ReefCleaners.org

DIY Standalone pico reef attempt.

skitzy11

Hey i am new here and hoping to delve into your colective knowledge about this pico build i have started. I have seen alot of pico reef systems that have a 3:1+ refuge running on them to keep them ballanced so i decided to try something new. I set out to make a Pico/ Fuge all in one system < 2.5g total volume that hopfully can become balanced and thrive. As an added chalenge i want to spend no more than $100 on the build (i already have the lighting and pump).

Let me know any pointers/ ideas you have. As i said this is my first attempt at a < 10g system.

Here is my current design:

pikofuge.jpg

Piko2.jpg

I suggest that you make sure you have a fan incorporated in your hood/lighting because i have just set up my pico and it is sitting at 86F on hot days and 77F on an ordinary day this is in AUS summer time.

Just got done Glueing the acrylic. Had to switch some things around because the computer model just didnt let me know how small it was going to be. Full width baffles left me with with only 3" for the center chamber and no mechanical filtration. Ended up having to put the mechanical filtration inline with the pump (ramped it up to 65gph that i can crank down to about 30-40) which gained me an extra .75" for the center chamber. Pump chamber is 3.75" Mf is 3".

Sorry about the paint bucket but it just took me 8 hours to glue this thing togeather (damn you 2.5 hour wait time) so im not up to changing the 3d render.

Pikosumpfinal.jpg

Installed Overflow and return and siliconed suspect seams (more than i would have liked) ready to build lighting housing and water test tomarrow.

P1020986.jpg

Are the two parts attached? I'll tell you one thing, salt creep is going to ruin this tank. I had a similar design and the salt creep made me shut the tank down.

So you have to be ready to clean the salt creep every week or live with it. My guess is that this tank won't last long unless you have a proficient way of cleaning it.

Cool design though, don't get me wrong.

-dan

No the 2 parts are seperate and i have built a base to hold the tank in place while cleaning the fuge. just have to turn off the pump and lift off the tank (and maybe take a cup of water out to reduce splash.

Sorry about the delay in the build posts here I set it up on saturday and had it running for about 4 hours. It looked great and was running perfectly when i noticed that the Table it was on had a small puddle forming . Upon closer inspection i found one of my seams was a little bubbly and likely seaping. I tore it down and taped it and siliconed the suspect area. Let the silicone rest for 24 and refilled. Puddle . I dried it out again and scraped out the silicone and applied weld on 16. I will have to water test tonight again.

If this one fails i will be calling the glass shop to get all of the sump peices cut again. . But if everything is good I will get it back up and running and post tomarrow.

Well I Definately jumped the gun but I water tested (only 38 hours cure time on the little bit of 16 I used). :):D:lol: It seems to be holding. I rinsed a few times and decided to fill and set up with a few crappy pieces of LR from my now torn down frag tank and with full intentions of doing a couple of 75% waterchanges before I Stock just in case of any glue residue.

I descided not to make a enclosure around the light yet as i am not sure the current fixture will be enough for what i may want. (I will likely end up with either a DIY LED or a par 38) Also i still need to add refugium lighting. Thinking a 20w mini halogen (let me know what you think as i have never done a fuge before?? Anyways here it is ( god hope it doesnt start leaking.)

P1020987.jpg

Im interested to see how you detach the drain and pump before pulling the tank off the sump.

Looking good and i hope to see this one stocked soon. What are your stocking plans? I recommend a par bulb for lighting a cube if you go for more light :)

-dan

Dan, The overflow pipe comes off with the top and Detaching the pump is simple in the system I just turn off the pump and lift off the tank (stiffness of the return line holds line on pump while running, Suction cups on bottom of pump hold it in sump when i pull off tank) I have already pulled off the tank several times when i had it running the first time and once today (didn't like where the heater was setup.)

As far as stocking I am definately focus on Zoas but i may try Ricardia/Sexy shrimp or small watchman/ pistol or my wife is pushing for a Dwarf seahorse but i think the tank may be too small for that.

Archived