inTank Media Baskets

3 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Great and thanks for the info. So just to make sure. It needs a APEX base or EL. Only reason I ask is I am very curious on the product. If I could stand alone for $600-700 no problem. But needing to buy a "brain" for $399.95 gets it up there. 

Depends on what you have or want to have in the future.  The EL is a more powerful Apex Jr.  It has the newest head unit and the new Energy Bar.  The cost is lower because it doesn't include salinity, orp, or variable voltage connections (Which is how I'm controlling the Nanobox Quad)

If you already had an Apex Classic the head unit gets you up to date with the latest software and control but you are using the older energy bars that don't have 1link or power monitoring.

For someone that doesn't own any Apex products but wants the Trident it seems like a large pill to swallow though.

• Like 1

Right now we are just letting the Trident test our tanks.  No one is using it to adjust dosing yet.  At a later stage that will be ran through its paces.  Until then this is how its described to work.

• Like 1

Okay thanks, look forward to seeing how that works. It's all very cool although I am not sure it is impressive if someone has a stable tank where apex does all the work 😉

I have a morning ritual of hand dosing and testing right now. 

I will have to upgrade to a new apex head to use this, gulp. 💰

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 7:57 PM, IceParrot said:

Sorry for the bump, but how is the tank going? This is my favorite build thread so just wanted an update. 🙂

I'll post some new images of the tank tomorrow or this weekend,  I've finally dialed in my dosing with the Trident, gotten a few new corals and fish and, and overall things are looking much better compared to my disaster photo from 2018 (which I will share)

• Like 4

Ahhh the things I do and money I spend to have a clean Trident installation.

2iwU3uMl.jpg

GkSfqt9l.jpg?1

After the plumbing has throughly cured I'll get the new wider shelf up tomorrow while Minnesota deals with another blizzard.

• Like 3

Final mounting

The previous check valve and true union got in the way. Check valve is now flipped and ball valve was rotated 90 degrees. 1Link, intake, and waste lines are secured with wire routing clips to prevent pinching or tugging with the door opening and closing. I will also probably add some small vertical supports to keep it from sliding. Or I will drill 4 holes through the shelf and screw up bolts from the bottom into the rubber feet holes.

SvvDSI1l.jpg

When the door closes, the shelf just barely clears the top of the top off box and comes within mm of the vertical plumbing.

ArzOd1jl.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2

As promised here is the tank as of Oct 31 (Halloween) 2018

vCysUpB.jpg

Here is the tank at the moment.  Picked up a bunch of replacement corals.  I definitely need a few years of growth to get back to where I was.  My Midas blenny and fathead anthias passed away around Christmas.  In the photo are 2 new fish, a replacement blenny and a helfriechi firefish.  I wanted to get another fathead but when I ordered the fish on LiveAquaria's Presidents day sale none were available (They were available the day before sitting in my cart, and went back in stock the day after the sale...)

7wtcUN4.jpg

• Like 9

A new start! And it looks good. 

Sorry you lost the fish 😞 do you know what caused it ? I don't think they would be affected by nitrate and po4.

Glad the angel is okay though! 

I am so glad you updated with the good and the bad. It shows what a bit of elbow grease will do. 

I am stoked to see the next few months. With the addition of the Triton I think you will be on top of everything. 

Keep it up! 

-D

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

This is one of my favorite tanks. Even when it was ugly 🙂

Now it looks beautiful. It's going to be really special when it's grown out.

• Like 3

FTS of April 2019

qDHekMd.jpg

Some before and after Trident of the Nauti Spiral - It truly is my canary in the coal mine.  If its feeling sick it looks a drab brown orange.  If its healthy and thriving it turns a golden color with a pink rim.

1tsovEZ.jpg

GbzITTt.jpg

I picked up a nice Hawkins coral.  This has been one of my all time favorite corals along with the Oregon Tort.  Now with achieving good tank stability I truly think I can keep both of these vibrant blue and have them grow.

FgM9aPN.jpg

And just a nice new shot of the Midas Blenny.

L8rkEb3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 4

The tank just turned 7 years old a few days ago.

I've gone back and added additional Archival FTS photos to the first post.  There was a long time where the tank was just looking awful due to the new setup and move, and then it completely crashed and I didn't want to do anything with the tank or share its state.  But it needs to be included in the timeline.  The tank has really been on a roller coaster ride for sure.  There are so many cool corals that I've had over the years that didn't make it.   I wish I could have seen what they would have turned into if they made it to this point. 

• Like 5

Many beautiful and successful tanks have their low points, especially nano's. It just comes with the territory, especially SPS. 

I love the new additions! I have a hawkins and oregon tort as well, gorgeous corals. I find them to be hardy tbh. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
8 hours ago, Scorched said:

Nauti Spiral - It truly is my canary in the coal mine.  If its feeling sick it looks a drab brown orange.  If its healthy and thriving it turns a golden color with a pink rim.

I did not know that about this particular Monti.  Mine has been slowly turning yellow, from bright orange.  It was also drab orange at times in the past too, I just thought it could only get to bright "metallic" orange with pink rim.  I just wish the blue polyps show up more. Hope you're right, and this is a good sign on the Monti cuz yours looks really cool!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nope that is way too long...lol

How you like the dos? I have brs ones but prob switch them when I get a Trident. I feel like reviews were mixed though.

DaveFason

@Scorched I am so glad another company chose you. Your work is top notch and to this day I love the video you put together for NanoBox. 

This looks very polished. I may pull the trigger on one. 😄

-D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 5/8/2019 at 2:43 AM, Tamberav said:

How you like the dos? I have brs ones but prob switch them when I get a Trident. I feel like reviews were mixed though.

I love my DOS.  Its so easy to set the ml/day or hour range you want it to go and it automatically splits the amount into tiny increments to prevent precipitation and smooth out your Alk and Ca consumption.  It does all the tracking/logging for you, and then presents that for you in Fusion.

tPGOlIt.png

Im trying to maintain ALK at 8.5 and Ca around 400.  You can quickly glace at the Trident and see the last test that happened a few hours ago and then if you are trending up or down go into the DOS and adjust it even .1 or .2 ml and see the difference.  You can also do Day/Night splitting so that you are dosing more during the day when corals are consuming and do less at night when they are resting.  The last step is then turning on the Auto function to let Apex adjust the DOS up or down as the Trident reports back tests. 

HHOBaP2.png

EqufgjNl.jpg

The last photo is a bit old but it shows how it works.  I've since changed it to allow up to 30% adjustments if it needs to.  Thats shown in the DOS interface with the little grey bubble icon.

• Like 4
On 5/8/2019 at 7:56 AM, DaveFason said:

@Scorched I am so glad another company chose you. Your work is top notch and to this day I love the video you put together for NanoBox. 

This looks very polished. I may pull the trigger on one. 😄

-D

Thanks Dave!!

It actually took a lot of emails and convincing to get Terence to finally agree to make a product video.

A Trident or a new fully 3D video for Nanobox this time? 

😛

Cause either one will be great.

• Like 3