Top Shelf Aquatics

3 hours ago, xilez said:

Everything looks great! Whats you midday light settings? 

Here is my Apex graph for the 4 channels I have control over.

I still think it could be tweaked slightly.   Maybe less or more intensity right at peak?  Maybe a shorter photo period overall? 

ONOzK0q.png

20 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Very nice. Your old office build was on of the reasons I went with my Mr. Aqua 22L. This is looking great as well. 

20 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

The office build was truly an inspiration.  I'm glad to see this tank is still going strong. 

9 hours ago, RollaJase said:

Stunning, beautiful tank.

19 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Looks great!  That Angel cracks me up. :lol:

Thanks guys!!  Ya that Angelfish is quite the character.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

This is looking fantastic! I love the new walnut lids, I've got one on my Mini over the IM10. I've go to ask, though, how do you keep your sump so clean? Did you clean it up just for the picutres? :)

• Like 1

The new lids are great! Now I want one...

The cabinet is as clean as ever, nice work. 

Where did you get the art above your tank? Who's the artist? I've been looking for something to put on the wall above mine

• Like 1
19 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Love the look of a clean sump. At what stage did you start dosing? 

Thanks.  Since this was a tank transfer I started dosing right away.  I was doing Kalk with my top off on my previous tank.  I decided to do the DOS with 2 part on this build.

9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

This is looking fantastic! I love the new walnut lids, I've got one on my Mini over the IM10. I've go to ask, though, how do you keep your sump so clean? Did you clean it up just for the picutres? :)

Its much easier to keep it clean if you have a good design and layout from the start.  That way its easier to access, clean, and maintain the parts inside.  I may have wiped up some water and salt drips but other than that it looks pretty much like that all the time.

6 hours ago, Justind823 said:

The new lids are great! Now I want one...

The cabinet is as clean as ever, nice work. 

Where did you get the art above your tank? Who's the artist? I've been looking for something to put on the wall above mine

The artwork I have above the tank I won at a LFS raffle.  The artist is local to the Twin Cities MN.  Her name is Nori Vossen  https://www.vossenaquatics.com/artwork

Her husband is Chad Vossen, he does a lot of rare fish breeding and you may have heard his name before.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Is that your tank featured in reef hobbyist magazine? Very nice, congrats. 

It is.  Thank you!

I was so happy to be contacted by the magazine for the article and share the progress of the tank through the years.  My only gripe now seeing it online are the photos.  They asked me to provide everything RAW and at as large of a size as possible since it was going to be printed.  I also did something I shouldn't have done and used a friends camera I had no experience using.  It took amazingly sharp high res photos (Nikon D850).  I had a very tough time white balancing the shots and their editor seemed to have a similar hard time post processing them.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Scorched said:

It is.  Thank you!

I was so happy to be contacted by the magazine for the article and share the progress of the tank through the years.  My only gripe now seeing it online are the photos.  They asked me to provide everything RAW and at as large of a size as possible since it was going to be printed.  I also did something I shouldn't have done and used a friends camera I had no experience using.  It took amazingly sharp high res photos (Nikon D850).  I had a very tough time white balancing the shots and their editor seemed to have a similar hard time post processing them.

I’m glad you brought that up because I thought it was a printing issue or something............my first thought was “they did you wrong”! 

8 hours ago, Scorched said:

It is.  Thank you!

Very cool! I figured something was different for this set. One thing I learned from a good friend, never send anyone raw photos. It looks like the photos had a couple presets then slightly tweaked. 

-D

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Very cool! I figured something was different for this set. One thing I learned from a good friend, never send anyone raw photos. It looks like the photos had a couple presets then slightly tweaked. 

-D

Ya.  I should have stuck with my T2i and own editing ability and then just sent the largest jpegs after running them through Lightroom myself.  Live and learn, just gotta keep the tank going and make it better for a new article in the future.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Scorched said:

Ya.  I should have stuck with my T2i and own editing ability and then just sent the largest jpegs after running them through Lightroom myself.  Live and learn, just gotta keep the tank going and make it better for a new article in the future.

Nice! Still rocking the T2i? Me too...:lol:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
GrumpyDaddy68

Hi Scorched,

First of all... Amazing tanks!

I'm new in the hobby and I had already make up my mind to build a 24gal cube; however, I came across your tank and now I having seconds thoughts.

I would like to still go with a 24gal long (I believe having a few more gallons it would be easier for a beginner).

I have reading this thread for 3 days... and I have several questions for you.

Do you have any recommendations and things you would do different for a little larger tank?

Your stand looks awesome; do you have any details on dimensions?

I have looked and I have not seen any other tanks with such a nice/original plumbing idea. Congrats!!

And finally;

Do you have an updated material list from your 2.0 build?

Thanks in advance,

• Like 2

V2.0 has been going for a while and is presumably stabilized.  At this point, how do you like the nanobox on that tank?  Looks like a lot of light spillage (not surprisingly) but the coral colors looked pretty rich.  Now that you've been running under them for long enough that the corals have fully acclimated, let's have an update on the colors/growth/health/etc.

:)

• Like 1
16 hours ago, GrumpyDaddy68 said:

Hi Scorched,

First of all... Amazing tanks!

I'm new in the hobby and I had already make up my mind to build a 24gal cube; however, I came across your tank and now I having seconds thoughts.

I would like to still go with a 24gal long (I believe having a few more gallons it would be easier for a beginner).

I have reading this thread for 3 days... and I have several questions for you.

Do you have any recommendations and things you would do different for a little larger tank?

Your stand looks awesome; do you have any details on dimensions?

I have looked and I have not seen any other tanks with such a nice/original plumbing idea. Congrats!!

And finally;

Do you have an updated material list from your 2.0 build?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks Grumpy

Welcome to the club / addiction.  This tank is pretty tricky for a first tank.  The 22 gallon long may be a bit better if you want 36" and extra water volume.

If doing a larger tank you will need dedicated flow, right now I can get all my flow by using a high powered pump and running a lot of water through the sump and display.  When the tank is larger you would most likely need to add an MP10, Gyre or other flow device.  Other than that I would probably repeat everything thing I've done.  I like having zero equipment in the display tank.  The sump is setup for easy maintanence and water changes.  I would still do dosing and run an apex.  In actuality most of my setup is meant for large displays and I just compacted and squished everything to work with a nano tank.

The stand was custom built based off my ver 1.0 television stand that I used for my first setup.  It has very similar height, width, and depth.  I just got rid of the interior shelf and notched better holes on both sides for my plumbing.

My first post talking about a new stand and plumbing

Finished Stand is here.

Finallizing the filtration design

I believe I've listed off the major things before.

• Walnut Stand - $700
  • Granite Top - $100
  • Mr Aqua Tank - $110
  • Plumbing Approximation (Pipe, Fittings, Elbows, Valves, Bulkheads, Screens) - $300
  • Sump - $400
  • Dosing and ATO Containers - $200
  • DCP-5000 Return Pump - $100  (Replaced with a COR-15) - $275
  • Neotherm Heater - $50
  • 2016 Apex - $800
  • DOS - $250
  • ATK - $200
  • Nanobox Quad - $800
  • A bunch of misc things I needed to buy to put everything together.
  • Like 1
On 2/9/2018 at 9:07 PM, holy carp said:

V2.0 has been going for a while and is presumably stabilized.  At this point, how do you like the nanobox on that tank?  Looks like a lot of light spillage (not surprisingly) but the coral colors looked pretty rich.  Now that you've been running under them for long enough that the corals have fully acclimated, let's have an update on the colors/growth/health/etc.

:)

Things have finally stabilized.  I think I only lost 1 coral since the walnut lid pictures.  The green acro on the top right.  Since then I've added 6-7 new things and they've all been great.

The light has been great.  I increased my midday brightness to have 100% blue and 80-90% cyan and mint.  This has boosted the colors of a few corals.  It bleached out my orange chalice in the middle but I wasn't really in love with that coral anyway.  Another thing I've done which seemed to help has actually been to stop doing water changes and feed the corals and fish even more.  The added nutrients has given the corals a healthier appearance.  I'm not recommending everyone do that, but it worked for me.

I'll try to get a new photo soon to show off a few of the new corals.

• Like 3
On 2/10/2018 at 2:25 PM, NYfishies said:

I could look at this sump all day long and cannot wait until my next build to follow in your footsteps!

Your tank is so inspiring!

Thank you!!

A clean well laid out sump really helps with the motivation to actually keep things clean, working well, and doing maintenance.