Top Shelf Aquatics

Dude your so cool....

Seriously awesome job as usual.

Fully assembled.

YdROSjs.gif

Today I also worked on an electronics board. Then I realized its right below the unions and probably the worst place to have a power strip..... So options include making a small "roof" on top of the board to shield against any possible drips. Or mount everything to the back wall and show all the cords. I can get some tiny raceways or cable ties but its not quite the same.

If I decide to go with this placement the final board will either be painted black or recreated using walnut to match the stand.

rs7dO65h.jpg

• Like 4

Dude your so cool....

Seriously awesome job as usual.

Thanks Hype!

So cool in fish terms means I'm probably the nerdiest. :D At least thats what my wife told me today after I got all giddy and showed her the plumbing finally put together.

• Like 2

Damn! Sump and plumbing look way too good to be polluted with salt creep, algae and water stains. I love the clean pristine look, but if I had a one like that I imagine it would drive me crazy seeing it get all dirty... :lol:

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

You're gonna LOVE that Georg Fisher Wye check valve! Glad you decided to incorporate it, you won't be sorry! Everything looks awesome!

• Like 1

Maybe a roof over the electronics where the side against the back of the tank can 'dip' into a raceway that ends in the sump? And drips will avoid the electronics, but also avoid the inside/outside of the stand..

Damn! Sump and plumbing look way too good to be polluted with salt creep, algae and water stains. I love the clean pristine look, but if I had a one like that I imagine it would drive me crazy seeing it get all dirty... :lol:

It is one thing I'm going to hate is getting it all dirty. I thought about getting 2 more white covers to go in the 2 open holes in the sump. Keep all the water evaporation in the sump. Luckily this design is easier to access than my current tank so cleaning and maintenance should be easier if anything ever gets dirty.

You're gonna LOVE that Georg Fisher Wye check valve! Glad you decided to incorporate it, you won't be sorry! Everything looks awesome!

I hope so. It took up a lot real estate in my plumbing. My returns are drilled slightly higher than my previous tank so I would have lost even less water, but if this stops another gallon or two from backsiphoning it will make feedings and water changes easier for sure.

Maybe a roof over the electronics where the side against the back of the tank can 'dip' into a raceway that ends in the sump? And drips will avoid the electronics, but also avoid the inside/outside of the stand..

I doubt i'd make a little water slide for any water. It should never leak, but if it does I don't want it going straight down into the electrical. I didn't think about the outside of the stand though. If the "roof" was sloped out through that side hole it would be sufficient to satisfy me.

Dude please come to my home and build me a simple manifold ? I pay in corals

TBH I don't even use a reactor but this all looks sweet ?

LOL you dont need a stinkin' manifold :P

Looks amazing...what are the mini RODI looking jugs in the center?

Also, what are your plans for backup in case you lose power?

They are RODI canisters that are being used for biopellets and carbon / gfo. Same things used for the BRS reactors. I just sourced some "mini" versions so there is less wasted space. I currently use the dual BRS reactor and its big.

Right now no power loss plans. The GF Check Valve will stop a bunch of water from draining if I lose power. My work as has onsite battery power that is used for our servers and computer systems to prevent data loss. I can tie into that system but their battery power only lasts for I believe a few minutes as its mainly to allow people to save what they are working on before everything shuts down.

The new Apex has heartbeat which alerts me if there is a loss of power or wifi. This can let me know during the nights or weekends if something needs to be done. In the 5 years that my current tank has been running only 1 time can I remember the power going out for a few hours.

Looking good! Love the colour matching. :)

Thanks 4x5!

Marc.The.Shark

I hope so. It took up a lot real estate in my plumbing. My returns are drilled slightly higher than my previous tank so I would have lost even less water, but if this stops another gallon or two from backsiphoning it will make feedings and water changes easier for sure.

I'm 6 months into this tank and it's working like the day I installed it. I went thru a month and a half or so of the white slime outbreak where everything was coated in a clear goo as well & it didn't skip a beat. Had to clean the insides of my skimmer & reactor & it was nasty, but the check valve worked flawlessly. I figured it'd be a 6 month clean job, but now I'm gonna let it go for a year till I swap my SCWD for the backup & clean it then. I'm very impressed. And it really only saves me a couple gallons as well, but that's a lot in a shallow tank. That weighted stopper is heavy, you can hear it "clunk" closed. Nice design, never buy any other now that I've tried this.

• Like 1

Fully assembled.

YdROSjs.gif

Today I also worked on an electronics board. Then I realized its right below the unions and probably the worst place to have a power strip..... So options include making a small "roof" on top of the board to shield against any possible drips. Or mount everything to the back wall and show all the cords. I can get some tiny raceways or cable ties but its not quite the same.

If I decide to go with this placement the final board will either be painted black or recreated using walnut to match the stand.

rs7dO65h.jpg

Crazy slick!

• Like 2
Michael_Price

Waiting for this project to end is like waiting for the next season of a Awesome TV Show like Game Of Thrones. I don't want it to end... But I want to see the final Product Now!!!

• Like 1

I've never been so excited to see under a tank!

Yep I love looking at the inside now. My current running tank is an eyesore and royal pain to do maintenance on.

Nice work so far.

Stain the board

Thank you!

Im pretty sure Im going with the board rather than mounting them on the back wall. I will do walnut and stain it to match the stand. This was just a cheap Pine board to test with.

Wow, just wow.

Glad to impress.

Waiting for this project to end is like waiting for the next season of a Awesome TV Show like Game Of Thrones. I don't want it to end... But I want to see the final Product Now!!!

It will come together, were on the final season :P

Well, if this is the final season, I'm waiting for the spin-off.

Based on what I saw with your other tank, I'm looking forward to how this gets stocked.

It really is a 2.0 build. Everything is being transferred over and the old stand/tank is being removed. Purely an upgrade on the equipment and maintenance side. I'm sorry if people were hoping it was going to be something grander than that.

I have some testing to do with the plumbing to make sure nothing leaks and its as quiet as possible. After the transfer is made the season is over and its back to reruns :P

• Like 2

I'm glad to see you decided to go with walnut for the electronics board. Anything less would be cutting corners and this is a truly top notch build.

I really like the design of the zero edge sump. Did you ever figure out the answer to your question about detritus buildup with the separate sock section?

• Like 1

I have a random question:

What does your angel's poo look like? For years mine has had pale stringy poo but has never lost weight or had problems eating. Seems to be normal for it. Prazi didn't change anything either.

I have a random question:

What does your angel's poo look like? For years mine has had pale stringy poo but has never lost weight or had problems eating. Seems to be normal for it. Prazi didn't change anything either.

I honestly don't know if I've watched it poop. I've never seen a stringy substance floating around the tank though.

I'm glad to see you decided to go with walnut for the electronics board. Anything less would be cutting corners and this is a truly top notch build.

I really like the design of the zero edge sump. Did you ever figure out the answer to your question about detritus buildup with the separate sock section?

Using the long down spouts there is enough pressure and turbulence down there that almost everything is going to be forced up into the filter sock. There isn't any floating debris or gunk in the tank to be absolutely certain until its fully running.

I've completed a water test and I'm happy to report not a single leak!!

Based on my initial test this setup is quite a bit louder than my current tank. I'm pushing 3X the flow and while the drains can keep up they allow too much air and turbulent water into the pipes. I can run the pump at or slower than my Eheim and its still louder, which is really unfortunate.

I've picked up a few more plumbing fittings and unions and I'm going to turn the setup into a hybrid herbie, reverse durso. While testing I was able to crank the pump to 100% and close off the manifold. This meant all the water was going into the display at 1500 gph minus head pressure. Both drains could handle the flow but it was extremely noisy. As soon as I let one bulkhead go full siphon the entire stand/tank went completely silent. But at full siphon it was draining way faster than 1500 gph so I'm going to put a valve on that drain to control its speed and let the second drain do just a tiny amount. If the first drain would become clogged the second drain being unvalved would be able to go full siphon and pick up the slack. Since it can go faster than the pump can push water into the display it will cause a terrible flushing sound and let me know that something is wrong and needs to be fixed with original siphon drain side.

• Like 2

Wow, 1500 GPH sounds like a lot of flow for this tank. My Varios-2 return pump only pushes 800 gph minus head at max output, but I run it at 50% most of the day. I cycle up to 100% to flush in the evening, but I don't run at 100% sustained very often.

In my setup I also have 2 drains - one is full siphon (top bulkhead in image) with a valve on a 1/2" line. The valve is mostly open, but being just slightly tightened helps it to recreate full siphon more quickly than when it's fully open. The other drain is a 1" line with an elbow to surface skim (center bulkhead). This can accommodate a huge variation in water volume without having the tanks water level change much. However, it is only dead silent at certain pump speeds, and at others may make a little bit of noise. Interestingly, the noise level is not a linear function of pump speed. For instance, at 30%, not a sound, at 35% slight draining noise, at 50-55%, dead silent again, at 60% a little noise, at 80% pretty silent, and at 100%, it makes noise again. I have a feeling those may be a function of the eggcrate screen I attached to it, but now I digress.

plumbing.jpg

Good luck... Silence is golden!

• Like 2