Cultivated Reef

3 hours ago, holy carp said:

Thanks.  I think I just have to plan 5x the unions and ball valves that I previously had in mind.  :D  Color TBD, but in addition to orange, that blue is impressive looking.

The BRS 160 is blue and grey Sch 80 as well if you like that color combo.

Definitely do the true union valves and unions.  It makes it so easy to take apart sections and tweak them as needed, clean parts, and move the entire tank if needed.

• Like 2

Yeah, that plumbing is pretty slick on the 160. 

But what's a "true" union valve?  Does that just mean that it has a union on both sides of the valve?

tanacharison
5 hours ago, holy carp said:

Yeah, that plumbing is pretty slick on the 160. 

But what's a "true" union valve?  Does that just mean that it has a union on both sides of the valve?

You can replace the valve between the unions without having to replace any extra plumbing.  Its a great feature to have however good valves almost never go

bad, even less often if you give all of your valves a spin every few months to break off the growth.

• Like 1

Finally got my real ATO and dosing containers!

My mounting board is now gone and I'm going to mount the powerbar to the back wall and the apex head unit on the right.  All cords will be contained behind the Alk and Ca containers and covered with a walnut board.

fypouGQh.jpg

FQw5oF7h.jpg

AbDbz5Jh.jpg

PMUP was a perfect fit. Added the optical sensor on the bottom and tested that out as well.

• Like 13
19 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

B) Very cool!  Does the apex pump in the ATO stand up strait on its own really well?

It stands upright fairly well on its own if the cord is vertical.  Neptune recommends putting the sensor 2.5" above the bottom of your container incase it ever tipped over.  Having the cord and tubing upright and more taut means its not going anywhere.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Its been awhile since I posted. Not much new on the new tank. 

Still testing Neptunes ATK. Were already on firmware version 10, 4 above the ones currently being shipped out. So we've found lots of little quirks and made improvements to the alarms and various safety delays.

My daughter and I attended our local reef store (Saltwater Empire) Kids Day event a few weekends ago. She got herself a nice squirt toy and Dory tattoo. I won the last prize remaining and it was a Peppermint Angelfish print done by Nori. Even over the tank and coral cash I honestly wanted the painting the most as I didn't have a need for more corals or tank. I ordered a picture frame off Amazon as I had some credit and even after searching through probably 100s of frames I thought I found a good one. When it arrived it was a cheapo dense cardboard frame with a wooden looking sticker wrap that was also darker than the product photo. Frustrated I sent it back and got a full refund.

I had some extra wood from my tank stand and have a few woodworking tools so I decided to just build my own frame and have it match the tank.

k4n8bLUh.jpg

Lots of sanding and poly coats later and Im really happy how it turned out. Its nothing compared to the stand but I'm pretty proud of it.

T4EOB6bh.jpg

• Like 22
  • 3 weeks later...

Great build Scorched!

Can I ask where you got the mini reactors from? I had a look on BRS and the ones listed are white on top (which id like to avoid).

Cheers

And... now you will appreciate the print and frame more than ever.  I love to see folks make use of what they have and diy. 

• Like 2
On 5/13/2017 at 5:28 AM, lukusis said:

Great build Scorched!

Can I ask where you got the mini reactors from? I had a look on BRS and the ones listed are white on top (which id like to avoid).

Cheers

Exact same reactor.

BRS just sells the single with a color scheme I wasn't in love with either.

I bought all of the parts individually from RODI and Water Filtration companies.  This also allowed me to turn it into a dual reactor.  Some of the parts are available on Amazon.  Search Pentek #5 Slim Line.  You can then choose the cap with the type of pipe connector and size you need as well as different mounting options.

A lot of the prices vary quite a bit depending on when you buy them and vendor.   For example I bought the clear sumps @ $5.59 each and they are now $15.72.  Do a little digging around the web and Im sure you can get them for less than $10 and order the black caps at the same time.

The only thing I ordered from BRS was the short internal canisters to hold the media.

• Like 2
On 5/13/2017 at 10:25 AM, Nixperience said:

Wow dude. Tank is awesome! What kind of butterfly fish is that? 

Thanks!  Yep its an Angelfish...  But which one were you asking about, the picture or the one in my tank?

In the tank is a Venustus Angel, the framed picture is of the famous and super expensive Peppermint Angel (Paracentropyge boylei) 

16 hours ago, Scorched said:

Exact same reactor.

BRS just sells the single with a color scheme I wasn't in love with either.

I bought all of the parts individually from RODI and Water Filtration companies.  This also allowed me to turn it into a dual reactor.  Some of the parts are available on Amazon.  Search Pentek #5 Slim Line.  You can then choose the cap with the type of pipe connector and size you need as well as different mounting options.

A lot of the prices vary quite a bit depending on when you buy them and vendor.   For example I bought the clear sumps @ $5.59 each and they are now $15.72.  Do a little digging around the web and Im sure you can get them for less than $10 and order the black caps at the same time.

The only thing I ordered from BRS was the short internal canisters to hold the media.

Awesome, much appreciated!

Any progress on the tank to date?

On 5/15/2017 at 9:02 AM, Nixperience said:

Yes the one in your tank. Looks sweet, but I never see that kind around. 

Thanks.  Its one of the rarer angelfish and due to its sensitivity in collecting, adaptation to aquariums, and getting them to eat not many people have success in the long term.  If you find one available for sale almost all of them will say its not guaranteed under the "Stay alive" policies.

Nixperience
13 minutes ago, Scorched said:

Thanks.  Its one of the rarer angelfish and due to its sensitivity in collecting, adaptation to aquariums, and getting them to eat not many people have success in the long term.  If you find one available for sale almost all of them will say its not guaranteed under the "Stay alive" policies.

Wow! I'll avoid that one then haha. 

• 3 weeks later...

The decision has been made.  The tank is staying in the house!  Corals are being transferred home and something more simple will be at work.

Dave hooked me up with a sweet Quad Nanobox fixture.  I'm waiting on walnut lids to match the stand but until then I wanted to get the light hung and get things going with the Apex.

Dave does 2 hoops on the lights for wire suspension hanging.  

33988856592_af3a509c18_k.jpg

In the end I decided to do 1 point suspension and buy my own wire hanging kit.  This meant cutting Daves wiring and doing my own mount.  When I get the Walnut lids they will be blank so I wont have the 2 empty holes.

G3mmSYhh.jpg

The new gripper is attached to the center of the light so the fixture stays level.  A nut at the bottom keeps it secure but is an issue with attaching it to the light fixture.

gkcg0Jth.jpg

I need a small gap between the lid and the fixture itself to make room for that nut.  Next came drilling into the beautiful light.  I was a little nervous as the wiring is right below the spot I need to drill.  

0kadZO5h.jpg

A little more ragged than I would have liked but I didn't hit the wires and the rough edge will be covered by the lid.

UhNoXHmh.jpg

06Wc2dsh.jpg

Carefully measure out the location on the ceiling and Success!

zU9hvhYh.jpg

True FTS before the corals go in this weekend or next (Its our anniversary this weekend so doing a lot of fishy things may be best held off for another week)

4Q02Uin.jpg

• Like 15
5 hours ago, samnaz said:

Absolutely beautiful. 

Do you have a leveling mat beneath that tank?

Yep there is a mat underneath the tank as well as the granite to remove all pressure points.