Need help from Canon DSLR geeks

digitalfreq

Which DSLR  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which Canon should I get?

• 60D
    • T3i

Hey All,

I'm deciding between a T3i ($624) and 60D($899) Body ONLY.

I know that these two have the exact same Digic 4 processor. so the image quality should be identical.

Now the differences. 60D has a better FPS and Autofocus, and feels better in the hands. Well I guess that depends on whos hands is holding it.

I have a super old Canon EOS IX APS film camera. I have two lenses with it.

A 24-85mm and 100-300mm both Ultra Sonic lenses.

Questions

1. Now my question. Is the 60D worth the extra 275 bucks?

2. If i go with the Body Only. Will these lenses be okay for away until I buy a Super all around lens.

I've been out of the Photography hobby for a long time. So any help is appreciated.

My dinosaur SLR-asaurus

4b8c50a4-5b5d-2928.jpg

Thanks!

i had the t1i and hated it.

button layout was horrible and it felt like something out of a crackerjack box.

you get what you pay for.

as long as the 60 will take ef and efs lenses you should be fine to use them on the body

providing the lenses in the pic are ef or efs

or you can get a 60D for the same price

go on ebay and just buy any broke canon digital cam for like $10

Overview - The Canon Loyalty Program provides the opportunity to trade in an existing Canon product for a refurbished Canon Digital SLR. There are Point and Shoot and Video options available, but this Thread will focus on the DSLR options. The program initially required the trade in product to be broken (easy to accomplish), but recently they have relaxed this restriction to simply being out of warranty. There have been reports of Film Cameras being accepted, but for now assume that you will need a broken (or out of warranty) Canon Digital camera (P&S or DSLR).

How do I contact Canon? The phone number for the CLP is 1 (866) 443-8002. Select option "2".

When are they open? They are open 7 days a week. Phone lines are answered from 8:00AM to Midnight Eastern.

Canon 60D - $639.99

Canon 60D with 18-135 IS Kit Lens - $831.36

i had the t1i and hated it.

button layout was horrible and it felt like something out of a crackerjack box.

you get what you pay for.

as long as the 60 will take ef and efs lenses you should be fine to use them on the body

providing the lenses in the pic are ef or efs

Yes, both the lenses are EF series. I used it on my uncles Canon Rebel Xsi and it was fine. So I should be good with the 60D.. Cool!

or you can get a 60D for the same price

go on ebay and just buy any broke canon digital cam for like $10

Overview - The Canon Loyalty Program provides the opportunity to trade in an existing Canon product for a refurbished Canon Digital SLR. There are Point and Shoot and Video options available, but this Thread will focus on the DSLR options. The program initially required the trade in product to be broken (easy to accomplish), but recently they have relaxed this restriction to simply being out of warranty. There have been reports of Film Cameras being accepted, but for now assume that you will need a broken (or out of warranty) Canon Digital camera (P&S or DSLR).

How do I contact Canon? The phone number for the CLP is 1 (866) 443-8002. Select option "2".

When are they open? They are open 7 days a week. Phone lines are answered from 8:00AM to Midnight Eastern.

Canon 60D - $639.99

Wow, this is definitely an option. Should be concerned about buying a refurbished DSLR? Does the broken camera have to be a Canon? Man I just dismantled an old digital camera that I could've used for this.

Yes, both the lenses are EF series. I used it on my uncles Canon Rebel Xsi and it was fine. So I should be good with the 60D.. Cool!

Wow, this is definitely an option. Should be concerned about buying a refurbished DSLR? Does the broken camera have to be a Canon? Man I just dismantled an old digital camera that I could've used for this.

i bought my 2 7D's through this program. and is my current camera

no it HAS to be a canon camera..you can find tons of an old ass broken canon powershot for like 10bucks on ebay...thats what i did

there are only 2 body lines that DO NOT take the EF's lenses..the 5D line and the 1D line

the rebel's, XXD, 7D all accept EF-s lenses as they are 1.6x crop cameras..

YES YES the 10D back in the day was a 1.6 and only accepted EF lenses but that camera is over 10years old any no one is buying one.

i bought my 2 7D's through this program. and is my current camera

no it HAS to be a canon camera..you can find tons of an old ass broken canon powershot for like 10bucks on ebay...thats what i did

there are only 2 body lines that DO NOT take the EF's lenses..the 5D line and the 1D line

the rebel's, XXD, 7D all accept EF-s lenses as they are 1.6x crop cameras..

YES YES the 10D back in the day was a 1.6 and only accepted EF lenses but that camera is over 10years old any no one is buying one.

So I just called Canon and I may go with the program after all. Unfortunately the warranty is only 90days. Do you think that should be a concern?

Also. They have the 7D for $1087.00..

Now I need to research 60D vs 7D

If you dont have any problems with the camera in the first week..I really dont think you will have an issue..I have ALWAYS bought used bodies so that was ZERO warranty..and I have owned.

Canon 30D

Canon 1D Mark II

3 Canon 1D Mark 3's

1 Used Canon 7D

and 2 7D from the Loyalty program..as the refurbs from canon are the only bodies I ever had with a warranty and I never had a problem with any.

7D is far better..weather sealing, much better AF system, 8fps, build is much better, 100% viewfinder coverage..Not made from plastic..the one advantage the 60D has over the 7D is the manual control of line level for the mic. the 7D is full auto control only. the 60D is good...personally I dont find much of a difference at all between the T3i and 60D as they are almost pretty much the same in all aspects but size of body and button layout..

I have misunderstood the Canon Loyalty Program this whole time. I thought you had to send in a broken body of the same model as the one which you wished to receive.

You could really send in a 7 year-old Canon P+S in exchange for a 7D from the CLP? :eek: That's awesome.

I have misunderstood the Canon Loyalty Program this whole time. I thought you had to send in a broken body of the same model as the one which you wished to receive.

You could really send in a 7 year-old Canon P+S in exchange for a 7D from the CLP? :eek: That's awesome.

Yea, I called them to confirm. I told them I had a Canon PowerShot ELPH SD1300 which I bidded on ebay for $1. They then asked me what I wanted.

60D 639.00

7D for $1087.00

also free shipping.

I think i'm going to go with the 7D.

Oh but wait.. 24MP T4I??? Maybe I need to wait a bit...

SouthFlorida_Tron

imho, save ur money and go with the t3i, its just as capable as any other full sized slr (to an extent)

use that extra loot on better glass, like Red Ring Beauty "L" glass :ninja:

the 60d is pretty much identical (even with AF & such) its just slightly bigger, and weather sealed....

its not like say..... comparing the t3i to a 7d.... lol

:mellow:

I'm having a hard time getting my brain to accept the fact that Canon is willing to sell a 7D for that much under MSRP.

they have been doing this for a few years...they had the 5DII on there for a while for 1800 but they took it off

use that extra loot on better glass, like Red Ring Beauty "L" glass :ninja:
I already have that disease. I purchased the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM a while ago. It's all down-hill from here.

they have been doing this for a few years...they had the 5DII on there for a while for 1800 but they took it off

It's a shame, because that's what I've been saving for. Once I can justify the cost, I'll be getting either the 5DII or 7D.

If I have the $ for the 1DX, I'll be taking that route though. Such an amazing body (on paper).

Does the the T3i have the second LCD for manual control on the fly? The other rebels don't. I have a 60d and I'm very happy with it. Wish I had bought the 7d, LOL!

I already have that disease. I purchased the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM a while ago. It's all down-hill from here.

It's a shame, because that's what I've been saving for. Once I can justify the cost, I'll be getting either the 5DII or 7D.

If I have the $ for the 1DX, I'll be taking that route though. Such an amazing body (on paper).

I can't see a reason for the 5D. The 7D is a much better camera. The 5D's only bonus is that it has a larger sensor. Sure that does go a long way for image quality if you just want a very basic camera that takes full frame quality photos. If you want a camera that is good "on the go" though, the 7D is gonna be your best friend the first time you need a flash. With the 5D, an external flash is required.

It does all depend on what you are using the camera for though.

I can't see a reason for the 5D. The 7D is a much better camera. The 5D's only bonus is that it has a larger sensor. Sure that does go a long way for image quality if you just want a very basic camera that takes full frame quality photos. If you want a camera that is good "on the go" though, the 7D is gonna be your best friend the first time you need a flash. With the 5D, an external flash is required.

It does all depend on what you are using the camera for though.

I've borrowed both from a friend and have seen the difference in IQ. The 5Dii has that extra level of quality, and the improved low light performance make up for the price difference.

As for the flash, I have used the built-in flash on my 450D less than a dozen times in 3 years. I have a 580EXII, which is either in my back pocket, on the camera, or in my backpack any time I'm shooting. The built-in flash is useless for just about anything.

the 5DII kills the 7D in high ISO performance..but it is a slow camera and a very dated AF system in it..I am more into fast stuff so I have no use for it since the 7D AF system is much more advanced and can keep up with fast action with the AF and 8fps.

Now with all the rumor specs of the 5DIII getting 61point AF system and 6fps then it will be a MUCH more rounded camera

digitalfreq

March 2nd is here and no announcement for T4i. Should I wait for it, supposedly in Sept I think. Or just get the 60D for $640?

If I get the 60D at least i'll have a camera for the Summer.

Man.. tough choice!

WAIT, wait.... I am trying to register this in my head. Right now I am using a Rebel XTi but if I were to bid on a broken Canon DSLR or any random model on ebay, contact Canon and through the loyalty program trade it in for a shiny new DSLR?

digitalfreq
WAIT, wait.... I am trying to register this in my head. Right now I am using a Rebel XTi but if I were to bid on a broken Canon DSLR or any random model on ebay, contact Canon and through the loyalty program trade it in for a shiny new DSLR?

Not NEW. but refurbished. It could be for many reasons. Customer overstock and return to defective and fixed product. No way to tell, but from what I understand the chances are good that the camera could have not had any issues whatsoever. but its a chance you'll have to take.

Also, it needs to be a Canon camera you're exchanging. If you want to bid on a camera, call them and inquire about that model. Thats what I did.

Doing this TONIGHT. I literally giggled while reading this. But there are only 2 options of refurbished cameras to chose from? And you have to send in whatever camera it is that you are trading?

no this is all the cameras that are avaliable for purchase

Canon XS with 18-55 IS Kit Lens - $319.99 (Price cut from $399.99 April 1, 2011)

Canon T1i - $332.79 (Price cut March 1, 2011 to $415.99. Price cut Feb 1, 2012)

Canon T1i with 18-55 IS Kit Lens - $383.99 (Price cut March 1, 2011 to $479.99. Price cut Feb 1, 2012)

Canon T2i - $383.99 (Added to Program Feb 1, 2011 @ $511.99. Price cut March 1, 2011 to $447.99. Price cut Feb 1, 2012)

Canon T2i with 18-55 IS Kit Lens - $447.99 (Added to Program Feb 1, 2011 @ $575.99. Price cut March 1, 2011 to $511.99. Price cut Feb 1, 2012)

Canon T3i - $479.99 (Added to Program Jan 4, 2012 @ $512.99. Price cut Feb 1, 2012)

Canon T3i with 18-55 IS Kit Lens - $543.99 (Added to Program Jan 4, 2012 @ $575.99. Price cut Feb 1, 2012)

Canon 50D - $562.69 (Price cut March 1, 2011 from $719.20)

Canon 50D with 28-135 IS Kit Lens - $665.09 (Price cut March 1, 2011 from $839.20)

Canon 60D - $639.99

Canon 7D - $1,087.20

you send in ANY canon camera as trade say like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-PowerShot-A7...=item20c344ef6d

digitalfreq

Just don't be dumb like me and bid on an auction that doesn't end til 5 days from now. Sort by Auction ending soonest. Also you can't choose what kind of refurb you get. It's just luck of the draw i guess.

Archived