Pod Your Reef

Lookin good! I am diggin that wrasse 🙂🤑

Is that a Nori Vossen painting? I have one of her prints over my cold water tank. 

• Like 2
pappadumplingz

Looking good mate! You are definitely the main inspiration for wanting to set up a 12 gallon long. Got one waiting to be set up, just need to figure out how to plumb the thing haha

• Like 4
1 hour ago, TJ_Burton said:

Beauty! Haha the little one looks like they either really enjoy the tank, or being on camera, or both!

Its definitely both.  Shes a social butterfly even as a one year old.  She will give anyone she sees a wave and a hug.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Lookin good! I am diggin that wrasse 🙂🤑

Is that a Nori Vossen painting? I have one of her prints over my cold water tank. 

Its a Nori painting.  I won it from a LFS anniversary party.  I made the frame out of the same dark walnut that the stand is made out of so they match.

• Like 3
On 5/21/2019 at 9:52 AM, DaveFason said:

I can come back to this tank after not seeing it for a while and smile each time. Well done Eric. 

-D

19 hours ago, ef4life said:

Your reef and entire setup is beautiful. So clean 

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Simply stunning @Scorched! All the coral are filling in so nicely now, it's just perfect.

Killer work on the Trident video too! That's a sweet gig, you knocked it out of the park. 👍

Ya Neptune really hit it out of the park with the Trident.  The testing period had very few bugs to work out and it was a great time to do the video behind the scenes.  Im sure the demand for the product was already very high but I like to think the video added a little extra oomf to that demand.

• Like 1

Someone was selling this tank locally for $30 and Google search brought me to your YouTube videos. Amazing tank!!!! It makes me want to get one.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Going to try a little experiment for a few days/weeks.  I have amazing coloration from the top but looking straight into the tank shows pale coloration or die off.  Im going to keep the light pointing at the fronts of corals for awhile and then I'll move it back up to its normal hanging position every so often to keep the same color and growth form.

trp6vka.jpg

jLmytRx.jpg

yaHezZ1.jpg

janwkW9.jpg

Jpt4lgO.jpg

ZMFkcuV.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2

@Scorched the light fall off will be pretty harsh at that angle. Can you slightly tilt the light? 3-5 degrees will make a HUGE difference. On my Red Sea I have my light tilted slightly after Jake at RB showed me the trick. 

-D

Frag Factory

I have the AI Prime on my tank very far forward pointing at the back of the tank for this reason.

I guess this is why hybrid T5/LED units work so well.

Great idea though!

2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

@Scorched the light fall off will be pretty harsh at that angle. Can you slightly tilt the light? 3-5 degrees will make a HUGE difference. On my Red Sea I have my light tilted slightly after Jake at RB showed me the trick. 

-D

I actually updated my "stick" to something a bit more robust using a 2x4 with an angle cut to match the aquarium and granite.  This larger heavier brace is able to hold the light so the LEDs are more at a 45 degree angle and shoot straight at the corals rather than at the granite/floor

1 hour ago, Frag Factory said:

I have the AI Prime on my tank very far forward pointing at the back of the tank for this reason.

I guess this is why hybrid T5/LED units work so well.

Great idea though!

Ya I've contemplated adding a T5 bulb to the front and back of the nanobox fixture but it fights with my design aesthetic.  It would need to be the full 36" long and probably 14+" wide to give me the coverage I'm looking for.

Larger tanks are more successful with LEDs as they can have 6+ fixtures laid out in a grid with varying tilts applied.  And with larger tanks they usually include T5s, Metal Halides, and Long LED stripes to get wider spectrum and coverage.

For right now its easy enough for me to add and remove my bracket that I'm going to try this for a week or so, set it back to overhead for a week, then swap back and see how things work.  It'll just be on me to see how diligent I can be to alternate for the time being.

4 hours ago, k4ndyk1ng said:

Loooking great, how long have you had the starfish?

The starfish I haven't had that long.  A few months.

I've probably had 3-4 starfish in the 7 years of this tank.  Each one seems to last about a year or two.

• Sad 1

Tested this guy for about a month.  Nice and quiet and supposedly more reliable than v1.  But I never had any issues with the first one for 2 years.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

• Like 1

Not only is your tank beautiful, but your sump is immaculate! 😳

How often do you clean it? 

Does it always look that way?

Kudos but you’re killin me! 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Not only is your tank beautiful, but your sump is immaculate! 😳

How often do you clean it? 

Does it always look that way?

Kudos but you’re killin me! 

Thank you!

Starting off with a good layout and quick access to everything makes everything easier to maintain.  I honestly don't clean the sump very often.  I swap the socks about once a week and blow the detritus into the return pump around the same time.  This forces it into the reactors or into the display so it can eventually be trapped in the socks on the next cycle.  I clean the skimmer 2-3 times a week if its looking nasty.

I've only pulled out the sump once to do a through cleaning and even then it wasn't because it was dirty but because I needed to alter my drains ever so slightly to get my siphon restarting faster.

The tank is kinda the same way.  I use a turkey baster to stir up the sand to get the detris into the overflows and into the socks and I use my glass magnet about once a week.

Once its looking clean its easier to keep it that way.  The amount of time needed to go from 90% clean to 100% takes very little time and you're more motivated to doing it when everything is looking healthy and clean.

It wasn't always this way though.  During most of 2018 my tank was declining for months and nothing seemed to work.  This lead to frustration and laziness and that just compounded the issues.  

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...