Cultivated Reef

help ID crab...good or bad?

jahump

emerald crab. good. it eats all kinds of crap

I mean it does look kinda like an emerald but come on don't give him a crab ID without a better picture. You can't even see the body, only some random arms.

OP it could be an emerald crab or it could be a small crab that is going to get huge over time. I don't trust crabs man. Look at my tank thread and check out what a seemingly small crab (that kinda looked like an emerald crab as a baby) turned into. Take a better picture so you can get a better ID. Take it out of the tank and photograph it's body too. All I see are some hairy legs and lots of crabs have hairy legs.

I mean it does look kinda like an emerald but come on don't give him a crab ID without a better picture. You can't even see the body, only some random arms.

it looks exactly like my emerald. same exact body profile with little spikes on the side, same exact legs and the claws look the same if you look from the particular angle. i still vote for emerald.

He's more gray in color like the rock, not green. Initailly I was worried about him being a gorilla, but he doensn't have black tipped claws and his body shape is different. He was a bit aggressive toward a blue legged hermit that got close to him.

I agree it doesn't look like an emerald from what I can make out of the body shape and the claws. It looks more akin to my decorator crab, though it doesn't look like an exact match for that either.

Get a picture from the top of the carapace... it's really difficult to ID something when it's shot from their underside through their legs.

it looks exactly like my emerald. same exact body profile with little spikes on the side, same exact legs and the claws look the same if you look from the particular angle. i still vote for emerald.

Are you sure you have an Emerald crab?

can you ever be sure of *anything* in this hobby?

Exactly so don't tell him it's a harmless emerald without getting a good picture.

Even the first pictures, you can see that he is hairy. If you look in the Mass ID thread, hairy is usually bad. Decorator crabs with rip up your corals and wear them. Kinda cute... super annoying.

I tend not to trust crabs with pointy pinchers and are hairy.

Archived