ReefCleaners.org

Under 3 Gallon Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

dallasprstn

hey everyone, me and a few people from my local reefer club are planning on setting up a little contest(there are about 5 of us) and decided we may end up wanting to set up the contest on here. The tanks we've been looking at are under 3 gallons and we're pretty much debating between these two..

Fluval Spec:

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Desktop-Glass...n/dp/B0047XMQBM

Aqueon Evolve 2:

http://www.petco.com/product/117467/Aqueon...uarium-Kit.aspx

Picotope 3 Gallon:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.asp...ent=PST3-JB7151

-These are just three pretty affordable examples, both will run you around $50 online, and $60 at the lfs.

You do not have to choose one of these tanks, any system

-Any type modding is fine, including, Sumps, Lighting, Flow, Skimming, and pretty much whatever else you can think of is alright.

Rules:

-Tank build thread for the system

-1 Month system setup.

-3 Month's to add livestock.

-2 Month growout period.

-The display must remain under 3 gallons.

-The tank cannot be plumbed into a larger system.

-If the tank crashes during the first month, you can still start over, but after that, you are out of the contest.

-FTS and FES once every two weeks, and final video explaining the system, including livestock and equipment.

I think the only other things to add would be that you can join anytime during the 1 month system setup period, but not after that.

Also, I'd like to have some sort of grand prize for the winner, but i don't know what to get. Up for ideas, but not too pricey..

Let me know if you guys are interested and if i have some people who would wanna join in then i'll try to put an official thread together and get the dates all set. I'd like to see around 10 or 15 people join, because it'd be cool to see where everyone goes with their tanks!

Thanks, Dallas.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dallasprstn
There is one going on right now with the walmart pico.

i know, but it's not like i can join in on that now, and I'm sure there are some other people who might wanna join in on this one. also, i didn't really intend on this to be a copy of that contest..i kinda like the aspect of go all out with the thing..

dallasprstn
wait so you can use any sub 3 gallon tank? I'd probably do it, been thinkin about starting a pico anyway.

timeline?

yeah, as long as the display is under three gallons!

Just set mine up on the first! ill try it out!

hmm...I wasn't planning on starting it for at least another 2 weeks, so I could get as many people as possible, but we'll see..I just don't want anyone having an unfair advantage!

Im in !

sweeeeeet! that's like 5 people so far!

Everything in the tank is all dead... I used dead aragonite sand with this rock... white as paper!

6781578574_6a98fbf249.jpg

Untitled by Chase!?, on Flickr

My tank wont cycle for atleast till end of April to were i can have corals successfully :)

Islandoftiki

Well, I just started my Fluval Spec pest tank. Can I enter that? I only just started it recently.

dallasprstn

I guess to answer both you guys, I think I'd need to take a poll from the others who would like to enter to make sure that no one felt cheated. I was planning starting the building process April 1st so everyone would be able to get enough funds together and also have as many participants as possible. once I figure out how many people are going to join, and their opinions, I'll let both of you guys know. :happy:

Is a 9x9x9 Display small enough? I wanna start a pico anyways. I dont have any thing for it yet. April 1st sounds like a good place to start setting your the pico tanks. Then my the end of april (my birthday) I can start adding

corals. Sooo am I allowed to play in this contest?

List of what Imo would be cool prizes..

mp10es

online gift card to BRS

A new pico tank set up

some type of light fixture for picos or larger.

A refractameter or other usful tools. like fraging kit.

dallasprstn

ANY DISPLAY TANK UNDER 3 GALLONS IS ACCEPTABLE!

and anyone who hasnt set their tank up can enter, as long as there is no water until after April 1st, would everyone be okay with thornchase and islandoftiki entering in the contest? I want to make this as fair as possible.

Interested. Are there specific characteristics judging will be based on or just best looking?

As far as prizes you may want to see if any sponsors want to put something up. I wouldn't mind participating in a "frag side pot". Everyone that chose to could ante up a frag that will survive 2 day shipping and winner takes all.

dallasprstn

Participants so far:

C.I._Reefer

Boboli

banshee

boxboy

Gunbeaux

Markushka

Jacob042426

MFChop

11GTCS

Possible Entries:

Veng

Thornchase

Islandoftiki

Personally, i'm okay with Thornchase and islandoftiki joining, but I want to know everyone is on board before I give them the okay, the only problem I could see it that people who have had their tanks up for a month might want to join and i don't want to let one person in and then someone else get mad if I don't let them in.

I'll get a timeline up later today, but the deadline is to have a picture of your tank up by APRIL 1ST. then a month of modding, two months of stocking, and the last three months would be the grow out period. pictures of your tanks growth would be due by 11:59 PM of the first and third Mondays of the month.

if anyone has comments or suggestions, let me know. I wanna see people go all out with this thing!

Archived