ReefCleaners.org

Hey there new to the site and found your build while searching for reviews and applications for your Hydra Aquatics Nano Vortex Flow Spinner or "spinner" return nozzles.

The tank is looking great by the way, Very clean build, I like :D

My question about the return "spinner" nozzles is first: do you like them?

Second: Im doing a 10 gallon all in one build right now that will have about 160GPH for a return with 0' head pressure so it is a full 160GPH. How do you feel they would perform? I know your running considerably more than that but i need a way to create more dispersed water flow from a loc-line.

Third: Does the nozzle attach directly to the end of a section of loc-line? I see you have it attached to a threaded male adapter so as to be able to go into your bulkhead but i want to pop it on the end of my loc-line return so I can point it more where i want it?

Hey there new to the site and found your build while searching for reviews and applications for your Hydra Aquatics Nano Vortex Flow Spinner or "spinner" return nozzles.

The tank is looking great by the way, Very clean build, I like :D

My question about the return "spinner" nozzles is first: do you like them?

Second: Im doing a 10 gallon all in one build right now that will have about 160GPH for a return with 0' head pressure so it is a full 160GPH. How do you feel they would perform? I know your running considerably more than that but i need a way to create more dispersed water flow from a loc-line.

Third: Does the nozzle attach directly to the end of a section of loc-line? I see you have it attached to a threaded male adapter so as to be able to go into your bulkhead but i want to pop it on the end of my loc-line return so I can point it more where i want it?

This is from a few posts up

I did run them for a few days while it was cycling. I left a fairly long post complaining about my water flow and how I thought it sucked. Saying that Xaquas, Oceanlife Overflows etc could push way more water than my setup even though the design is almost identical. The problem was the Mini Spinners. They require a lot of water pressure to get them to spin. So if there is only a slight amount they will still turn but the water exiting will be coming out at a crawl. I took both of them off and have had great water flow since. I would say you need to push 400+gph through one to have it create a nice swirling effect and still have good flow. Right now im at about 400-500gph total split between both returns. If I put a SCWD device to alternate my returns then the minis would function much better. A scwd would still be great on my tank to randomize the flow but I was leery of all the negative reviews, especially on the 3/4" version.

Basically I was running 250gph through a single spinner at a time (500 split one and the left, one on the right) and the spinners spun very slowly and actually restricted a lot of the flow. So if you are using a 160gph pump to drive a single spinner I think you'll be disappointed.

Also the screw in attachment is part of the unit. The spinner has a loc-line LIKE fitting but it is not the same. I had a small piece of loc-line I was going to use as a backup in case the spinners didn't work and when fooling around with both of them they do not attach together, they are slightly different sizes. I ended up using nothing, It is just flowing straight through a 1/2" bulkhead into my tank. With water coming in from both direction I get a lot of swirling water, its consistently the same motion but it does keep debris a float to be removed and provides movement for the corals and fish. It also look a lot more aesthetically pleasing to me having the lease amount of gear or equipment inside the display.

I really need to get some updates posted. :D

I just today found Montipora Eating Nudibranches on an awesome piece of montipora spongodes I got about 2 months ago. I picked many of them off as well as any eggs I could find and I start the chemical battle with it tomorrow.

steviejitsu

Wow how do you like that light fixture? Did you buy it direct? Would you recommend it over other fixtures that price?

Wow how do you like that light fixture? Did you buy it direct? Would you recommend it over other fixtures that price?

I did not buy it directly from China however I was thinking about it at one point, but I found an American reseller that had them on ebay and was even willing to customize the ratio of white/blue lights. I ended up going with the standard 50/50 and wish I went with 60/40 or 75/25 blue/white as the blue isnt very strong when both of them are on. When its just blue though it looks very cool and the colors really stand out.

For the price I thought it was a great buy as it was exactly the size and shape I wanted. There are tube fixtures that would work in my 36" size requirement but I really wanted to try LEDs. The only thing that would make this fixture better would be the ability to dim and make the ration exactly the way you want it to be.

I think I paid 250 for the light and 15-20 for a wire suspension kit. I might have talked more about this a few pages back when I was hanging the light up. If your interested id read that and if you have questions just let me know.

No update? -_-

I will I will. I cant show pictures til I take my camera to work and then get home to upload them. The latest news is not good. I picked up a really sweet montipora spongodes at a frag swap that was easily 2-3x less than I've found elsewhere. It has lots of upshoots and great coloration. Last week before the 4th of July holiday I noticed the bottom of the color was turning white and thought oh great there goes a nice coral due to some unknown reason. I get back to work today and see the dead area has spread. Upon closer inspection while a co-worker was sitting next to me we noticed what we thought was a cool new invert walking along the front of the glass. A google search later I find its a montipora eating nudibranch!! I take the coral out and placed it in a small container of water next to the tank so it still is getting light. I picked off as many as I could find of the little buggers and brushed off the eggs as well. A few hours pass and a few more are still crawling on the bottom. Tonight I picked up some CoralRX so I can do some dips as well as dip the other possibly infected corals. It really is a shame too because my pink/red monti cap which used to be fairly dull is now bright red and encrusting into the rock. I didnt see any but will probably have to yank it out for a dip as well.

I will post new pictures soon. No new equipment or fish have been added but I am seriously considering an autotop off instead of manually adding water every morning. But it does get me fiddling with the tank every morning and motivates me to clean the glass and check to make sure everything is healthy so maybe full autopilot isnt always a good thing.

My latest thoughts in the last week have been to get another fish but what or even if I should is still to be decided. I probably wont be getting any serious corals either til this infestation is eradicate!

• Like 2
Deleted User 4

Ahhh I see. Damn, sorry for your monti loss. Hopefully the pink/red one pulls through....if I recall, you don't have that many monti's in the tank right? Hope so. Anyways I can wait on the updates. Patience is what it takes to be golden. :lol:

sorry to hear about your nudis. lesson learned... dip EVERYTHING!

Yep I've already stocked up on CoralRx, but I probably wont be getting anything new for awhile as this left a bad taste in my mouth.

Congrats on the TOTM MedRed! I really loved your tank months ago when I was setting up mine and knew you had to win it at some point.

I will finish reading this for any information I can get. I am over it with my EDGE II. I will be cutting the top off of it if I decide to keep it but I am for sure doing either this or the 17 version.

• 3 weeks later...

I use CoralRx on everything i put into my tank.

Members of a local club also insist on fluke tabs, FWE and other dips in addition.

I have not gone to those lengths yet though.

It is my hope that CoralRx is getting everything off.

July Iphone Pics

I've been super busy at work with projects. Tank hasn't been neglected I just dont have enough time to get my DSLR to work and shoot a bunch of nicer photos.

Inside you should see the latest fish to join the tank. A Radiant Wrasse, both cause its a sweet looking fish and because it helps in eating montipora eating nudis!!

I had to pull all of my montis out and had them in a separate small container for 2 weeks. I dipped them every few days and changed the water as often as possible. Almost every morning I would find 1-2 more of the buggers and pull them off with tweezers. Eventually my pink monticap was getting more damage from the repeated dips and being in a separate container of water so I decided to thoroughly inspect every piece of coral 2-3 more times, brush off anything that resembled anything strange and put them back in the tank. I lost the entire bottom of my monti spongodes so I ended up breaking off all of the good branches and attaching them to the large rock on the right. It used to be a really cool baseball size colony. Hopefully one day it will encrust over the rock and become better than what it was. The pink monti lost a lot of its tissue from the ordeal and you can see the white skeleton showing. The remaining rim has held strong and is recovering.

ftsjuly.jpg

ftsjulyangle1.jpg

ftsjulyangle2.jpg

i dig the midas. how is the wrasse doing in that small tank?

The midas is my coolest fish. I didn't really like him at first because he hid all the time and was a terrible greyish brown color. He has since turned bright yellow and swims around all the time. He still goes into his favorite hole once and awhile but you can definitely see his personality.

The wrasse has been great, the first fairy wrasse I had jumped out. Most likely do to the Midas being kind of a bully. The Radiant took a little abuse adjusting to the tank but now the blenny is more tolerant of him and everyone seems to be getting along.

Still one of my fav tanks on this site.

DO you have a screen top you removed for the photos?

There is no screen.