Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Feeding a mini maxi carpet

Saltyduck

So I've had this anemone for about 3-4months now. To begin with for the first couple months I pretty much only fed it frozen mysis shrimp when my tank got it and I tried to directly feed it some w/ a pipette. I noticed that it started to get a little dingy in color and it lost some of it's color. So I started to feed it some meater foods. Once I actually fed it some raw chicken. Woops, probably not in it's natural diet. I sliced some tuna steak up in tiny cubes from some that I had and I kept thawing and feeding some of that to it. Anyway now the anemone is brightly colored and getting bigger and very happy. It should be - it was pretty good tuna steak! Anyway, I'm wondering if there was a more practical way of feeding this thing. I don't mind sharing my seafood with it, but I don't get it THAT often and I'm sure whatever fish I get is necessarily in it's natural diet. Are there frozen foods that are meatier out there that are good for anemones? It seems that everything out there are smaller and this one didn't seem to do well on the mysis or brine and seems to really like meaty chunks.

Seamonkey84

Color has more to do with lighting with these guys. Changing bulbs have morphed more than one of mine. What kind of lighting do you have, and what are your parameters? Feeding makes them grow bigger and healthy but not always more colorful. I feed mine frozen krill and mysis, plus what ever else they get from me feeding the sexy shrimp.

When I feed mine, which is quite rare, I feed silversides or krill. They really don't need food, it just speeds up their growth. Mine started to outgrow its spot and sting the surrounding coral, so I have stopped feeding it.

Color has more to do with lighting with these guys. Changing bulbs have morphed more than one of mine. What kind of lighting do you have, and what are your parameters? Feeding makes them grow bigger and healthy but not always more colorful. I feed mine frozen krill and mysis, plus what ever else they get from me feeding the sexy shrimp.

I tested the water and everything is good, my water-test day is Monday so I'll post the parameters tomorrow. I haven't changed the lighting - I use a T5 and Marineland LED's. I haven't changed this anytime soon...just changed it's diet and it seemed to be happier. The water has stayed consistent over the 4mths. The only thing that changed was its diet. I have read that anemones like mussels and clams - but can you get these frozen? Or do you have to go to a seafood shop for these?

When I feed mine, which is quite rare, I feed silversides or krill. They really don't need food, it just speeds up their growth. Mine started to outgrow its spot and sting the surrounding coral, so I have stopped feeding it.

I feed it the "meaty" food about once every 3-4 weeks.....is that too often? Otherwise it just gets mysis when I feed that to the fish - which is about ever 2-3 days. They get New Life International Spectrum Reef Macro-Feeder Formula daily.

You can buy raw shrimp at your local deli and try that. A lot of people make their own food using raw shrimp, raw scallops, etc.

I feed mine mysis, feed the fish, shrimp and they get the leftovers. I really like them, they kinda form a wall in my tank and on one side there'x xenia, so they're forming an ungrowable barrier which keeps the stupid xenia in check :)

Thanks everyone! I really like them too....they seem pretty easy and they come in fun colors. I wish this one chose a slightly more prominent spot, but he's not invisible by any means. I will continue to give it some shrimps and things whenever I go to the seafood section. I've often debated asking them "Can I just have 1 scallop" and see what they say. I'd like to see the look on their face when I say "I need to feed my anemone!

• 2 weeks later...
I've often debated asking them "Can I just have 1 scallop" and see what they say. I'd like to see the look on their face when I say "I need to feed my anemone!

i've done it before. once they find out about the reef tank they're totally cool with it(this is in publix), sometimes they don't even charge :huh::D

HA! I did this recently - I just asked for 1 scallop. They were very obliging! I also found a LFS that had frozen clams! Anemone is very happy now.

Archived