Top Shelf Aquatics

Cheryl_W's BC29 build

Cheryl_W

Been wanting to get back into reefkeeping for a while now, had to wait until I could afford it. lol

I had an AquaPod 24 that my son broke while getting it out of storage so I got a BC29, tank only. Turned out to be a good thing as I decided to do several mods starting with going rimless. I still had the orginal BC stand (the one with the glass doors) and the 150w SunPod MH. I used bed risers to add height (why DO they make stands so short?) I know these will bear the weight as I used them with the other tank.

post-35344-1330281414_thumb.jpg

Now for the equipment list:

MJ 1200 return pump

Jager 100w heater

Hydor Korlia 550

I went with StevieT's media basket and the Tunze 9002 with InTank cup

Nano top-off from Autotopoff.com with a MJ900 in the reservoir

Refractometer

API test kits

Also got the 5 stage RO/DI unit from BRS

My daughter brought me some LR from the sump of her 75g and I bought about 18# more from my LFS

Had the rock in for a week now, skimmers starting to work. Now for the hard part - waiting :P

Reminds me of a poster I had as a kid - two vultures sitting by the side of the road waiting for some road kill - one vulture turns to the other and says "Patience my a$$, I'm gonna kill something"

Any comments or suggestions welcome :happydance:

Had the rock in for a week now, skimmers starting to work. Now for the hard part - waiting :P

Reminds me of a poster I had as a kid - two vultures sitting by the side of the road waiting for some road kill - one vulture turns to the other and says "Patience my a$$, I'm gonna kill something"

Any comments or suggestions welcome :happydance:

Hey. Aquascape looks pretty kool. I know waiting sucks but it will be worth it. Are you keeping the lights off during your cycle?

I used bed risers to add height (why DO they make stands so short?) I know these will bear the weight as I used them with the other tank.

:scarry:

I predict someone starting a thread in a month or two with the subject "my tank just fell over"

:scarry:

I predict someone starting a thread in a month or two with the subject "my tank just fell over"

No really these work great. they are made to support a bed with two people on it and as I said, I used them with my other tank for over a year. No worries :lol:

No really these work great. they are made to support a bed with two people on it and as I said, I used them with my other tank for over a year. No worries :lol:

Not worried about the weight. More of the fact that the tank is very top heavy and you just rasied it up on 4 pegs. I would have made a wood base that would have been a little wider than the stand itself but that is just me.

But if it works it works.

Other then that the tank is looking good.

Thanks. And the cool thing is, I'll be populating it with frags of the corals I gave my daughter over 4 years ago which have done killer in her 75g

Sustainable reefing! :D

Ok it's been a couple of weeks now and my water parameters are

S.G. 1.026

Temp 80

Ph 8.1

Amm 0

Nitrite 0

nitrate 0

I don't seem to be getting a cycle - is this because the rock came right out an established tank and into mine? I know the test kit is good as I used when I cycled the QT

Ok it's been a couple of weeks now and my water parameters are

S.G. 1.026

Temp 80

Ph 8.1

Amm 0

Nitrite 0

nitrate 0

I don't seem to be getting a cycle - is this because the rock came right out an established tank and into mine? I know the test kit is good as I used when I cycled the QT

Probably what happened. Have you provided an ammonia source at all?

not at first - the filter floss was getting nasty and the PS was pulling out light tea colored junk so I thought that meant there was something rotting in there..

On Sun went to LFS and got a dozen tiny hermits and 4 snails, both to get rid of the algae that had started growing and also to add waste. ( is it just me or do snails poop a lot?) They did a great job cleaning but still no readings - maybe I should just consider myself lucky? Or should I toss something in there?

not at first - the filter floss was getting nasty and the PS was pulling out light tea colored junk so I thought that meant there was something rotting in there..

On Sun went to LFS and got a dozen tiny hermits and 4 snails, both to get rid of the algae that had started growing and also to add waste. ( is it just me or do snail poop a lot?) They did a great job cleaning but still no readings - maybe I should just consider myself lucky? Or should I toss something in there?

Keep in mind my experience is limited but I think you're good to go. From what I've read using fully cured LR can eliminate a cycle or make it so small as to not be noticeable. If you had algae they were feeding on something. Adding the CUC would establish some bio load as well.

Lucky you!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok here is a current full tank shot

post-35344-1332098554_thumb.jpg

Everything's doing great

Parameters:

S.G. 1.025

PH 8.0

Temp 80

Amm, Nitrite and Nitrate all at 0

Calcium 500

Need to get an Alk test