Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ben's OMG IT'S A WATERFALL build

jedimasterben

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eddiecorrea
and my wife didn't turn off the light over the angler's tank.

Get a Apex JR controller. Problem solved. :D

jedimasterben

Eating well and healthy my ass.

Officially, #### Fintastic Aquariums of Jensen Beach.

I made a list of all of the #### I've bought from them over an 8 month period that has died (all within 48 hours of purchase):

Coral beauty angel

Royal gramma

2x mandarin

Banggai cardinal

Scooter blenny

Lyretail anthias

3x chromis

Clown

Yellow watchman

4x neon gobies

Wartskin angler

All totals up to over $250 spent.

Again, this is Fintastic Aquariums of Jensen Beach, and I hope that anyone reading this will take the warning and stay away from them.

jedimasterben

Of course it did. I'm pretty sure I may be clinical to think that it would have survived. I'm livid right now.

altolamprologus

I made a list of all of the #### I've bought from them over an 8 month period that has died (all within 48 hours of purchase):

Coral beauty angel

Royal gramma

2x mandarin

Banggai cardinal

Scooter blenny

Lyretail anthias

3x chromis

Clown

Yellow watchman

4x neon gobies

Wartskin angler

All totals up to over $250 spent.

Again, this is Fintastic Aquariums of Jensen Beach, and I hope that anyone reading this will take the warning and stay away from them.

Aww the angler died? Poor thing. You should probably stop shopping there. It sounds like they buy from a bad supplier (and probably cyanide-caught fish) then they just throw the fish into their tanks rather than acclimating them. Ask for net caught fish (although most suppliers will either lie or have been lied to) and ask about the store's acclimation procedures when you find a new place to shop.

Deleted User 3
Of course it did. I'm pretty sure I may be clinical to think that it would have survived. I'm livid right now.

I'm sorry ben :(:flower:

Rollermonkey

17 dead fish? Holy crap, dude. Time to find another store, or switch to Live Aquaria. I was hoping for a waterfall update, not bad news.

<insert rendition of taps here>

Sorry to hear about the fish, but it looks like it was eating, in your tank. Now you are claiming it wasn't eating, when you have pics of it eating in your own frigging thread?

Do you think that maybe the deaths have to do with poor decisions like putting an angler in a 3 gallon tank??? And then maybe the decision to turn the lights on so you can get pictures, instead of letting the "notoriously difficult to acclimate" fish get use to his new cramped quarters first???

jedimasterben

Actually, I missed one on my list, a Lamarck's angelfish (not something that is particularly common). The only fish to survive are two lyretail anthias, so out of the 20 fish I have purchased, that makes a 90% mortality rate.

Again, #### Fintastic Aquariums of Jensen Beach. I hope people Googling them will come across this thread.

Anyone know of any good LFS in the Vero Beach, Fort Pierce, Port Saint Lucie, Stuart, Jensen Beach, Jupiter, West Palm Beach, or close by any of those? I'm gonna make a thread in a bit to see if anyone else not reading this thread does.

jedimasterben
Sorry to hear about the fish, but it looks like it was eating, in your tank. Now you are claiming it wasn't eating, when you have pics of it eating in your own frigging thread?

Do you think that maybe the deaths have to do with poor decisions like putting an angler in a 3 gallon tank??? And then maybe the decision to turn the lights on so you can get pictures, instead of letting the "notoriously difficult to acclimate" fish get use to his new cramped quarters first???

"Eating and healthy" was the phrase used at the LFS, and it seems only one of those was true.

Poor decisions? I have not had many issues with any other livestock purchased, save for very few cases, so please, enlighten me on what I seem to be doing wrong, is giving clean water, an established biofilter, great filtration, and more than adequate space just not enough? And what size tank did you quarantine your 1.5" angler that you know so much about?

jedimasterben
Aww the angler died? Poor thing. You should probably stop shopping there. It sounds like they buy from a bad supplier (and probably cyanide-caught fish) then they just throw the fish into their tanks rather than acclimating them. Ask for net caught fish (although most suppliers will either lie or have been lied to) and ask about the store's acclimation procedures when you find a new place to shop.

I'm going to pay them a visit on Friday and give them the rundown on what happened and what I've lost from them, and to let them know face-to-face that I will not step foot in their establishment again. They usually get fish in on Thursday night and sell them (almost all of them, as well) on Friday. I didn't find this out until recently. The guy said that these have been in for a lot longer and have been eating and looked healthy, but now that I'm thinking about it, having them for 24 hours instead of 12 hours could be considered "a lot longer". FML

Ben, so sorry about the warty. :tears:

Switch to live aquaria.

I've been thinking about it, but their prices on some things are absolutely outrageous. I know that there are several reputable LFS in the Palm Beach area, I'm going to start seeking them out and paying them a visit.

Jacob042426

tanks a lot in west palm is the place to go! i absolutly love it there! ask anyone from that area, flcandy and got2envy, they are the best!

jedimasterben
tanks a lot in west palm is the place to go! i absolutly love it there! ask anyone from that area, flcandy and got2envy, they are the best!

I actually just PM'd them. :)

"Eating and healthy" was the phrase used at the LFS, and it seems only one of those was true.

Poor decisions? I have not had many issues with any other livestock purchased, save for very few cases, so please, enlighten me on what I seem to be doing wrong, is giving clean water, an established biofilter, great filtration, and more than adequate space just not enough? And what size tank did you quarantine your 1.5" angler that you know so much about?

He looked healthy and appeared to be eating in your photos. What specific gravity are the store's tanks kept? What specific gravity was your quarantine tank at last night?

jedimasterben
He looked healthy and appeared to be eating in your photos. What does the specific gravity are the store's tanks kept? What specific gravity was your quarantine tank at last night?

Both 1.023. I matched my water to theirs.

EDIT: both measured with a calibrated refractometer (calibrated to 35ppt just before testing both.)

jedimasterben
That's weird. Sure it wasn't 1.20?

Positive. Their water has always in the past measured to 1.020, but this time it was not. I measured two samples.

Positive. Their water has always in the past measured to 1.020, but this time it was not. I measured two samples.

Weird. Suddenly their water is at a different specific gravity. It's almost an unbelievable coincidence.

How did your tank get ich, since you quarantine everything?

jedimasterben
Weird. Suddenly their water is at a different specific gravity. It's almost an unbelievable coincidence.

How did your tank get ich, since you quarantine everything?

I haven't always quarantined fish - obviously that is now not the case, especially since this is the most expensive piece of livestock I have purchased.

I haven't always quarantined fish - obviously that is now not the case, especially since this is the most expensive piece of livestock I have purchased.

Clearly. You know a 10 gallon tank costs like $12? Tends to be a little more stable than a 3 gallon tank, especially to keep a fish quarantined for 6-8 weeks.

Archived