SaltCritters.com

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

LOL, no crowns please but thanks, I am learning as well, I like to read about the scientific aspect of reefing, mainly additives, filtration, and lighting. I do tend to make it all more complicated than it needs to be.

Thank you NeonTrees, the 12" Vertex Illumilux is 18 watts total led. I suggest the white/blue mix one for a reef. I have 18 watts DIY Cree LED over my 3 gallon pico and I would say it is just enough for LPS and montipora SPS only. I think you could get away with it on a 5 gallon but you may be limited on what you can keep for corals. Having the right spectrum LED is important for coral growth and health. If you found it to not be enough light you could always add a Ecoxotic Stunner strip or two down the line. The Vertex LED's are quality lighting, highly recommend them, but they do not come with a dimmer however, you can add a Ecoxotic Dimmer for around $17. The Vertex tank bracket only raises the fixture a couple of inches from the water line, you might consider hanging it as well. There are no optics so the spread is quite wide, 3 inches off the water line should fill the tank corner to corner, no spotlight effect. You will get some shimmer, amount is dependent on surface turbulence.

Cali Tort, pic was taken just after gluing it in, PE is excellent now.

7305282752_f2ce80f098_z.jpg

Thanks for the advice NanoTopia! I don't know what to do now. :unsure: I'm such a indecisive person. I'll probably leave lighting last while I gather all the other things I need. Great looking frags by the way!!! They're very pretty. The purple and green Monti is psychedelic. :happydance:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NeonTrees, if you have a LFS you might check out the lighting they have on display before buying. This might help you decide on the right one for you. Seeing lighting in person working over a reef is the only way to know for sure.

NeonTrees, if you have a LFS you might check out the lighting they have on display before buying. This might help you decide on the right one for you. Seeing lighting in person working over a reef is the only way to know for sure.

That's a good point. My local stores don't have much though. I'll keep looking around. Thanks for the advice NanoTopia. :wizard:

You have a very stunning tank and the colors of your corals are so vibrant.

Thank you shimergloom26, I have one digitata that I bleached after I first got it, was red now pink. I am hoping it continues to colour up, it's taking forever. I am dosing Brightwells and Zeovit with a Low nutrient system.

• 2 weeks later...
Whoa your flickr is amazing, not sure if i missed it but what cam you using????

Thanks Jessy-Ray, DSLR Nikon D3000, standard lens. I shoot in RAW mode so I can restore colour balance, the LED's mess up the camera colour balance quite a bit, especially blues. Then save in JPEG. That's all I touch other than maybe exposure tweaking. I would love to have a macro lens and get some close-ups of my tank.

Thanks Jessy-Ray, DSLR Nikon D3000, standard lens. I shoot in RAW mode so I can restore colour balance, the LED's mess up the camera colour balance quite a bit, especially blues. Then save in JPEG. That's all I touch other than maybe exposure tweaking. I would love to have a macro lens and get some close-ups of my tank.

Pretty damn good for a standard lens!!, What do you use for processing and editing the raw files?

Pretty damn good for a standard lens!!, What do you use for processing and editing the raw files?

Adobe PhotoShop Elements

Cool new montipora. Your description of coloration reminds me of a reverse sunset monti. I've never heard of a Bali montipora though. Do you have any daylight pics?

This is a photo taken just after adding it, polyps were just starting to open. Definitely Bali and like I said not as impressive under day light however it is colouring up and looks better now, sorry no recent pic but I can tell you it is a bit bluer now, polyps dark green.

post-72999-1339939012_thumb.jpg

the new monti looks awesome christine

Thanks JR, just hoping it will colour up a bit. The LFS I got it from had it about 6 weeks in a not so great system. It lost a lot of colour.

Sweet pic, awesome colour on them

Thanks Jessy-Ray, I have had these for a while now, they have coloured up just recently. I'm not big on the names of zoas but think these are "Oregon Ducks" really not sure though.

Very nice zoas!

Thanks Enigma, there spreading quite a bit now.

Latest addition, I really dislike ID'ing these things, wish it was easier. Think it may be Acropora plana or possibly ...

Acropora abrolhosensis Acropora abrotanoides Acropora aculeus Acropora acuminata Acropora akajimensis Acropora anthocercis Acropora appressa Acropora arabensis Acropora aspera Acropora austera Acropora awi Acropora azurea Acropora batunai Acropora bifurcata Acropora branchi Acropora brueggemanni Acropora bushyensis Acropora cardenae Acropora carduus Acropora caroliniana Acropora cerealis Acropora cervicornis Acropora chesterfieldensis Acropora clathrata Acropora convexa Acropora cophodactyla Acropora copiosa Acropora crateriformis Acropora cuneata Acropora cylindrica Acropora cytherea Acropora dendrum Acropora derawanensis Acropora desalwii Acropora digitifera Acropora divaricata Acropora donei Acropora downingi Acropora echinata Acropora efflorescens Acropora elegans Acropora elegantula Acropora elizabethensis Acropora elseyi Acropora exquisita Acropora fastigata Acropora fenneri Acropora filiformis Acropora florida Acropora formosa Acropora forskali Acropora gemmifera Acropora glauca Acropora globiceps Acropora gomezi Acropora grandis Acropora granulosa Acropora haimei Acropora hemprichii Acropora hoeksemai Acropora horrida Acropora humilis Acropora hyacinthus Acropora indonesia Acropora inermis Acropora insignis Acropora irregularis Acropora jacquelineae Acropora japonica Acropora kimbeensis Acropora kirstyae Acropora kosurini Acropora lamarcki Acropora latistella Acropora lianae Acropora listeri Acropora loisetteae Acropora lokani Acropora longicyathus Acropora loripes Acropora lovelli Acropora lutkeni Acropora macrostoma Acropora maryae Acropora massawensis Acropora meridiana Acropora microclados Acropora microphthalma Acropora millepora Acropora minuta Acropora mirabilis Acropora monticulosa Acropora multiacuta Acropora nana Acropora nasuta Acropora natalensis Acropora navini Acropora nobilis Acropora ocellata Acropora orbicularis Acropora palifera Acropora palmata Acropora palmerae Acropora paniculata Acropora papillare Acropora parahemprichii Acropora parapharaonis Acropora parilis Acropora pectinatus Acropora pharaonis Acropora pichoni Acropora pinguis Acropora plantaginea Acropora plumosa Acropora polystoma Acropora prolifera Acropora prostrata Acropora proximalis Acropora pruinosa Acropora pulchra Acropora rambleri Acropora retusa Acropora robusta Acropora rosaria Acropora roseni Acropora rudis Acropora rufus Acropora russelli Acropora samoensis Acropora sarmentosa Acropora scherzeriana Acropora schmitti Acropora secale Acropora sekiseiensis Acropora selago Acropora seriata Acropora simplex Acropora solitaryensis Acropora speciosa Acropora spicifera Acropora squarrosa Acropora stoddarti Acropora striata Acropora subglabra Acropora subulata Acropora suharsonoi Acropora tanegashimensis Acropora tenella Acropora tenuis Acropora teres Acropora tizardi Acropora togianensis Acropora torihalimeda Acropora torresiana Acropora tortuosa Acropora tumida Acropora turaki Acropora tutuilensis Acropora valenciennesi Acropora valida Acropora variabilis Acropora variolosa Acropora vaughani Acropora vermiculata Acropora verweyi Acropora walindii Acropora wallaceae Acropora willisae Acropora yongei

In all seriousness, it's an Acropora sp. If it is a plana, it will table and I have nowhere to put it :unsure:

7488385746_2b9a8b4dd3_z.jpg

This is a photo taken just after adding it, polyps were just starting to open. Definitely Bali and like I said not as impressive under day light however it is colouring up and looks better now, sorry no recent pic but I can tell you it is a bit bluer now, polyps dark green.

That sounds like a pokerstar monti. :huh:

Nice zoas, may we see an updated fts? It's been a while ahah. :lol:

I'm going to wait until mid August for the next FTS, on it's one year anniversary.

That sounds like a pokerstar monti. :huh:

It does, your right but the polyps are dark green ATM, not as striking as a true pokerstar is. I think pokerstar is a morph of this rather common Bali monti. Maybe coloration will change in time.

Wow.love the color on that acro. I'd love to have that

Thanks JR, purples the new brown, I can't stop buying purple corals now. This was a score at the LFS, they had a bunch of these frags, $20 a pop. I am looking for a yellow Acropora nobilis now, purple and yellow corals, mind blowing, lol.

Archived