inTank Media Baskets

Ben's OMG IT'S A WATERFALL build

jedimasterben

DSB do not really work in nanos. Nanos have very little water volume, and as much as possible is needed. To be effective, DSBs need to be 4" or greater, and in a nano, not only does this not look good, but takes way too much water volume away from the system.

You'd be much better off to invest in a good skimmer and, if you still have any nitrate or phosphate issues, look into dosing a carbon source, such as vodka, sugar, or vinegar.

The DSB that I made is simply to cycle sand. I put all my sand for my big tank into my QT tank that is already set up and dumped a teaspoon of sugar into it to get the cycle over with in a couple of days since I was expecting to pick up my new tank tomorrow (now will be next week). I only posted the thread here as a joke since people are always bickering about how DSBs aren't feasible in a nano. :lol:

As for sand choice, black sand is awesome, your corals will stand out much more in comparison to white sand. Most black sand, unfortunately, is sugar-fine, and can be an issue in high-flow systems. I hope it won't be a big issue in my big tank, I've got three MP10s I'm putting on it. :(

You tend to speak in absolutes. That wouldn't be this hobby. :)

Your water volume argument is reaching. Example, 3g pico bare bottom versus 6g pico half DSB. Still a pico with the same water volume.

There is evidence that some denitrification can take place in as little as two iches, depending on how it is setup. That said, I tend to agree with the 4"+ rule. I do not agree that it doesn't look good. That is entirely a matter of personal preference. I have 37g display with 5 visible inches that look particularly good with the curved corners, as there is no distortion of things up against the curve, creating a convincing ocean cut-away appearance.

Additionally, there are many who argue a nano is better off skimmerless. My own experience tells me that can be very true for anything less than 20g. That said, I always argue for a skimmer. It just never a bad idea.

I strongly disagree that carbon dosing is superior to a DSB. And to some extent, it's attempting to compare apples to oranges. A properly kept DSB requires virtually no maintenance. Carbon dosing takes time and experience. Also, not everyone agrees it is necessary. I don't find it necessary. But then, I have DSB. :)

Lastly, you can find countless posts on a number of reef sights of several individuals who have since come to regret using black sand. Just say'n. ;)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense

Oh I am not starting my tank over darlin... we are moving 1500 ;)

I have all the goods, my tank is 9 months now :happy:

... but I really do like the black sand. Would not look good with what I have. If you have time, take a look at my thread. The NC24.

Black sand also sometimes has magnetic pieces inside. These can attach to magnet cleaners and really scratch up the inside of your tank if you are not careful.

I run Tahitian Moon and it stays clean as long as I siphon weekly. It is definitely magnet and I have to be extra careful with the mag float.

Am I stinker, or just trying to help? :D

jedimasterben
Am I stinker, or just trying to help? :D

Both. :lol:

TMS is not magentic, nor is it harder to keep clean than white sand - it has the same maintenance. People just aren't used to the look of it and it is "dirty" to them in comparison to white sand.

jedimasterben
I was thinking of switching my sand to black in the pico just for kicks.

Why would you want to kick it? :lol:

The term as actually "ferrous". Tho most people say "magnetic", when they don't mean it. {shrug} Why would Scorched_Ice7 and M@! say TMS has ferrous bits if it doesn't? :huh:

jedimasterben
The term as actually "ferrous". Tho most people say "magnetic", when they don't mean it. {shrug} Why would Scorched_Ice7 and M@! say TMS has ferrous bits if it doesn't? :huh:

Mine does not, and that's what I am going off of. I ran a magnet through mine. Wouldn't matter to me, anyway, as I don't use magnetic scrapers.

• 3 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Not yet. My main build is nearing completion, then I will worry about the Wifey's pico, then this. I've got some nice plans for this, though. I'll relay them soon.

• 1 month later...
altolamprologus
Look what Iiiiiii gotttttttttttttttttttttttttt

2012_07_20__13_05_17.jpg

2012_07_20__13_03_28.jpg

Wartskin anglerfish

AAAAHHHHHHH YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!

I still say it's a painted. If you can, get a really really detailed pic of the lure please :flower:

jedimasterben

SWEET BABY JESUS THIS ANGLER IS FRIGGIN' AWESOMESAUCE.

More pics in the 3g temp home:

2012_07_21__00_00_28.jpg

2012_07_21__00_01_22.jpg

2012_07_21__00_01_41.jpg

2012_07_21__00_02_51.jpg

Here he is at the 'tail end' of his midnight snack, a ghost shrimpie:

2012_07_21__00_38_09.jpg

2012_07_21__00_38_13.jpg

Video:

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

And a :flower: for alto for convincing me that this was necessary in my life. :wub:

altolamprologus
SWEET BABY JESUS THIS ANGLER IS FRIGGIN' AWESOMESAUCE.

More pics in the 3g temp home:

2012_07_21__00_00_28.jpg

2012_07_21__00_01_22.jpg

2012_07_21__00_01_41.jpg

2012_07_21__00_02_51.jpg

Here he is at the 'tail end' of his midnight snack, a ghost shrimpie:

2012_07_21__00_38_09.jpg

2012_07_21__00_38_13.jpg

Video:

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

If he disappears in the middle of the night, you know who took him :ninja:

And a :flower: for alto for convincing me that this was necessary in my life. :wub:

Glad I could help :flower:

jedimasterben
If he disappears in the middle of the night, you know who took him :ninja:

Glad I could help :flower:

I'll sleep right next to the tank. You'll never get him! :ninja:

:P

altolamprologus
I'll sleep right next to the tank. You'll never get him! :ninja:

:P

:ninja: Ninjas :ninja: don't wake people. HA!

jedimasterben
:ninja: Ninjas :ninja: don't wake people. HA!

Psh, like you wouldn't want to wake me up if you came all the way to FL in the middle of the night! :naughtydance:

My anglerfish brings all the girls to the... room... with fish... <_<

altolamprologus
Psh, like you wouldn't want to wake me up if you came all the way to FL in the middle of the night! :naughtydance:

My anglerfish brings all the girls to the... room... with fish... <_<

So if I did happen to show up....

I happen to like rooms with fish. That made me :lol: though

This kind of reminds me of an aquarium idea I had awhile back. I wanted to have 3 different types of tanks using 1 system (Reef/Planted/Species Only).

fYs3g.png

BTW, amazing tank idea and beautiful angler :)

jedimasterben
So if I did happen to show up....

I happen to like rooms with fish. That made me :lol: though

You can't resist my charms!! ;)

This kind of reminds me of an aquarium idea I had awhile back. I wanted to have 3 different types of tanks using 1 system (Reef/Planted/Species Only).

fYs3g.png

BTW, amazing tank idea and beautiful angler :)

Thanks! So you want one kinda like Petco uses for their plant storage? They're pretty awesome. I wish I knew where they got those!

Had a scare tonight (today, early as crap). I went out with some friends, I just got back (it's 4:30 AM here), and my wife didn't turn off the light over the angler's tank. I walked in and checked up on him and it was kinda wedged up under the rock I have in there, so I moved the rock and then it was all stiff and wasn't moving and I was like OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

but then I saw it breathing, it was just playing "no, I'm not going to eat you, whatever gave you that idea?" :lol:

Archived