Coral Vue Hydros

Can i keep SPS and leather coral in the same tank?

cyber98

Yes. Put your SPS upstream of your Kenya and run carbon if you think there is a problem. Leather's engage in allelopathy (as do sps and others) aka chemical warfare to go against "rivals" in the tank. By keeping the SPS upstream of the leather then there is little chance of a chemical shroud hitting the sps directly since it will go into the filter before it gets to the sps. Carbon will also help by filtering out the chemicals released.

3751919[/url]']

They are really far apart from my tank? should i Get rid of my kenya tree?

It is possible, however be aware that most softies give off chemicals that will inhibit growth of SPS corals. This can lead to death of the SPS. Nepthia corals are reasonably toxic and release a chemical very similar to turpentine. Many argue that you can combat e toxicity with ample amounts of carbon in the system, but this may lead to other issues down the road including carbon release of chemicals back into your system. "Really far apart" doesnt work when talking nano tanks, or even with larger closed loop systems.

If it were me, I would keep the favorite and ditch the other then build from there.

3751927[/url]']

Yes. Put your SPS upstream of your Kenya and run carbon if you think there is a problem. Leather's engage in allelopathy (as do sps and others) aka chemical warfare to go against "rivals" in the tank. By keeping the SPS upstream of the leather then there is little chance of a chemical shroud hitting the sps directly since it will go into the filter before it gets to the sps. Carbon will also help by filtering out the chemicals released.

Carbon is likely the succes factor moreso than "upstream". In a closed loop system, everything is upstream from even itself. Remember, no chemical filtration is 100% and neither is a flow pattern's direction.

Unless you love the kenya tree id get rid of it. Not only for the chemical warfare, but it spreads like a weed. Often popping up where you dont want it.

You should be fine with kenya tree and SPS together. Just give them some room. I've had kenya tree (capnella) and other types of leathers like fiji leather in different tanks for years with plenty of SPS without issue and no carbon in use. Sinularia, Paralemnia, Lemnalia, Nepthea, and Lobophytum are more likely to produce toxins when they shed a coat of slime. Not all leathers will produce a toxin.

Carbon will help when they are sliming.

I'd worry more about mushrooms stinging SPS than leathers. Kenya like most softies will reproduce and spread easily.

It is possible, however be aware that most softies give off chemicals that will inhibit growth of SPS corals. This can lead to death of the SPS. Nepthia corals are reasonably toxic and release a chemical very similar to turpentine. Many argue that you can combat e toxicity with ample amounts of carbon in the system, but this may lead to other issues down the road including carbon release of chemicals back into your system. "Really far apart" doesnt work when talking nano tanks, or even with larger closed loop systems.

If it were me, I would keep the favorite and ditch the other then build from there.

Carbon is likely the succes factor moreso than "upstream". In a closed loop system, everything is upstream from even itself. Remember, no chemical filtration is 100% and neither is a flow pattern's direction.

Unless you love the kenya tree id get rid of it. Not only for the chemical warfare, but it spreads like a weed. Often popping up where you dont want it.

You should be fine with kenya tree and SPS together. Just give them some room. I've had kenya tree (capnella) and other types of leathers like fiji leather in different tanks for years with plenty of SPS without issue and no carbon in use. Sinularia, Paralemnia, Lemnalia, Nepthea, and Lobophytum are more likely to produce toxins when they shed a coat of slime. Not all leathers will produce a toxin.

Carbon will help when they are sliming.

I'd worry more about mushrooms stinging SPS than leathers. Kenya like most softies will reproduce and spread easily.

Thank you guys...I can see the kenya tree producing some string stuff since i had relocate them...iguess they are out of my tank and my mini carpets aswell hopefully by tomorrow, they are too huge and id rather keep sps since my minis and kenya tree are occupying almost 70 percent of my aquarium..damn this hobby, it is too addictive and really expensive -,-

so am i endangering my SPS corals with a mushroom toadstool leather in my tank?

Yesterday my kenya slimed all over the aquarium, I woke up this early morning took out my kenya tree and my 2 huge mini carpet anemone and returned them back to my LFS and got two sweet live rocks.

Thankfully the water change did the trick and right now my two new SPS are under high flow to remove the slime off them.

In my opinion, it really depends on the tank size. I wouldnt risk it in a nano.

Omg this sounds serious...should i ditch the lenya tree? They are on the opposite side

No. Just make sure that the kenya tree is near the overflow and the SPS it by the return and add carbon.

Archived