inTank Media Baskets

Custom AIO 20L Build

YankeePete

I was wanting to up grade my current 3 yr old 5.5 AIO to something larger. I was thinking a 10G but realized a 20L was the better choice. I designed and machined(on my CNC router!!) a fuge wall, top and end covers. The pump is a MaxiJet 900. Lighting is via a 24 LED AquaStyles DIY kit. I do not plan on using the lens as it will be mounted close to the water surface. Next I am going to build and enclosure for the heatsink and an enclosure for the LED drivers and a cooling fan. Plan is to have mostly softies and LPS but would like some SPS as well.

20LFuge1.jpg

20LTop.jpg

Water_Flow_Full.jpg

With_Cover.jpg

Wired_LEDS.jpg

Filled_20L3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking Good! I also have the Aquastyles 24 kit over my 20L. It lights the tank well and im sure with you shortening the display area you will get great cover. Running no optics with also give a better spread but it will decrease the PAR significantly. I had mine checked at the LFS with the 80 degree optics and w/o...w/o was almost a 100 point drop at the surface....just and fyi

I like what you did to cover the filtration area. Very clean. If you're still doing this during the summer, and I don't end up having to move all over I'll be contacting you about a 30long.

How does the light mount over the tank?

Livestock plans?

Looking Good! I also have the Aquastyles 24 kit over my 20L. It lights the tank well and im sure with you shortening the display area you will get great cover. Running no optics with also give a better spread but it will decrease the PAR significantly. I had mine checked at the LFS with the 80 degree optics and w/o...w/o was almost a 100 point drop at the surface....just and fyi

Thanks for the info. The display area is now 25" long. I am unsure as to whether I will use the optics yet or not.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying to get a couple other ideas finished and made while I am getting the tank wrapped up. I drew these little 3 hole frag racks up in SolidWorks during lunch the other day and machined them out of acrylic. I have some rare earth magnets to resin coat and mount to them over the weekend.

Frag_rack3plugs.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a couple of new pictures. One of the little frag rack with it's magnets bonded on. I am going to look up and order a couple different sizes of magnets to handle thicker glass as I feel the current ones are only good for 1/4".

The other picture is of a little refugium light I put together quickly last night. It's just one of the extra LED stars I had left over from my tank light. I wired it up to a simple spare power adapter I had laying around and potted it along with a magnet into polyester resin. It looks ok and is crazy bright so it should work well.

FragRack_Magnets.jpg

Fuge_Light.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome little refugium light.

You will be able to submerge that to light lets say cheato from any side you want minimizing the need for turning?

• 2 weeks later...

Tank has been up and running now for a month. I will get a couple of new pictures over the weekend. I still need to complete the hood and an enclosure for the LED drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

I tweaked the design and size of my mini frag racks. Instead of encasing the magnets in polyester resin I just machined a pocket and machined a cover to go over the top of them. The resin looks super cool but is smelly and messy to work with.

Mini-Rack.jpg

• Like 1

So here is a real bad full tank shot from last week. I will move all of the frags on the sand bed into my 5.5 AIO that I am redoing as a frag tank for my 10yr old daughter.

FTS_4-2012.jpg

• Like 1

I have 3 turbo snails, 1 emerald crab and 3 blue legged hermits. As for a heater I am using a 75w Jager. It just fits height wise. I am thinking about 1 or 2 fish but can't make up my mind what I want!

• Like 1

I really have not put a lot of thought into it yet to tell you the truth. I would like to find a special clown of some sort.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived