SaltCritters.com

Nice updates man!! How's the pink little bta doing for you??

The little pink guy is doing good, still about the size of a pencil eraser but is still cool. I picked up a more normal size yet still small rbta about a month ago. Its a little bit bigger than a golf ball and is currently the centerpiece of my tank. I worked really hard getting him to plant his foot into a deep hole in the center of my main rock. So far it hasn't moved for almost a month.

So today I went to work (on my day off) to put the finishing touches on my new screen top, as well as feed my fish and just keep it clean during my long holiday break.

3HY0k.jpg

And I saw something I had never seen before. Mini Brittle Stars started crawling out of the rocks and started to stick their bodies into the air. Then for about 3-4 seconds they released a slime into the water. I figure they were spawning. It was kinda cool to see. I had my camera with me but it was done before I even knew what was happening. Here is was it looked like though thanks to a google search

g6WaL.png

I have had a red starfish in my tank since Halloween and today he went missing. I didn't see my tank Monday and Tues due to the holidays (I went in on the weekend though so the fish didnt suffer over the long break) and today he went missing. I've seen him crawl into fairly small holes in my rock but I can usually see a part of the red legs. Today nothing... ????

I think I paid $40 for it. I bought it at a local frag swap / saltwater expo. They have vendors and hobbyists selling colonies and frags from all over the midwest come to Minneapolis twice a year. He had about 3-4 of them and this was the smallest one, I'm sure his larger ones were in the 50-75 range. I picked up 2 acans and a brain for my tank at the swap as well. I wish I had deeper pockets so I could get more, but its probably for the best.

I think I paid $40 for it. I bought it at a local frag swap / saltwater expo. They have vendors and hobbyists selling colonies and frags from all over the midwest come to Minneapolis twice a year. He had about 3-4 of them and this was the smallest one, I'm sure his larger ones were in the 50-75 range. I picked up 2 acans and a brain for my tank at the swap as well. I wish I had deeper pockets so I could get more, but its probably for the best.
Come on you have deep pockets....

Come on you have deep pockets....

Ya thats what credit cards are for.... :bling:

Here is a video from the fall saltwater expo in Minneapolis, next one is in the spring. I need to start saving for that.

Ok the starfish was a false alarm. I found an arm inside the rock this afternoon. He really crawled in there. Its worrying having such a small tank and not being able to find something. There are only so many places for things to hide.

Can we get a pic of the top on the tank? Also, what material did you use for the screen? I know we spoke a bit in PM, but I havent decided on the screen material yet! Thanks again. Love the tank.

Can we get a pic of the top on the tank? Also, what material did you use for the screen? I know we spoke a bit in PM, but I havent decided on the screen material yet! Thanks again. Love the tank.

I wont be back at work til tomorrow night to feed the tank so I can take a picture then. I think I bought this kit http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100391974/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=window+screen+kit&storeId=10051#.UNzB9ba32cI

All that is left is the frame and corners which you can get in white or brown. I did brown as it was easier to paint black.

I wont be back at work til tomorrow night to feed the tank so I can take a picture then. I think I bought this kit http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100391974/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=window+screen+kit&storeId=10051#.UNzB9ba32cI

All that is left is the frame and corners which you can get in white or brown. I did brown as it was easier to paint black.

Thanks!

Thanks!

The other option is to get this kit (which comes with everything EXCEPT the screen) http://www.homedepot.com/buy/5-16-in-x-48-in-x-48-in-white-aluminum-screen-frame-kit-3021672.html#.UNzA1ra32cJ And buy the screen at a greenhouse type place, which should have the 1/4" bird netting that BRS sells. Or just buy the BRS stuff if you dont mind the higher price and shipping :D

Nice tank! I like how you plumbed it.

Thanks, I wanted something unique, while keeping it sleek and modern. The key part for me was to have almost nothing in the tank and the have the good flow for a strange tank shape.

Love this ! What did you end up using as a skimmer?

Thanks! LOL I'm surprised you remembered that. I actually didn't settle on anything and just do a little more with my water changes religously every wednesday. Nothing could fit in my tight space and I didn't want to remove my shelf or use a skimmer that wouldnt let me pull the cup out. The only skimmer that could work would be something like the gnome, glazer, or mame skimmers which use a glass tube and an airstone with an external collection cup.

Or I just change stands in a few months. Our company bought a building across the street from where we are now and that would be the time to find a better stand that would allow a bigger/taller skimmer to fit in my sump.

Thanks! LOL I'm surprised you remembered that. I actually didn't settle on anything and just do a little more with my water changes religously every wednesday. Nothing could fit in my tight space and I didn't want to remove my shelf or use a skimmer that wouldnt let me pull the cup out. The only skimmer that could work would be something like the gnome, glazer, or mame skimmers which use a glass tube and an airstone with an external collection cup.

Or I just change stands in a few months. Our company bought a building across the street from where we are now and that would be the time to find a better stand that would allow a bigger/taller skimmer to fit in my sump.

I see! Either way, great little set up you have here, I'm tagging along. :)