ReefCleaners.org

tunze 9002 skimmer... again

Fluffeh

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if the skimmer would just work i'd be happy, the thing is, it stops working on and off by itself (meaning the pump is still going, but there's NO Foam)... no idea why.. my water level is consistent with my ATO and i dont touch anything.

Alot of people think the Tunze works great until they get a nice needle wheel skimmer and see chunky sludge in the cup.

I hear you. I'm picking up an I-tech 100 skimmer this weekend.

if the skimmer would just work i'd be happy, the thing is, it stops working on and off by itself (meaning the pump is still going, but there's NO Foam)... no idea why.. my water level is consistent with my ATO and i dont touch anything.

I'm betting you have a defective Venturi nozzle.

I'm betting you have a defective Venturi nozzle.

actually i've replaced about every part of the unit lol. i forgot to mention this.

when it first did this i was sent a replacement pump, still didn't work. then we replaced the lid/air valve. still didn't do it. then we replaced the nozzle, and im still at the same point i started.

thats why im saying this skimmer is a PITA

convict2161
I hear you. I'm picking up an I-tech 100 skimmer this weekend.

Unaware, please educate me... Better then the Tunze in what ways? I'm a sucker for upgrades and bigger better gadgets.

actually i've replaced about every part of the unit lol. i forgot to mention this.

when it first did this i was sent a replacement pump, still didn't work. then we replaced the lid/air valve. still didn't do it. then we replaced the nozzle, and im still at the same point i started.

thats why im saying this skimmer is a PITA

I like to say POS not PITA

Unaware, please educate me... Better then the Tunze in what ways? I'm a sucker for upgrades and bigger better gadgets.

It's not a nano skimmer. It's 22" tall. I'm getting it for my 40b build. A guy in Florida was making them but stopped production. They are supposed to be really good and hard to find. I found one on craigslist. It's rated for 100-150g tanks.

convict2161
It's not a nano skimmer. It's 22" tall. I'm getting it for my 40b build. A guy in Florida was making them but stopped production. They are supposed to be really good and hard to find. I found one on craigslist. It's rated for 100-150g tanks.

Ahhh.... Ok, thanks. I'll stick with my Tunze lol. I see there up there in price too!

Ahhh.... Ok, thanks. I'll stick with my Tunze lol. I see there up there in price too!

Intank carries the Aquaticlife 115 which is an impeller design that fits in the Biocube. I have a Tunze and no experience of the 115 but it might be worth looking in to further.

sorry to hack your thread but didnt feel like starting another thread about the tunze 9002...

People keep on saying that it is virtually soundless and the other sound you get is a small hisssssing sound.

I dont know if i am too sensitive to sound and that the tank is in my bedroom but my skimmer is not silent nor does it make a small hissing sound. The sound it makes is more of a loud bubbly sound.

Is this normal? Am i being over sensitive??

I have to say even with all the bad reviews I'm loving the oceanic biocube skimmer.....1/4 cup of very dark skimmate per day without the hefty price tag.....

sorry to hack your thread but didnt feel like starting another thread about the tunze 9002...

People keep on saying that it is virtually soundless and the other sound you get is a small hisssssing sound.

I dont know if i am too sensitive to sound and that the tank is in my bedroom but my skimmer is not silent nor does it make a small hissing sound. The sound it makes is more of a loud bubbly sound.

i can't really hear the bubbling, but i can hear the maxi jet 1200 rattling around back there. my house is noisy so i guess i don't really hear it. i could really hear the hissing from the old valve though.

I have to say even with all the bad reviews I'm loving the oceanic biocube skimmer.....1/4 cup of very dark skimmate per day without the hefty price tag.....

:huh:

convict2161

IMO the Oceanic skimmer is a POS!! And x100000 on the MJ100 and the noise. You know what helped me was I took it off the suction cups and put a sponge in there. Now I just hear the calming trickle of the water going into the inTank media basket. I also have my skimmer more on the dry side(if that makes sense) otherwise I get a ton of just saltwater instead of gunk.

You could always contact inTank and they would be more then happy to help you. They have always answered all my emails and helped me out ALOT!!

Kudos to inTank!!!

convict2161
reading this thread makes me want to return the 9002 that I received few days ago.

Don't give up on it just yet. I do reccomend the airline hose mod though. It really makes it a lot easier to dial in, you don't have to take off the upgraded cup (in my case) and reach in and adjust the knob. It just makes it a lot easier for everyone. I have one and I never said I wasn't happy with it. Give it time to break in, do the mod and take it from there. If you have any questions or concerns there's always inTank that can help or advise on what to do, that's what I did.

IMHO it's really not a bad skimmer. I feel it serves it's purpose for my BC 29.

I don't think it's silent at all. It's much silent than my Remora but it's far from being silent.

Mine with a custom cup (2dB less), at 1feet away, produces a noise level of 51dB-weighted A. In a silent bedroom at night the noise level should be 30 dB according to a googled chart.

...and on the weighted-C scale, the 9002 is even louder.

65149322.jpg

This is what I get after about a day. Just did a 5g water change two days ago. I have an clown pair and a small potters angel.

b171dc58.jpg

This is where I keep the bubbles set. Almost halfway up the tube. Where the dry bubbles barely overflow into the collection cup. I'm still trying to figure out the optimal level. If anyone has a better idea I would love to know.

convict2161
65149322.jpg

This is what I get after about a day. Just did a 5g water change two days ago. I have an clown pair and a small porters angel.

What do you have if you don't mind me asking? I have a BC 29 and I NEVER see that. Wondering if it's a good or bad thing. Every now and then I get green gunk but nothing like that.

I have a bc29 also. InTank media basket w filter floss chemi pure and purigen. I feed one frozen cube of mysis, rotifers, or cyclops a day and a pinch of dry red flakes. I have a 2.5" potters angel and a pair of onyx occellaris clowns for fish. Inverts: Reef cleaners clean up crew a large turbo snail, two small urchins some other snails. Just to get an idea of my bio load. I just did a 5g water change w seawater a couple days ago so my water is relatively new. I clean and scrub the collection cup every couple days. Not sure if it collects better clean or gunked up.

so i did the airline mod for this skimmer, and i have to say... it works WORSE than before. i really just want to break this thing and throw it away. now its not even making any foam at all.

so i did the airline mod for this skimmer, and i have to say... it works WORSE than before. i really just want to break this thing and throw it away. now its not even making any foam at all.

Smash it with a sledge hammer and post a video.

Archived