inTank Media Baskets

Clam Question(s)

Owl's_Head

I've been thinking about possibly getting a clam, but I just wanted some thoughts first from those who have experience.

I'm using the Skyye 30W LED lighting. Here's the PAR chart.

iwirdi.jpg

I'm not really seeing specific lighting needs, just "Moderate to High" and then some FAQ/People saying that they can be kept in Power Compact, Halides, T5 etc.

Another thing is, since I assume if I could get one, it'd have to be up on the rocks. Would that work, so long as there's enough room for it to open completely?

For instance, if I put it right here, in the center, it'd be around 8 inches from the light. Getting maybe 250 PAR?

And it'd have a good amount of space, but be on top of LR

2w38f9y.jpg

Go for it, or not going to work?

Thanks

Get an SPS and put it at the top of the tank, if you can grow that without issue proceed with a crocea at the top or deresa/squammosa at the bottom. Clams can grow fairly quickly and will need to be dosed with a 2 part or alot of WC. Best of luck

you would probably be OK, but make sure you get the type of clam that is suitable being on rocks, which i cant seem to remember the name of

Good point, I'm not sure what types can go on what surface. I was basically looking at the Deresas because I'm seeing that they're easier.

Get an SPS and put it at the top of the tank, if you can grow that without issue proceed with a crocea at the top or deresa/squammosa at the bottom. Clams can grow fairly quickly and will need to be dosed with a 2 part or alot of WC. Best of luck

That's an idea... You think it's possible to put a Deresa/Squammosa on the bottom?

According to the PAR chart, the bottom is only getting 70-100

Croceas and maximas are rock boring clams

Derasas and squamosa may attach to a rock as a baby but over time theyre byssall opening closes with shell growth

I have a maxima attached to a frag plug in my sand bed that gets aprox 190par. Remember clams suck up calcium and DOCs

A Derasa/Squamosa will get up to 18+ inches in size. So keep that in mind when you pick up that 3-5 inch one. And they get big quick so they will suck up Ca and CaCO3 like its going out of style. A Maxima/Crocea will get upwards of 6"+ and will also suck up Ca and CaCO3 quickly so again monitor/dose is key.

Light wise you are fine for any of those clams with Maxima/Crocea being rock boring (they should be on rocks) and Derasa etc. being sand bed based. Put the clam in the upper 50% of the tank and see how it does. If it doesn't keep falling over for reasons other than being startled of water flow blasting it and its mantle is not stretching up towards the light then its fine. If it does fall over allot for reasons other than those listed move it either closer to or further away from the light depending on where you start with it.

Either way all of those clams will be ok to start with in your tank with the Derasa/Squamosa needing a new home in a couple of years.

As stated above I forgot to mention. When I added a 5 inch maxima I immediately had an uptake of 8ppm more calcium and about 0.44dkh a day more then before in approx 33 gallons of water(37.5gallon system - aprox rock space)

Crocea tend to be less colorful than the Maxima and are about the same difficulty in terms of care so it would be a wash between the two. Regardless I agree with Darkwhitemagic in that anything under 3" in terms of clam size is not a good idea. Better would be to find one that is 4-5".

Archived