll set up an official thread tonight of all the rules and deadlines, and I guess that will answer everyone's questions.

to the guys who may move, I don't think there's a problem with you moving it, as long as you don't break any rules of the contest after the move, like switching powerheads or sand, or changing livestock if it's after that deadline.

I'm ok with any of the 3 guys who wanna get in. no problem by me

Pretty excited to dive into this

dallasprstn

me too man!

last thing would be, is everyone okay with those 2 guys who already have tanks joining in as well as long as they don't add anymore livestock until the contest allows it?

me too man!

last thing would be, is everyone okay with those 2 guys who already have tanks joining in as well as long as they don't add anymore livestock until the contest allows it?

Its cool with me!! The more people the better!!

C.I._Reefer
me too man!

Fine by me :)

My tank has about a month to even be safe to MAYBE add a small CUC :P My stocking wont happen till after my birthday... which is late april!

My Girlfriend made an account on here and is getting her pico in the mail soon :) ill get her to join the contest!

dallasprstn

YES! alright well I'm gonna try and keep this topic in the recent threads so we can get the max amount of contestants, but I'll open up "The Official 3 and Under Pico Contest" tonight? sounds good to everyone?

Archived