Top Shelf Aquatics

I'm getting ready to order bulkheads and strainers like yours. First will those strainers fit any 1" bulkhead or do I need to order a specific bulkhead? Do they make them in 1.5"? I thought that should up the flow numbers some but I'm only seeing them in 1". Thanks for the help.

Nice dude, I can't wait. Is there some pretty sweet LFS in Minneapolis ? I left before I got into reefing and have never got the chance to explore the scene when I visit.

There are about 2-3 GOOD saltwater only LFS in the Twin Cities area. In total there are about 10 fresh/salt shops but their selection and quality is a little lacking

I'm getting ready to order bulkheads and strainers like yours. First will those strainers fit any 1" bulkhead or do I need to order a specific bulkhead? Do they make them in 1.5"? I thought that should up the flow numbers some but I'm only seeing them in 1". Thanks for the help.

I only saw them in 1" as well. They fit on the standard ABS bulkheads with the rounded flange. BRS 1" Bulkhead The inside of the strainer has the inside rounded out so it cups the flange snugly. If the bulkhead does not have this smooth face and edges the strainer would fall off and would need to be glued or held on by other means.

Ya having two 1.5" bulkheads would really increase the draining speed of the system. One 1.5" bulkhead might even be equal to my two 1"ers, but without the strainers it would be hard to create.

I've learned to live with the flow I have. It could be increased a little more for my SPS corals but Im around 500gph which is over 40X turnover per hour and that is already really high for pushing through a small sump.

The flow could even be increased in a way by adding a SCWD that would alternate the returns. So it would force all the water through each one at time. I've done this a few times by just holding my thumb over the 1/2" returns and it causes extra debris to be kicked up and I can see all the tiny polyps blow around a little more. I've thought about adding the 3/4" one myself but have heard negative things on how long they last.

How far below the top rim is your water level?

I'd say about 1"-1.5". I'd get out a ruler and give the exact amount but I wont be back to work til Monday to do it. It could be set higher but this feels right for safety plus it also allows water to be pulled from the surface into the bulkhead hole. If it was higher than the hole almost no skimming would take place.

Edited by Scorched_Ice7

SKIMMER HELP

I posted this in the equipment forum but if some of the people following this build have some other ideas I'd love to hear them. This is in regards to choosing a skimmer that fits into my sump/stand.

Im looking for a skimmer for my sump. Right now I've been doing water changes and running carbon, and GFO but I would like to physically pull more crap out of the water.

My problem is in its height constriction. I really like the stand I am using, however in hindsight getting all of my equipment into the sump inside is rather difficult. So right now my cabinet space I have to work with is 15" tall. and my sump is a standard 10 gallon so that is roughly 12" high. I know there are a few skimmers that are around a foot tall but I would not be able to pull the cup out when there is only 2.5" of useable clearance to removed it. Does anyone have any ideas on what would work. Are there any small external skimmers that would work if only the pump was inside the sump? Or a good in sump skimmer that just used a drain that I could go to a collection container next to the sump (Similar to the mame or plastic DIY skimmers)

plumbingsetup.jpg

The only picture I could find that I took of the stand. The current running water level is around 7-8" The picture shows it much lower as I was just getting the tank filled, but this shows you how its laid out.

skimmerhelp.jpg

Here are a few of the skimmers I've been looking at but need help choosing what would work best. And if you have some of the skimmers I've thought about can you tell me exact dimensions on the total skimmer height and then the size of the collection cup (which is often left off of product description pages)

Tunze 9002

13.3" tall

7-8.5" water depth

Cup Size ??

Aqualife Mini Skimmer 115

10.5" tall

Operating depth ??

Cup size ??

Hydor Slim Skim Nano

12" tall

Operating depth ?? (Looks like it is very close to the top, so at 10-11" my sump would have to be completely filled and would leave no room for holding excess water if the return pump failed)

Cup size ??

AquaEuroUSA Nano Protein Skimmer 2

9" tall

Operating depth ??

Cup Size ??

Its also $40, anyone use it and can report on its efficiency or quality?

Any other in-sump skimmer ideas?

The other option is doing a skimmer with a drain to an external container sitting outside the sump. Are there any quality options that would work with my water height and size restrictions? The Mame and Gnome glass options come to mind as well as the self made plastic "coke bottle" versions but I would like a quality product that will pull gunk out of my tank.

I would go with the Tunze 9002 (which is what I'm running in my Elos mini) or the Hydor slim skim nano. I have been hearing really good things about the Slim Skim Nano and it is suppose to be every quite. I was thinking of getting one myself since my Tunze can make some noise from time to time. You could take that shelf out and cut a square out of it just above the sump for a simmer cup.

Edited by Grimmpls
I would go with the Tunze 9002 (which is what I'm running in my Elos mini) or the Hydor slim skim nano. I have been hearing really good things about the Slim Skim Nano and it is suppose to be every quite. I was thinking of getting one myself since my Tunze can make some noise from time to time. You could take that shelf out and cut a square out of it just above the sump for a simmer cup.

There is a local guy in my reef club that is going to let me borrow his Tunze 9002. He works downtown Mpls as well so it works out nicely. I'll see if I can get the cup in and out of the sump.

I've thought about cutting a big hole in the shelf, the only thing is I have to disassemble everything in order to do so. The backing on the stand is screwed into this middle shelf, and the only way I can drill or use a jigsaw on the shelf is by removing the top.

I would suggest aquac nano hang on back I have that in my sump ATM no issue with low water level

How high above the rim does the aqua hang on sit?

Edited by Scorched_Ice7
There is a local guy in my reef club that is going to let me borrow his Tunze 9002. He works downtown Mpls as well so it works out nicely. I'll see if I can get the cup in and out of the sump.

I've thought about cutting a big hole in the shelf, the only thing is I have to disassemble everything in order to do so. The backing on the stand is screwed into this middle shelf, and the only way I can drill or use a jigsaw on the shelf is by removing the top.

How high above the rim does the aqua hang on sit?

ar nvm. it sits up to 8 inches you dont have the clearance for that. i think the 9002 is the only option for u. or would it even fit :unsure: my take will be jack up that shelve divider it will open a lot more option for you.:happydance:

and how is ur overflow doing? is it loud when the water guzzle down?

Edited by viplok

Thanks for checking viplok.

The shelf really isnt moveable. It is mounted to both sides and is screwed in from the back. Also moving it higher would cause a large gap at the top of the doors.

A hole cut into the center of the shelf would allow for more options though.

edit-

The overflow itself I am in love with. The drains are very quiet and it still moves a fair amount of water. Not as much as a full siphon but those designs can be a little risky unless there are multiple backups.

The only noise from the system is my 1260 pump. It has a pad underneath it and all the tubing is vinyl. So there probably isnt any more options to get a quieter system.

Edited by Scorched_Ice7

As it looks like now, you aren't really using the shelf other than when the doors are closed so an option would be to remove the shelf and move the two upper hinges higher and replace the doors. It could be done fairly cheap if you DIY but then you'd have the issue of the doors not exactly matching the stand color wise. I've got some shelves close to your stand color with black wall mounts that look good, just a thought.

Your tank looks great by the way and if you ever frag up that Kelly Green coral please let me know. Supposably ORA lost its mother colony is looking for frags from people who have colonies.

As it looks like now, you aren't really using the shelf other than when the doors are closed so an option would be to remove the shelf and move the two upper hinges higher and replace the doors. It could be done fairly cheap if you DIY but then you'd have the issue of the doors not exactly matching the stand color wise. I've got some shelves close to your stand color with black wall mounts that look good, just a thought.

Your tank looks great by the way and if you ever frag up that Kelly Green coral please let me know. Supposably ORA lost its mother colony is looking for frags from people who have colonies.

Thanks Guillz

I actually kept the height adjustable shelf that goes behind the glass doors. So if I removed the shelf I could use the wood from that shelf and the removable one to make new doors that would match the wood. Still requires me to take everything apart so well see if it comes to that.

That green frag/small colony is really sweet. I don't think I'll be fragging it soon but once it gets close to the water surface I'll try to remember you to see if you're still interested. Do you know what happened at ORA, I heard they lost a few other colonies as well but dont know what caused it.

Edited by Scorched_Ice7

Good call on saving it! There's been a lot of good option posted, so hopefully one works out. No i don't know exactly what happened at ORA just know they lost some stuff. Guess it shows that it can happen to anybody.

I would just cut part of the shelf to remove you cup for a taller skimmer. Opens up many more choices. The. you dot have to mess wih he doors hinges etc.

What kinda pad are you running under your 1260. I need to do the same

and was worried a filter pad would retain nitrates and worried that if I used he same yoga mat that my tank rests on I might be introducing silicates/phosphates into the water

I would just cover the sump with something and cut it as is. then shop vac all the saw dust and your good to go.

For some reason that idea sounds easier said then done :lol: If i was in town I would try to help you out.

I would just cut part of the shelf to remove you cup for a taller skimmer. Opens up many more choices. The. you dot have to mess wih he doors hinges etc.

What kinda pad are you running under your 1260. I need to do the same

and was worried a filter pad would retain nitrates and worried that if I used he same yoga mat that my tank rests on I might be introducing silicates/phosphates into the water

I used a section of the yoga pad I put underneath the tank. I wish it was a little thicker but it dampened the sound more than without it.

I doubt it would leech any phosphate, maybe some chemical in the plastic foam but I haven't notice any adverse effects yet.

I would just cover the sump with something and cut it as is. then shop vac all the saw dust and your good to go.

For some reason that idea sounds easier said then done :lol: If i was in town I would try to help you out.

When I used a hole saw to run my tubes through the shelf I had to have the top of the stand off to do it. Im sure if I wanted to use a jigsaw I would have to do the same.

Off topic but have you heard anything new about the LSS Mini's?

I did run them for a few days while it was cycling. I left a fairly long post complaining about my water flow and how I thought it sucked. Saying that Xaquas, Oceanlife Overflows etc could push way more water than my setup even though the design is almost identical. The problem was the Mini Spinners. They require a lot of water pressure to get them to spin. So if there is only a slight amount they will still turn but the water exiting will be coming out at a crawl. I took both of them off and have had great water flow since. I would say you need to push 400+gph through one to have it create a nice swirling effect and still have good flow. Right now im at about 400-500gph total split between both returns. If I put a SCWD device to alternate my returns then the minis would function much better. A scwd would still be great on my tank to randomize the flow but I was leary of all the negative reviews, especially on the 3/4" version.

• 3 weeks later...

New things!!

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a new fish. A Midas Blenny. After a bunch of research and browsing of pictures I knew I had to have this fish. I get him acclimated and transfer him over to the nano and he was disappointing. He was brown and grey, he always hid behind rock or inside them and never came out.

But.... now 3 weeks later he comes out all the time and is BRIGHT yellow, and having him dart in and out of his preferred 2-3 holes is rather cool. He really is the interesting fish I was looking to have. It just took him a long time to adjust to the tank and become comfortable. I have before and after pictures but I left my camera at work so they will have to wait til tomorrow.

Also today I received an ebay auction for 15 sps corals. A few of the corals are kind of bland in either shape or color, but most corals that I've been looking to stock my tank with look really sharp.

As for my original corals I've lost 2 of them. The pink birdsnest and the blue rimmed green monti. The remainder have been awesome. For a few weeks many of the corals started to turn brown but still had great polyp extension. I slowly lowered the LED lights more and more each day as well as increased my Alk from 6-9 over a 2 week period. Now the corals are regaining that awesome color I was looking for.

Edited by Scorched_Ice7

Thanks everyone!

Your scape is fantastic and the videos with your Midas blenny are very cool. He seems like he has a lot of personality

He was a little disappointing in the beginning as he ALWAYS was hiding and was very drab in coloration. Now hes out swimming around and dives in and out of his holes just enough to be entertaining. His color also greatly improved.

My scape has been flipped from my signature as it gave me a little bit better placement for the large birds of paradise colony as well as three good holes for the blenny on the large overhang rock. But overall it is still very similar.

• 2 weeks later...