Top Shelf Aquatics

Seiryoku's Innovative Marine Nuvo 16

Seiryoku

China

On the base of mine, the black acrylic that it was made from had these waves in it. Now any other factory would have scrapped that piece but not the one IM makes their tanks at. What this is is a "short roll". When the acrylic is sent through the two rollers to size it after being extruded there wasn't enough material flowing through so it makes deep waves in the final product.

Now they don't make the acrylic, but they (the $3/hr employee) knew that piece looked the way it did.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first tank I received had that exact issue with the base... So many things that should have never happened...

I was told they changed their policies so that 2, may have been 3, people have to sign off on these tanks before they leave China. That is either untrue or the kids they employ are missing eyes and or are too short to see all of the tank...

Sent the manufacturer a link to this thread. If they even bother to check it, perhaps it will get them off their ass...

They better straighten up their act, I am investing in these tanks. I am sure they will as economics would have to come into play. They have a lot invested as well and can't afford too many warranties and no one purchasing the tank.

We had a pretty good laugh over the short rolled acrylic, even the fact that was sold to IM's contracted factory is ridiculous.

They better straighten up their act, I am investing in these tanks. I am sure they will as economics would have to come into play. They have a lot invested as well and can't afford too many warranties and no one purchasing the tank.

We had a pretty good laugh over the short rolled acrylic, even the fact that was sold to IM's contracted factory is ridiculous.

Had a talk with Manny, was very productive. When they get their next shipment of tanks in, on the 20th, he is going to personally inspect one and ship it to me. In the mean time I'm keeping, and get to keep, my current (defective) one. I didn't want to wait two more weeks to have a tank setup >_>

The delay in responding to me was due to them being out of town at a thing...forgot what, my brain hurts. Don't hold it against them as he responded to my third email extremely quickly.

One of the two tanks that were sent back to them arrived broken and they are eating the cost of the next one they are sending me. Awfully expensive for them I'm sure, but hopefully this helps them straighten out their manufacturing process.

Can't wait for you to come out with the media baskets for the Nuvo 16...the stock ones are crap lol I almost broke one last night trying to get the cover back on...

Assuming I get the final tank and it is free of any defects I'll alter my stance on the company.

Had a prototype in my hands on Tuesday. Need to make one small change but they should go into production next week. Want to release it with a fuge type basket that goes in the chambers next to the media baskets. So maybe two weeks? I want to have them out together so I can rape all of you suckers for all I can get as fast as I can get it :happy:

It's a tough spot since they don't actually manufacture the tank but have to put their name on it. Sounds like they are doing what needs to be done. This is why I am scared to make tanks, screw all that breakage.

Unlucky indeed... Hopefully they can make good though...and together with inTank media baskets the tank will rule the world!!!

Bwahahahahahha

*runs away*

Almost went with the nuvo 16 myself...then got cold feet and started a 9g quasi-cube instead. May upgrade to one a couple years from now, once the kinks are worked out and I'm more experienced. Plus a local store carries the line at a close-to-online-price so I'd get to inspect before taking delivery!

I've got that same heater in my tank...does a great job of keeping the temp locked to within .5 degrees or less of what's set (verified by top-down shot with an IR temp gun against the rockwork weekly). Two things to be aware of...1) it's freaking huge compared to other manufacturer's similar-rated products and 2) it cycles on and off a lot more often and for less time than most heaters I've owned so it raises the temp slower than you may expect. I look at this as a good thing as there's less chance that changing a temp on it will overly stress your livestock and allows them a chance to acclimate.

Some have complained that the larger E-series heaters are mis-rated for the tanks they're adequately able to heat...for example my friend's got a basement 35 gallon that an E200 took 2 days to get up to 77 degrees. But by his own admission it's cold down there and it's kept it stable ever since. I haven't had the same issue with mine...completely happy since I didn't have a controller to mind the temp for me and the suction-cupped digital thermometer proved to be fairly innacurate.

However, given that you're already getting an Apex, you may want to look into a smaller-footprint design like Theo's. Especially since the fluval's casing is somewhat big for the heater column on the Nuvo 16.

I'll look into the heater a bit more, thanks for all of the info :)

Filled the tank to test the overflows and pump. Overflows are silent...the pump is LOUD :( Vibrates too much. It is nearly silent if I put it in the main display (can feel it vibrating in my hand), put it in the rear chamber and it being so close to two walls makes a terrible noise.

Think the pump will break in or should I start shopping for a higher quality quite one?

Also, the tank holds about 12.5g of water with nothing else in the tank.

I'll look into the heater a bit more, thanks for all of the info :)

Filled the tank to test the overflows and pump. Overflows are silent...the pump is LOUD :( Vibrates too much. It is nearly silent if I put it in the main display (can feel it vibrating in my hand), put it in the rear chamber and it being so close to two walls makes a terrible noise.

Think the pump will break in or should I start shopping for a higher quality quite one?

Also, the tank holds about 12.5g of water with nothing else in the tank.

At first my pump was really loud too. Then one day I realized that I could barely hear it and wondered when that happened. :lol:

At first my pump was really loud too. Then one day I realized that I could barely hear it and wondered when that happened. :lol:

That is good to know! It did quite down some overnight...but the tank is literally two feed from head while sleeping. Think I'm going to replace the stock pump with either an Eheim 1000 (265gph) or two 600 (160gph).

My heater seems to suck. Temp was 62 last night when I put it in and only 70 when I woke up. Looked at the apex temp graph and it looks like it topped out at 70 and dropped down to 68 overnight... Have read a few reviews that state the heater is really weak. Not sure what I'll do.

Think I'm going to replace the stock pump with either an Eheim 1000 (265gph) or two 600 (160gph).

If you go with the Eheim 1000 be sure to report back on how it is.

My heater seems to suck. Temp was 62 last night when I put it in and only 70 when I woke up. Looked at the apex temp graph and it looks like it topped out at 70 and dropped down to 68 overnight... Have read a few reviews that state the heater is really weak. Not sure what I'll do.

I'm running a plain jane Eheim Jager 50W heater and it's been pretty decent. According to my Apex the temp swing is about 1 degree with the house set at 68 degrees. I thought about getting one with more oomph but it's not on as often as I thought it'd be.

Can't access my apex outside of my home network yet. When I get home I'll see what the temp has done over the day.

Looked into the Eheim 1000 some more and it has an 5/8" output on it, the 600 is 1/2"... Pretty sure the stock tubing in the Nuvo is 1/2", but I didn't pay much attention to it honestly. Probably end up going with two 600s. All of the reviews I've read on the Eheim pumps say they are silent. One guy said he had to check the media in his reactor to tell if the pump was running.

One of the two spin streams I got stops working after a few seconds...no matter what I do to it and the other is too loud to use.

Can't access my apex outside of my home network yet. When I get home I'll see what the temp has done over the day.

Looked into the Eheim 1000 some more and it has an 5/8" output on it, the 600 is 1/2"... Pretty sure the stock tubing in the Nuvo is 1/2", but I didn't pay much attention to it honestly. Probably end up going with two 600s. All of the reviews I've read on the Eheim pumps say they are silent. One guy said he had to check the media in his reactor to tell if the pump was running.

One of the two spin streams I got stops working after a few seconds...no matter what I do to it and the other is too loud to use.

Damn, 4 tanks...I guess I got lucky with mine.

Im using the stock pump and a MJ900 on each return. The tubing is all 1/2" when I last measured. Make sure to get some hose clamps cuz I had anxiety attacks wondering if my returns had come loose and if water was shooting up and out (this happened on my NC24).

My Ebo Jager 50w barely ever turns on (tank stays solid at 78.6 all day, with a small fan for the hot SoCal winters) using a RKL

Going to replace my bad heater via a LFS tonight. Ordered a Jager 75w, just in case, as well as two Eheim 600 pumps for returns (stock pump is still too loud and I'm sure it is as quite as it will get). Got black tubing and hose clamps too!

Think I'll pick up my rock while I'm at the LFS...if there is time after work.

Learned that the outlets on the Apex Jr have mechanical relays...rather loud click when they turn on or off. Really kills the silent factor of this tank and silent is what I was going for (nightstand tank).

Got a new fluval e heater...still doesn't work worth a crap.

Those who use them in a Nuvo, where do you have it mounted and at what angle, if any?

Programming the Apex is a #####! I like to consider myself a somewhat smart person...with experience in computer programming and web design, math..etc... But this thing is just a #####! Nasty learning curve...

Once you get it all figured out it is simply great :D Working on the random thunderstom with my AI Nano now.

Has tank #5 made it to you yet?

IM was to receive their shipment from China on the 20th, but there has been a week delay. So no, haven't received my final (perfect) tank as of yet :( Not really impressed with the company... Sent them an email about one of my spin streams stopping every few seconds and it was completely ignored...

Pissing me off...I want to stock the damn thing!

Hey I just picked up a nuvo 16 in black for a good deal as my LFS was trying to clearout the last one.

The quality was almost perfect but not quite there.

The silicone job was good enough so the tank was not leaking water outside of the tank and not from the display into the refugium.

I noticed after filling it up with water that the inner sides of the glass had a few tiny scratches, which got me a little upset. Glass doesn't scratch very easily so what the hell caused it? lol

Oh, also on the rear-sides of the tank that are like black adhesive backing were kind of peeling at the top edges. Hardly noticeable if you aren't looking for it, but after reading your issues with the tank and company, I made sure to inspect mine before throwing out the original box in case I needed to return it!

Anyway, I hope the next one you receive is PERFECT, really sucks IM is not stepping up their QC/QA. They should really give you some free accessories to make-up.

Also, I too noticed both my spinstreams will stop rotating until I give it a little knudge. Had the nuvo for a week now and it has happened once on each spinstream so far.

What types of media are you adding/removing/replacing into the refugium?

I am going with corals, cleaner crews, inverts and maybe 2-3 1"-2" fish.

So far I am still cycling the water and I have 10lbs Tonga live rock, 20lbs Nature's Ocean live sand #0.

and so far in the refugium I am using the stock media baskets (removed carbon sponges), Chaetomorpha (in one chamber, no light yet - soon), Eheim 75w heater (in the second chamber) and Clear FX Pro 450ml (in return sump). Oh, I also bought filter floss but I'm not sure where to add it to in the fuge.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be great!

By the way I have done years of freshwater and finally brave enough to really get my feet wet with saltwater.

Really excited to see what I can accomplish with a tank of this size.

What inspired me was seeing this 10 gal coral setup with inverts and was literally blown away by it.

Here is the link: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/8/aquarium

The black sand was my first choice but later read that it does not buffer the pH and is has magnetic properties, so I went with white live sand to make it easier on myself this first time.

Still no new tank and no contact from Manny at IM. Two days past the new arrival time of their shipment. Dude better get this taken care of before I unleash holy hell on everyone!

Man, this is ridiculous, I feel for you so much. You have some awesome patience though, I would have just asked for a refund after the first one and went with a different manufacturer. There is so much crap out there on the market. I just ordered a Skimz SM121 skimmer, made in Singapore, I'm crossing my fingers till it gets here.

I hope everything turns out for you and this build. I look forward to seeing it with live stock soon :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived