Cultivated Reef

Unethical reef keeping

JamesHL88

The real question is, would you crush your puppy for a million bucks?

How about a cat?

Hamster?

For a million? Without a doubt. I would make escrow the money first though.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For a million, i would beat the dog to death with the cat, then rape the hampster while my fish watched.

EDIT: i take one statement back .... one person did say they think fish dont feel pain.

holy crap that was funny... almost sig worthy.

I'm with you though... there isnt much i wouldnt do for a million bucks.

How about a cat?

Hamster?

No, Never

Yes (hate cats)

Yes (I'd do it for free)

I've flushed my share of fish too. I flushed a damsel once cause he was a d!ck and killed my little clown.

Sure, I don't want them to die. I've invested tons of time and money in this hobby.

The answers to my question are a sad reflection on society.

Not saying I would give a different answer ... just saying.

What's sad about it? The society who can't distingusih between human life and a goldfish are the ones who need help.

To each their own. There is no way of humanely killing something, but if you wanna take it as putting something out of it's misery that's a different story. I got a ton of extra dwarf ceriths from Reef Cleaners that I don't want or need. Haven't had the heart to flush em yet so they've been sitting in a plastic container that I have changed the saltwater twice in and fed flakes. LOL. As the "higher intelligent" beings on the totem poll it's our free will to make the choices we think are right to maintain the life of other living things/pets. It's up to us to be responsible and not take in any animals we don't know about or have the knowledge to care.

Or you could look at it as, we are humans they are fish. We win. LOL

How about a cat?

Hamster?

Cats are evil and if they were big enough would eat/kill you.

It's expected that most people will have something die on them at some point due to error, however, if we all just flushed our fish instead of taking steps to prevent and cure illness then we would literally be wasting the reefs and denying future generations the opportunity to experience them, either in the wild or in a tank.

Or we are helping the fish evolve into a super hybrid sewer rat fish that can fight crime.

Cats are evil and if they were big enough would eat/kill you.

true. thats why there arnt many living folks with "lap lions" and cuddle panthers.

im looking forward to a nice hog hunt soon as me and my buddies put one together. i plan on shooting the babies too.

true. thats why there arnt many living folks with "lap lions" and cuddle panthers.

im looking forward to a nice hog hunt soon as me and my buddies put one together. i plan on shooting the babies too.

Send me some bacon.

I would say my sadness to losing a pet is directly proportional to how long I've had it.

I lost a 10-year-old Bala shark about year ago....it spooked when I was cleaning the tank, hit the ceiling and went *splat* on the tile. I shed some tears for a few days, he is buried in the rose garden. I still fear cleaning my fw tank in the hopes the other two wont follow the same air-borne path to death.

Danios, now they still get the proper flush treatment when they pass. Stupid little fish.

I got a ton of extra dwarf ceriths from Reef Cleaners that I don't want or need.

Lol your the guy that hates free stuff i read your thread. It made me laugh.

Lol your the guy that hates free stuff i read your thread. It made me laugh.

Wrong guy dude. If it's free it's for me! Just stated that I didn't flush em.

Eh...

This topic is very culturally bias. What's a human's life worth? That depends who you ask and under what circumstances we're talking about.

Same thing applies to any 'being'.

Is right to keep living things for yourself? Probably not. Keeping fish in a well cared for cage probably isn't going to send anyone to hell.

If it feels wrong, it probably is.

When we see people doing stuff that we feel is unethical, one, they probably don't care or two, they just don't know any better.

Pretty small drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things... (imo)

Would you flush this fish?

I have a figure 8 that does that! He's the man (or fish?)!

I feeling that by purchasing a fish you accept the responibility of keeping that fish happy and healthy to the best of your abilities and knowledge. I also get fustrated anytime I have a problem in the tank because I always feel it is my fault (which is always is since I'm the only thing that touches the tank) and that these critters are suffering because I want to keep their little ecosystem in a box for me to watch.

All of my fish are pets, but the aquarium is a hobby. Does that make sense? I view all of my fish as special little friends (sappy, I know, but I couldn't find better wording) like a dog, cat, or my 6 gerbils (who reside in gerbiltopia). However, that act of maintaining them is a fun hobby, which I don't find annoying or stressfully like cleaning up the gerbils poo.

Btw, Guinea pig is very tasty, as any Peruvian would tell you, and I'm sure dog, cat, and monkey taste fine too. However, this deosn't mean I buy Guinea pigs in the US and kill them for the heck of it. It just means that while in Peru I sampled a local dish that most Americans Frown upon. So a million dollars? Sign me up.

Eh...

This topic is very culturally bias. What's a human's life worth? That depends who you ask and under what circumstances we're talking about.

Same thing applies to any 'being'.

Is right to keep living things for yourself? Probably not. Keeping fish in a well cared for cage probably isn't going to send anyone to hell.

If it feels wrong, it probably is.

When we see people doing stuff that we feel is unethical, one, they probably don't care or two, they just don't know any better.

Pretty small drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things... (imo)

Hey. A fellow reddingite on here. Don't see too many of your kind around here... :happy:

Hey. A fellow reddingite on here. Don't see too many of your kind around here... :happy:

Ya - There aren't many of us, lol. I think the lfs's keep a lot of us down...

Reddingite ?

I googled it and all i got was some mineral by the same name.what is that? Is it a secret society? Can i join? Im willing to do strange things involving cats, dogs, and hampsters. (See the previous page)

altolamprologus
Reddingite ?

I googled it and all i got was some mineral by the same name.what is that? Is it a secret society? Can i join? Im willing to do strange things involving cats, dogs, and hampsters. (See the previous page)

Aparently it is also a person from the same town as mark twain.

A person from the city Redding, California ;)

I had to rush to get a towel to clean my mac off from the mountain dew i just shot out of my face... I died a little inside laughing!

you guys havent seen bad yet. remember that swimming pool with the dolphins in it in egypt? thats all over the middle east. its the cool thing to do there.

HAHAHAHAHA holy Chit!

I go down to the river and catch a bucket full of walleye and perch, bring them home, start the filet process while most are still wiggling around then bake or deep fry them and enjoy every last bite ! Not to mention the dozens of "bait fish" i had put a hook into and tossed into the river then simply tossed to the ground when they didnt swim enough anymore.

But I have attachment to some of the fish in my tank, my tangs that I raised from the size of a quarter and some of the corals I have grown large colonies from small frags. I would never cut Dori's head off and put her in the deep fryer just because I was hungry ! Why ? because I "think" she has a personality and is unique upon all other tangs in the world, In all truth, you could prolly replace her when I wasnt looking with one of the exact size and I wouldnt know because they ALLL ACT THE SAME AND DO THE SAME SHIAT ! But still I care for my fish and do feel bad if one dies before they should simply because human emotions and sentimental feelings for something that you have had for a period of time tell us to feel a certain way. If I felt that way about all fish, I wouldnt be doing genocide down by the river front on any given summer day. Why ? Because they taiste good and I do not have any sentimental feeling or other emotional attachment to those fish.

I have on that notion always wondered how good of live Musky bait a blue hippo tang would make !!!!

I would never cut Dori's head off and put her in the deep fryer just because I was hungry ! Why ? because I "think" she has a personality and is unique upon all other tangs in the world, In all truth, you could prolly replace her when I wasnt looking with one of the exact size and I wouldnt know because they ALLL ACT THE SAME AND DO THE SAME SHIAT !

This is an interesting point.

I am curious as to how many people think that their fish has a unique personality.

Of all my fish, I don't think any of them are different from any other species, although it's tempting to believe that my clownfish is unique. She dominates the tank, swims all over the place and doesn't really call any specific area her home. She is always up at the glass when I'm near and begs for food if I go near the corner where it comes from. In reality, I know there are probably tons of clowns like her.

I think part of the allure of having an aquarium is that we can somehow feel more connected to the occupants. It's easy to think that our fish have personalities because it justifies some of our reasoning to spend money or make the effort to house them. When I was a kid I couldn't throw out my stuffed animals because to me they had names and personalities and I couldn't betray one of my friends.

Anthropomorphism is just a way to justify our obsessions.

Archived