Top Shelf Aquatics

Did a HUGE fragging today

TinyGiant

Oooo... A road trip with the infamous Metrokat. My wife might suspect something. LOL ;)

lol

i'll work on a stock list tomorrow. for you :)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was stoked to hear from kat that the box temp was 74F .. thats about what my tank is downstairs.. so it was nice to know I finally dialed in the method to have no heat loss :)

lol

i'll work on a stock list tomorrow for you :)

I also just checked out your band Vessel on facebook. Sweet tunes man. Play more shows and come down to NYC.

I also just checked out your band Vessel on facebook. Sweet tunes man. Play more shows and come down to NYC.

thanks man. we hit the studio friday to record 3-4 more songs. we've been focusing on recording and practicing for the cd these days. as soon as its done well be playing more often. We plan to hit up NYC this summer at some point :P

Tiny,

WHere did you get the gu10 bulbs?

check the first link in my sig. has the link to the ebay seller for the best bulbs right now

Oh cool ok! So your getting good growth out of the fixtures I assume based on the fragging your doing? Any color issues for corals? Are you supplementing with any actinic bulbs?

I'm stoked I was just chipping off the sunset monti from the large rock it was on and got an awesome surprise. Underneath the colony imbedded in the rock was a not one.. but TWO tiny pistol shrimp!!

they were about 1/2" long. the 2nd one that came out of the pencil thick hole in the center was almost clear. The other was a nice iridescent green

I put them in the 33L since there is nothing in there that could harm them.. just red leg hermits and a clown. I dropped them into the chaeto ball. I grabbed the ball to try to see if the made their way to the bottom of it and they started clicking already :)

i love good hitch hikers!

idk if i will be able to find them to take a picture.. we'll see. they were only about the size of piece of rice end to end.

Oh cool ok! So your getting good growth out of the fixtures I assume based on the fragging your doing? Any color issues for corals? Are you supplementing with any actinic bulbs?

perfect coloration and awesome growth. I frag some of my colonies 3-4 times a month and they never look any smaller.

we have monthly frag swaps and i can usually get about 30-40 frags for the swap every month.

my birdsnest corals i cant seem to frag down quick enough. i love the GU10s. enough that i did a 2nd system with them. This summer i might bit the bullet and build a large frag table tank to start some serious growing. We'll see. lol .. but i will be using GU10 for sure.

I want an 8ftx2ft by 8" tall tank.. probably will build it out of plywood with a liner. .. run it with a sump, skimmer and calcium reactor.

randythefishdude

lol do u ever sell in ct theres not to many fish stores omgomgomg i would buy some of ur frags for ten lol i cant fing much for under 20 around here ...... do u know any good lfs that would be worth the drive :haha::)

lol do u ever sell in ct theres not to many fish stores omgomgomg i would buy some of ur frags for ten lol i cant fing much for under 20 around here ...... do u know any good lfs that would be worth the drive :haha::)

i've been to CT maybe once in my life. lol and it wasnt to check out LFSs

most of the stores i sell frags to here and there sell my frags for $15-20.. i think thats the normal rate.

from what i hear most of the vendors will be in the 15-25 range.. or at least they were last year.. I would rather share the wealth and help spread the corals.. $7-10 is fine with me. I'd rather sell 300 corals at $7 than sell 100 at 10 and come home with a ton. Ideally i would like the clean out my frag system completely and give myself some funds to grab some new and interesting stuff.

i try to buy keeping in mind what others in our local club have. the idea is to increase the variety of corals in our local area so we can continue trading and growing and decrease the amount of times we need to buy corals that were chipped from the reef. The bigger variety the longer we can keep trading with eachother :)

i think i'm in the first room 101 i will have a nice NHFRAGSWAP poster with my prices on the front of my table. shouldnt be able to miss me :)

it will be neat to meet some of the people from NanoReef that i chat with all the time on these threads :)

randythefishdude

hmmm 15 not bad mabe ill take the drive if i could get some nice ones.... will they be sellin softies... lol ive never heard of this event good thing im a member of nano reef :)

hmmm 15 not bad mabe ill take the drive if i could get some nice ones.... will they be sellin softies... lol ive never heard of this event good thing im a member of nano reef :)

i know i will personally have tyree green toadstool frags, i would think softies would be of the plenty there. I'm more into the sps but definitely will have a ton of zoas and toadstools. and some gorgs and other polyps

lol i'm not kidding when i say i'll be bringing 300 frags

randythefishdude

ok kool ill should be there as long as i dont have some plans i forgot about ... the only reason i asked about softies is cause u looked like u had about all hard in the pics ... nano reef discount ? ;)

I'm calling my toadstool spike. :wub:

He's wittle and very cute.

yeah they like to extend those polyps. the size you have in a months time should be about at least 1-2" tall and 2" wide

i sold a local member on and a month later it was huge. they are super fast growers. I can razor off a good 12 frags a month and it doesnt even dent it

ok kool ill should be there as long as i dont have some plans i forgot about ... the only reason i asked about softies is cause u looked like u had about all hard in the pics ... nano reef discount ? ;)

i cant go cheaper than $7 a frag. that would be stupid lol. i'm already going to be half the price of most of the fraggers there.

i just do qty break downs. 10ea 5 for $40 or $70 for 10 really wont find frags online cheaper than $10 ea and you have to pay shipping.

kat. i'm pretty proud of your sig. i really dig it. lol sometimes i sort of surprise myself lol. all this sig designing is really sharpening my eye .i like it :)

randythefishdude

i dident whant u to go cheaper than 7 $ ....7$ is a great price for ct theres only like 4 fish stores 3 are crazy rich people places where its like 40 for brown zoas ...i will deffenitly make the ride up ill buy some from u :) ijust lost my toad stool i gess im replacing it soon ;)

sweet. it should be a really fun time.

i was just getting a couple pieces off the new zoa colony and found a clam imbedded on the rock covered in zoas.. he'll be coming to the swap :) its not a tridacnid clam but its still pretty neat!

kat. i'm pretty proud of your sig. i really dig it. lol sometimes i sort of surprise myself lol. all this sig designing is really sharpening my eye .i like it :)

It's cute, hidden shoes and all. IF that roy thief steals it I'm going to be pissed!

So about the toadstool. Mine is perfectly round, not a 'cut' frag shape at all. Is that just a baby or what?

lol nope its a cut. shows you how quick they start growing. I think that one was about a week old. if i remember right it was about to drop so it was smaller on the end that i cut it. take pics of it every week and keep track of its growth :)

166911_10150485971727373_606832372_9309595_148458426_n.jpg

the leather on the left started out your size and this about a 6 weeks later (he needs more actinic in the tank to get it to color up like it should)

figured i would post this here too :)

I've been working on this Pico rock for about a month now

pico-rock.jpg

I was thinking of asking like $75ish for it . has at least 20 different small frags on it right now, monti caps, chalice, leathers, palys, 5 different zoas. as things fall off the plugs in the 33L i glue them to this instead of reglueing them to the plugs lol.

here are pictures of my current stock

frag1.jpg

frags2-1.jpg

frag3.jpg

fragsa1.jpg

and a better picture of the zoas soon to be fragged up

zoacolony.jpg

oh.. and i also have this good sized purple rim cap that i will be selling for $20 its about 3" round i have 4 large colonies of this already and didnt need another. It grows really fast in my system. No joke i fragged 4 frags off the edge of one of the other colonies and the next day it was completely healed (its in direct flow of the K3 and 6" from the surface)

purplerim.jpg

i really hope i sell out of frags at the FFM. two days ago the Front differential went in my truck.. makes my truck useless for plowing as i cant engage the 4wd :( its probably going to cost anywhere from 600-1200 bux to fix depending on how cheap they can get me a good used dif. I'm hoping that its something else. Wed i drop it off and they are going to check it out. I was hoping this stockpile of frags was going to get us back on our feet after a horrible winter with no snow to plow. lol go figure.

Archived