Coral Vue Hydros

proposed new system 1

gobies

Thoughts and questions about a possible "nano" setup after we move...

I'll use the 30g long for the main tank. It's 36" long, 17" tall, and 12" deep. I'm going to be getting a BakPak skimmer for the setup -- the system size is such that I don't want to skip a skimmer.

I want to set up a 5.5g tank next to it for a 'fuge. That's the biggest thing that will fit in the available space, which is next to the main tank. They'll be on a big old dresser built of solid pine. I have a fairly large overflow which will get the water from the 30g to the 5.5g, and then I'll use a pump to get it back into the 30g. The overflow is 10" tall, with the bulkhead tube sticking out another 1.5". That's tall enough that I won't need to use any tubing to go from the base of the box to the fuge -- the base of the box will be IN the fuge. Would this work, or am I courting disaster with this setup?

The other option is to use sort of a "double-fuge": two 10g tanks on a double stand next to the 30g. The overflow would feed into the lower 10g. Then one pump would send water up to the upper 10g and a second pump would send water back to the 30g. This gives me the advantage of a lot more system water, but requires an additional pump and additional lighting setup.

The other advantage to this setup: if a mantis shrimp became available, I could put it in the top tank.

What size pumps would I need for these?

I can't really comment on the pump size, but you should avoid having a pump on the return side of a fuge. It'll slice and dice all the nice little critters you have growing in there. That's why fuges are usually gravity-fed down into a main tank.

Yeah, I know. If the dresser had a hutch, I'd be stylin'. But it doesn't, and the hutch on the desk doesn't have enough clearance for even a 10g tank under its bottom shelf. I'm thinking of a 'fuge more in terms of someplace to keep all the caulerpa aka nutrient sponge.

Are there any pumps that are less destructive to the 'pods?

I've dont think most water pumps will grind too many cepepods. Most Amphipods make it through them ok even. The impellor is hardly a razor sharp propellor blade. Most should make it through unscaved.

Archived