Top Shelf Aquatics

Encrusting clams

patback

I definitely want a clam, without a doubt, but keep making excuses and chickening out the last second. I just want to make sure my tank is good for one. I believe my lighting would be sufficient for a derasa, but I want to hold out for a maxima when I get my led kit.

My question is if I have encrusting clams growing in my tank, Does that mean my water quality would be sufficient for a decorative clam? Is it the same amount of calcium, particulates for feeding, flow, etc for both maximas and encrusting clams? Other than lighting, is there a difference between keeping the 2 different types?

I have both in my tank...my calc dropped an extra 8ppm calc per day after adding a 5inch maxima in a 37.5 gallon system with aprox 33actuall water volume. Encrusting don't use near as much as tridacnidae

Thanks, the actual numbers help me out a lot.

An encrusting clam is just a filter feeder that embeds itself into the rock. Some are smooth shelled, some have shells that look like the fancy clams, but without a mantle.

Deckoz, I ordered the 24 led dimmable from aquastyle. Do you think a maxima could be kept on the sand bed with this in a standard 10 gallon?

Yes, 12 inches deep. I'm not sure how high up I will have it, it is still in transit. Not even sure how I want to mount it. How high do you recommend mounting it if it has the standard optics( I think standard is 80, I need to check) and at around how high of power should I have it?

Archived