Cultivated Reef

DIY Shallow Aquarium from a leaky 10G

JamieSheffield

JamieSheffield

I have the stuff I need to make an aquarium, and woke up this morning with the desire to try this out...

I have a leaky 10G tank, glass cutter, tape, silicone, and file...it feels as though this should be something that I can do...

Thinking about 20X6X6...taking the old aquarium apart and using the glass to make the new one...am I crazy or stupid or a genius or just cheap?

Jamie

maybe do 20x8x8.. This way once u have an 1" of sand and the water galf inch from top. would be like 7 or 8 gallon. I love your idea tho. just make sure it dont leek when done lol

JamieSheffield
maybe do 20x8x8.. This way once u have an 1" of sand and the water galf inch from top. would be like 7 or 8 gallon. I love your idea tho. just make sure it dont leek when done lol

Better...thanks...I have a not-great fluorescent fixture from the 10G that should really light up a tank both less wide and deep...

Jamie

what kinds of lights will you use? Im sure T5 or par bulbs would be great for a little tank. any ideas on stocing plans? sps only or lps only or mixed? I wanna start a 30long tank with all nano size fish n inverts. like 10 sexy shrimp to start lol

I have the stuff I need to make an aquarium, and woke up this morning with the desire to try this out...

I have a leaky 10G tank, glass cutter, tape, silicone, and file...it feels as though this should be something that I can do...

Thinking about 20X6X6...taking the old aquarium apart and using the glass to make the new one...am I crazy or stupid or a genius or just cheap?

Jamie

thats what i did with my frag tank. i took apart a 20L and made a 30x6.5x6.5

430718_344498452260860_100001021233256_1062776_71796869_n.jpg

Out of curiosity. How or what do you use to take the tank apart with. Is there a solvent that you use or just work at it with an x-acto knife. I have an old 29g with plastic frame that has the bottom of the back cracked and this looks like a nice way to salvage it into something useful.

Also TinyGiant. That looks really nice. How do you set up filtration with something like that?

Its very hard to cut 1/4" glass at home.

Good luck :]

24" x 6" x 8" tall

pico3.png

Img_120229213802.jpg

thats a super sick build. id love to have that

Out of curiosity. How or what do you use to take the tank apart with. Is there a solvent that you use or just work at it with an x-acto knife. I have an old 29g with plastic frame that has the bottom of the back cracked and this looks like a nice way to salvage it into something useful.

Also TinyGiant. That looks really nice. How do you set up filtration with something like that?

i used a razor and elbow grease :P

took a little bit.

then i got a good glass scoring tap cutter thing and went at it. took a few tries with the broken side until i felt i was ready to try cutting the pieces i needed to use .

this tank is actually just for frag swaps.. but you could easily hang a filter off the back of it or have it drilled and run a sump on it

I lucked out. The frames came off real easy. Then I noticed that all sides were sealed around the bottom. Enough space to run the blade around the bottom and popped that out. It was just a simple lay the tank on it's side and move the top plate back and forth to break the corner seals. 15-20 mins at the most from start to finish. Hope I have as much luck cutting the glass.

All these super slim frag tanks make me want one!

Tiny, are you running that frag tank just at swaps, or every day?!

• 4 weeks later...

CRAP! I have to try!

I have a LED light that needs a tank.

I wonder if a 1/32" carbide endmill with water misting would work for scoring the glass......

A cheap 10 gallon glass tank from wallmart is cheaper then glass from the glass shop.

Archived