Cultivated Reef

7 hours ago, ajm83 said:

Saw a post on reddit and wondered if it was this tank.   Looking great, well done!

Thanks!

Ya I haven't taken pictures or shown anyone progress in awhile so I just dumped it on a few various sites and apps.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Hi Scorched, just a shoutout to ya.

I've quit the hobby since 2015 and stumbled onto your youtube vids sometime this year.

Along with Tamberav's 22G thread, I was hooked. Decided to come back into the hobby - all because of you!

Tank will be coming next week, and my goal is to have a similar setup like yours.

You're a true inspiration here, if nobody told you that already.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 11:21 AM, CalvinKlein said:

Hi Scorched, just a shoutout to ya.

I've quit the hobby since 2015 and stumbled onto your youtube vids sometime this year.

Along with Tamberav's 22G thread, I was hooked. Decided to come back into the hobby - all because of you!

Tank will be coming next week, and my goal is to have a similar setup like yours.

You're a true inspiration here, if nobody told you that already.

Thanks for the kind words Calvin.  Sorry that my youtube videos have been lacking lately.  I haven't posted one of this tank in awhile.  Just a photo or two here and there.

If you have any questions about the build or anything reef related let me know.  I hope your next build is great and is is very successful.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
On 11/2/2019 at 10:15 PM, Scorched said:

I3OArWA.jpg

4URWQuW.jpg

3QUXy22.jpg

Gotta carry this over to the next page! Absolutely stunning! 🤤 The colors are unreal. Looks like smooth sailing over the summer, did you end up keeping your light tilted for long?

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • 1 month later...

I love the orange octospawn, That is on my wishlist or the gold one. Hoping some eventually show up from indo as they seem pretty uncommon and I always miss the FS thread. 

• Like 2

Hey Scorched, just sharing my tank that was an inspiration from yours! Tank was setup in Dec 2019 and running strong. Thanks again for being such an inspiration, this tank wouldn't be possible if not for your youtube vids.

PS: tamberav, yours too!

2020-02-02 17.58.20.jpg

• Like 3
On 2/2/2020 at 3:59 AM, CalvinKlein said:

Hey Scorched, just sharing my tank that was an inspiration from yours! Tank was setup in Dec 2019 and running strong. Thanks again for being such an inspiration, this tank wouldn't be possible if not for your youtube vids.

PS: tamberav, yours too!

2020-02-02 17.58.20.jpg

Excellent setup and progress already with it only being setup in Dec!!  

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
My last main post was from back in Nov

Anyway a bit has happened since then.

My tank took a turn for the worst during the winter and corals didn't do so well.  A few coral deaths and many of the others were barely hanging on.  Thin tissue, recession, color loss, etc.  In the end I don't know exactly what the problem was but in the end I just stopped being lazy and took initiative to get the tank looking its best again.  Salinity, and the major elements were all stable throughout winter but my temp swayed a bit here and there and my nitrate and phosphate was getting out of hand.  Maxed out my Red Sea Nitrate test and Maxed out my PO4 checker.

I started to get that under control with a couple back to back 50% water changes and Phosphate E (Used the WWCs method as that seemed to be their go to choice for PO4).  Both knocked those bad values down.  It also lead to a mishap with one of my large water changes.  This was maybe my 3rd or 4th one that I did in Feb.  One of the salt water jugs wasn't mixed well enough and when I went to dump it in the last couple cups of water that went into the tank were a white slushy of concentrated salt.  It landed on a few on my corals and within a few minutes they bleached out and looked terrible.  Luckily thats all it was and they still survived.  A few more water changes and the water was kept stable enough for them to bounce back.

During all of these water changes I was more in tuned with the tank and this lead to a discovery that my NeoTherm heaters were starting to malfunction.  Luckily I run two.  One wasn't even turning on at all, and the other seemed to struggle to maintain 78 degrees.  I tried to adjust it higher and in the end I screwed up that heater.  It is now stuck on the max temp and won't adjust back down.  By chance I had a backup heater that I planned to use for a saltwater mixing container that never got created.  So this backup heater is now in the tank.

And then to add to the chaos my EB832 started to fail.  The outlets were no longer switching on and off correctly.  Some would stay stuck in the on position and others were stuck off.  I put in an RMA and got the tank Frankensteined together until I got it back.  So many of my items use 1Link that this meant I also needed to swap pumps and use other methods until I got it back.

CMTUJy2h.jpg

The new powerbar showed up last week so on Thursday I took the challenge to get everything hooked back up.  I even went the extra mile to disassemble everything and clean it top to bottom along with a massive water change.

0mRKtMah.jpg

Corals and Fish are all doing much better.  That I will save for a new update shortly.
  • Like 7
CalvinKlein

Hey Scorched, it sucks that things happen in this hobby. I too had my share of mishaps.

Went to bed at 3am with the tank looking its best I've seen and woke up at 6am to find my living room soaked in water. Apparently, in those 3 hrs I went to bed the filter floss decided to clog itself and sigh...

I'm currently going through NO3 spikes and alk swings too, resulting in losing some sps. Just have to take it all in as part and parcel of reefing I guess. Hang in there mate!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

Hey Scorched, it sucks that things happen in this hobby. I too had my share of mishaps.

Went to bed at 3am with the tank looking its best I've seen and woke up at 6am to find my living room soaked in water. Apparently, in those 3 hrs I went to bed the filter floss decided to clog itself and sigh...

I'm currently going through NO3 spikes and alk swings too, resulting in losing some sps. Just have to take it all in as part and parcel of reefing I guess. Hang in there mate!

Water outside its tank is the worst.  Everything can get ruined pretty quickly from saltwater.

All the hiccups and setbacks but we continue to press on, learn, improve, and make the tank better.

I hope you get your Nitrate and Alk under control.  It took about a month or two of diligent work for me to turn the tank around, but its almost back to its prime once again. 

Now dont get lazy Scorched... 

• Like 2

I got zapped by a neotherm last week. Notoriously terrible heaters. I honestly don’t understand how they’re still in production.

Im super happy to see you putting your all back into this tank. It’s a truly fantastic reef. Looking forward to more updates. 

13 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

I got zapped by a neotherm last week. Notoriously terrible heaters. I honestly don’t understand how they’re still in production.

Im super happy to see you putting your all back into this tank. It’s a truly fantastic reef. Looking forward to more updates. 

I know I got zapped by a different NeoTherm maybe 5-6 months ago.  With 2 more failures back to back I'm switching to something else.   They maintained temp very well and had a very nice form factor, but if they are unreliable in the long term its close to worthless and makes all the positive features moot.

On 3/6/2020 at 12:20 PM, Scorched said:

I know I got zapped by a different NeoTherm maybe 5-6 months ago.  With 2 more failures back to back I'm switching to something else.   They maintained temp very well and had a very nice form factor, but if they are unreliable in the long term its close to worthless and makes all the positive features moot.

Really? I’ve been using (new) neos for 3 years on my 22, and the only issue I’ve had was when I forgot to plug them in! What are you swapping to? I feel like it’s one of those things that you’re going to have such a mixed spread of opinions on, I’ve spent a good afternoon just reading ATO reviews, they are all across the board for all brands. *shrug*

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thanks everyone who liked and commented - I got #1 community appreciated during the live stream - However the winner of the $2,100 Abyzz pump went to #4 😥

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I gave #8 the big blue thumb and commented.  

@Scorched, how's the tank?  

Tank is doing awesome.  Self Quarantine and having the tank behind me every day has helped keep it looking great.

s8niPea.jpg

• Like 11
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 12:26 AM, Scorched said:

Thanks for the kind words Calvin.  Sorry that my youtube videos have been lacking lately.  I haven't posted one of this tank in awhile.  Just a photo or two here and there.

If you have any questions about the build or anything reef related let me know.  I hope your next build is great and is is very successful.

Beautiful tank! I’ve been out of the hobby for about 5 years, but seeing this also inspired me to build a new tank similar. Version 2.0 is sweeeeeet.
 I know you provided your drilling diagram early on, but do you have an updated one (perhaps in inches)?

Mainly, how far from the top edge of the glass is the center of the large (1 3/4”) hole?