Innovative Marine Aquariums

DaveG99's Glass Box

Daveg99

finally got everything transferred and set up Sunday. I still need to add sand, more rock, and to set up an auto top off system. But its finally up and running and didnt have any leaks. The glass holes over flow is working silently. My corals arent the happiest but Im sure things will get better soon. Once the water clears up Ill take some better pics with a better camera than my old iphone 3gs.

Water is still a little cloudy

6e00aef9.jpg

the reef octopus skimmer is pulling some nasty stuff already.

2f3228d7.jpg

Edited by Daveg99
Deleted User 3
Bought some new frags today. Got a pink digitata, green digitata, tyree war coral favia, a green and blue stag (forgot the fancy name), some bam bam zoas, an orange meteor shower coral. And all of it was $50. The guy I got it from has a ton more stuff. I'm probably going to go back for more. I really need to get this tank filled so I can have more room. I have 16 frags right now.

16e62d25.jpg

d628a71f.jpg

Very nice colored sticks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just added sand today so the water is cloudy. The white sand really brightens the tank up compared to the black pvc bottom. I reused my sand from my old 40 breeder. I just rinsed it in a 5 gallon bucket until the water looked pretty clean.

4f272c1d.jpg

• 1 month later...

After the move the corals started looking bad and some bleached out from the new ATI fixture. Lately they have been getting their color back and look to be on the road to recovery.

Edited by Daveg99
  • 1 month later...

I added two pieces of dead rock I had in my garage dry for about 2 years. Just let it sit in a bucket of my waste water from my rodi for about 24 hours with a power head and I changed the water once during that time. It hardly caused a cycle at all. I plan on adding a couple more pieces to the sump eventually. Here are some updated pics.

66af5822.jpg

d686378e.jpg

5035838d.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Going to add another clown. So far I only have one fish and its a regular ocellaris clown. I had an LFS order me a black and white ocellaris. Hopefully it will be here soon. And I have also added some rocks to the sump and the tank. Slowly but surely its coming along.

I just started a kalk drip also. I noticed my DKH levels were a bit low so I think that should help keep those up.

I have raised my ATI fixture quite a bit too. It was bleaching my corals.

• 1 month later...

I think my corals have adjusted to the lighting and my tank seems to finally be getting stable. I have been dripping kalk for a couple months now and it keeps up with my evaporation so the drip is like an auto top off as well. I am currently using two 50watt hydor theo heaters I had laying around. One is stuck to the on position. These heaters are junk! Thankfully my tank is about 55 gallons total water volume so the stuck heater doesnt affect it any. I liek to keep my house cold in the winter (65-68) and these little heaters wotn be able to keep up. Im already getting 3-4 degree changes in the tank over one day when it gets cold. Today I should be getting a 200 watt via aqua titanium heater. I ordered it a few days ago and supposedly its a good heater with good reviews. I used a $30 off coupon from MACNA at petsolutions and got the heater plus a 11" pair of tweezers and a couple clamps for $20. I wanted a cobalt heater but they dont sell them so I figured the viaaqua was the best they had. I am positive my SPS dont like 4 degree changes in temperature and this new heater should help keep things more consistent.

Here is an updated picture. Im going to mess with my picture settings on my galaxy S3 and see if I can get a better pic.

20121027_161837-1.jpg

Edited by Daveg99

The via aqua titanium heater is holding the temperature perfectly. I estimate my tank to be about 60 gallons total water volume and this 200 watt heater is perfect. I have it set at 79 and both my thermometers say its at around 78.5.

I changed my lighting a bit. Took a blue plus out and added an aquablue special yesterday

So this is what I have back to front

coral+

blue+

purple+

aquablue special

blue+

blue+

I like it better than what I had before but I think it would be even better with a coral plus in there instead of the aquablue special. I would have gotten a coral plus but SOS lighting (local ATI bulb seller) doesnt carry them. Maybe Ill put an order in soon for some bulbs.

These pictures are taken with my galaxy S3. I can probably play with the settings to make them better once I learn how to do that.

20121108_131642_HDR.jpg

20121108_131630.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I couldnt pass up the deal I got on a few items this black friday/cyber monday. I bought a avast ATO top off at 30% off and I bought a maxspect razor 160watt 16k fixture. So new lights and an ATO are on their way. I will have to see if I like the LED's vs the ATI fixture I have now. Im happy with the ATI but I wanted to try something different.

My maxspect razor r420r 27" 160watt fixture is "out for delivery". Should be waiting for me at home after work. Im excited to try this thing out and compare it to my ATI sunpower 6x24. I will post pictures and my review once I get it set up this evening.

First impression is I LOVE IT! This adjustability is mind blowing after owning a ATI t5 fixture.

well here it is on the tank. I think it looks great! Pics were taken at 80% White and 90% blue

20121201_123313.jpg

20121201_123300.jpg

Maxspect razor

20121201_123226.jpg

Edited by Daveg99
  • 2 weeks later...

I have only dripped lime water but plan on starting to dose so I have been taking some readings with my red sea test kit. I stopped dripping lime water for a couple days before theses readings were taken.

12/14/12

Ca: 450

DKH: 9.8

Mag:1300

12/16/12

Ca: 440

DKH:9.8

Mag:1300

I guess my small frags dont use up much. Im probably going to just keep on dripping the 1.5 gallons of lime water every other day like I have been. It seems to be keeping up with my levels. I also do a 10% water change weekly so that might also be contributing to maintaining the levels.

I took some new pictures with my phone too.

20121211_170744.jpg

20121211_170755.jpg

20121211_170841.jpg

20121211_170903.jpg

20121211_170953.jpg

Edited by Daveg99
  • 3 months later...

Nemo decided to go carpet surfing. Found him dried up on the carpet after work today. I never had a fish jump in my 10 years of reefing. Im going to be moving into a house in a couple weeks. Im thinking of selling this tank and doing a 5-6' foot long by 16-18" wide shallow tank. It would fit perfect in my foyer in my new house. But for now ill probably just set this one back up. Well its time to search for another nemo

• 4 months later...