Top Shelf Aquatics

Custom AIO 20L Build

YankeePete

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just noticed your 4d ultrasound pictures sitting next to your tank, we have our appointment to do that at the end of may. Is it crazy to see? Awesome tank btw. I can't wait to get started on the 5.5 build.

Just noticed your 4d ultrasound pictures sitting next to your tank, we have our appointment to do that at the end of may. Is it crazy to see? Awesome tank btw. I can't wait to get started on the 5.5 build.

I also noticed those as well. Having done the same about 3 months ago it was very much worth it.

Sneak peak!

• 2 weeks later...

I love this. I've been drawing out ideas that are similar to this for a while, but I don't have the skill (or access) to make them happen.

How are you liking the baffle set up you did? Do you think you need all three? I'm trying to figure out how to fit an overflow w/filter floss, a heater, a nano skimmer, and a return pump all in the 12 5/8 inches that a standard tank has front to back.

My plans are still months into the future, but this build is making me wish I was further along.

I'll definitely be following.

YankeePete

Long overdue for an update. We added our first fish to the tank...it's a Court Jester Goby. He's been a great fish, a little shy at first but he is coming around. I have been dealing with some hair algae but hopefully I can get it under control.

I designed up a drop in media basket finally and it is working very well...

MediaBasket.jpg

MediaBaskeintank.jpg

Next up is a proper fixture for the LED's, I have a couple of ideas that are going to be killer I think!

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Super sick!!! Is it me, or is your return pump not using a hose? You just have it suspended and adhesed directly into the return nozel?

• 1 month later...

Well here is a short update on the tank. We have been gone from home for a long time being in the hospital with the baby. Just before we left I finished the LED light mount. Here are a couple of pictures from when I first made it. The tank is a complete mess as it had not had a water change in 3 months!!!!!

LightStand_zps4de4ab6a.jpg

LightStand2_zpsf3aa670c.jpg

• Like 2
Awesome fixture. My tank looks so ghetto -_-

For the money it's working well. Hardest part was figuring out a hanging/mounting system. Took me a few months to make the mount in the picture. Do you have a tank build thread of your own Tana? I would love to see yours.

• Like 2

Glad to see your back - Pete. You make some great stuff out of acrylic !!!! Thanks for making my overflow lid back in May :happydance:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Worked on an airstone skimmer for that 20L AIO today. So far so good. It's sort of a counter current skimmer using the incoming flow of water through the overflow!!! I can adjust the airstone height, air pressure and skimmate cup height. I placed it into my tank at 6pm today and can't wait to see how it does! It's about 12" tall by 1.25"x1.5" so it has a pretty small foot print.

SkimmerCup.jpg

Skimmer1.jpg

• Like 2
Worked on an airstone skimmer for that 20L AIO today. So far so good. It's sort of a counter current skimmer using the incoming flow of water through the overflow!!! I can adjust the airstone height, air pressure and skimmate cup height. I placed it into my tank at 6pm today and can't wait to see how it does! It's about 12" tall by 1.25"x1.5" so it has a pretty small foot print.

SkimmerCup.jpg

Skimmer1.jpg

How can I get one of these for my 8 gallon!? None of the small skimmers on the market fit (besides the biocube one).

Glad to hear everything is going better with the new baby! :)

Break in...break in....we don't need no stinking break in! This is what I had from 8 pm to 5 am. Sure could it be darker...yes....sure could there be more of it ....yes.....but not bad for a start....

First_Night.jpg

• Like 2

I just had to make a red version! I will let these two skimmers run for a week or so and in the mean time work on a slightly taller version with a longer made body tube and a couple of other design changes. This is my first and only experience with a skimmer so I am not sure at what point I can claim it is a success. But I am very happy with that it is pulling out of this 20L tank so far.

ReefRocketFull.jpg

• Like 2
i think i need to beta test one... :lol:

You would be in line for beta testing but...there is always a but....as the design stands right now it is built to work with my 20L AIO kit. The skimmer uses incoming water into the overflow/refugium area to supply the counter current feature on this skimmer. I am trying to put together a user friendly, economical and reef smart AIO package for the 20L tanks.

• Like 2

Just be sure to let us (I mean me of course... ;) ) know when you have more of those 20 gal long AIO kits available. I'm eagerly awaiting one....

Just be sure to let us (I mean me of course... ;) ) know when you have more of those 20 gal long AIO kits available. I'm eagerly awaiting one....

^---this. +1 !!!

• Like 1

This is the skimmate from the last 24hrs(from 5am yesterday to 5:30am today) of the first skimmer running. The power of air bubbles!!!

24hrs.jpg

• Like 2

i was thinking of making an aio 120gallon . with the same idea you have. i started a thread in the begginer section. what material did you use plexi or acrylic. i was also going to use mirrored plexi or acrylic..didnt think about a lid but it looks nice .my plan was to cut off about a foot of the 120 .any ideas that might help ?

The tank looks amazing! btw I was wanting to order some products from you but your inbox is full :(

Thanks a lot!!!! I just cleaned my inbox.

• Like 2

Archived