Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

red cyanobacteria/red algae

SmoknthaREEFer

SmoknthaREEFer

So for the past two weeks ive been battling this stuff. I cut down the amount of food from everyday to everyother day. Its hard to measure the amount i feed just a small pinch of Rod's Food(I have 1 occy clown and 1 tailspot blenny and a small frag of GSP's and a fairly large Waving hand anthelias). I have a 10 Gallon setup with a koralia 240 nano. Not sure i can up the powerhead becuase my waving hand anthelias already have good movement any stronger id be afraid it would be too much. I have two T5 lights at 38 watts which i keep on for 8 hours a day. The stuff continues to grow still. My parameters are all good. Nitrates are 0 though id have to believe its becuase the cyanobacteria is using up all the nitrates so that might not be right. Im looking in to changing up my CUC to cerith snails and scarlet reef hermits(right now i just have turbos and blue leg hermits). Any thoughts?

Well just orderdred a quick crew from reefcleaners so hopefully those ceriths will get under my sand and take care of the red algae.

I had similar trouble. LFS suggested checking pH - mine has always been at the lower end (8.0). When I upped the pH to 8.3, most of the cyano went away. I had also added to my cuc which couldn't have hurt.

In my tank there were no nitrates and phosphates were very low. I was running purigen and gfo. I wasn't overfeeding and lighting wasn't on too long. I was starting to get fed up with it and either the cuc or pH change worked (so far).

Yeah I have always gotten water from LFS and they use RO water. How do you up your PH if it is in fact low?

I make my own RO/DI and add reef cyrstals. I think my house has too much co2 because the first step is to ensure your water has good gas exchange (surface agitation). If this doesn't help you can add supplements. I am out of town and don't recall what I used but I'm sure you could find something on the sponsors' websites. Some supplements can affect other parameters so best to do a full water test first to see where you are before buying.

Archived