Cultivated Reef

Does chaeto have leaves?

stg2roush

altolamprologus

No macro algae has leaves.

You either just have some type of epiphytic macro growing on top of your chaeto or you have some other type of macro.

altolamprologus
Looks like Caulerpa Prolifera.

^ yep

I have no clue how that could be mistaken for chaeto :rolleyes:

Stupid LFS asked for chaeto and they sent me this. So is this okay in my refugium? and how long of a light cycle so i keep it from going sexual? Read the other thread and it contraddicted itself. 24/7 light or 16 hour cycle?

Or should i scrap it and get real chaeto?

my tang loves it but how bad of a take over would it cause?

It is pretty easy to cut back. I had half a ten gallon tank filled with it and my clowns thought it was a nem. The roots were growing in the sand and it never really got onto the rocks. Kinda pretty when it fills out, for a macro at least.

my tang loves it but how bad of a take over would it cause?

you should have seen my 46g a few months back, i had some of that caulerpa come in on a frag and it took over!!!!! kill it, that stuff it nasty. and I like macros.

btw its not C. prolifera, C. prolifera has longer leaf like structures. this looks like C. brachypus or maybe C. serrulata. Once established it is really hard to get rid of it. I haven't tried tangs, but my urchins wouldn't touch it. even the smallest fragment can start growing again, and its a PITA to manually remove from the rock once attached. I had to dry a lot of my rock to finally kill it.

I wasn't home for a month or maybe 2 when this happened:

DSC_0057.JPG

this was the right side of my 46 after i cleaned it up a bit. i moved all the affected rock to this side before ultimately peroxide soaking & drying it out.

Get emerald crabs, unbeknownst to me they had developed a taste for prolifera and finished 20" strand in less than a few days!

Luckily I was able to save some strands and put it into the fuge.

Archived