Cultivated Reef

Hooligan's Clownfish Breeding Thread

hooligan_78

Whats the glass thickness on the 10 gallons you drilled?Im thinking of doing the same,But was a bit scared to drill 10 gallon tanks.The ones I have the thickness is only 1/8.Thanks

Whats the glass thickness on the 10 gallons you drilled?Im thinking of doing the same,But was a bit scared to drill 10 gallon tanks.The ones I have the thickness is only 1/8.Thanks

Drilling 10g is not the problem - it's how you hang your drain lines that you have to be careful of. Make sure the weight is supported and you should be fine. I've seen systems that have the plumbing supported by the glass implode.

Drilling 10g is not the problem - it's how you hang your drain lines that you have to be careful of. Make sure the weight is supported and you should be fine. I've seen systems that have the plumbing supported by the glass implode.

^This, thank you sir. My drain lines will not be hard plumbed to the main line. My fear is accidentally bumping the main and cracking all the tanks. Also having your drain assemblies put together before attaching to the tanks is helpful, you don't want to be torquing an elbow and break the glass. Drilling wasn't too bad, was nerve racking the first time, hence the one in the middle with the hole that is lower...oops. We were just excited we didn't break the first tank.

Edited by hooligan_78

would drilling the bottom and having a standpipe coming up be easier?Thanks for both of ya'll replies..I started to use pcv overflows because I dont thing 1/8 glass will survive the long haul.Im waiting on my Aqau Lifter to arrive and then will be set

would drilling the bottom and having a standpipe coming up be easier?Thanks for both of ya'll replies..I started to use pcv overflows because I dont thing 1/8 glass will survive the long haul.Im waiting on my Aqau Lifter to arrive and then will be set

Most 10g tanks bottoms are tempered glass. That won't work out very well at all. Plus when you are setting up multiple tanks on more then one level - having your drains out front and easily connected has a lot of advantages.

And here were are, over 60 DPH! If you look in the first pic, you'll see my occy/perc hybrid, the product of my very first attempt some 5 months ago. It for sure is a slow grower, as several of the pure ocellaris clowns are as big, or bigger. You can also see the reflection of the 40b I've been cycling to move them all into. I ended up splitting the hatch into 2 10g tanks for now as they're getting quite large.

7801575694_fa9d521258_c.jpg

7801574924_7433a19708_c.jpg

7801576518_3fdaf788ea_c.jpg

Got the 40b growout done last night. Moved 5 of the little guys over as a test. They were doing fine this morning, a little sketched out, but fine otherwise. Still need to get an ATO for it and maybe a glass lid.

Not that it's a big deal to you hardcore, experienced, bred this and that breeders; but I'm getting something from Mr. Rich! Nothing crazy, but let's just say it's...fancy. :ninja:

thanks my wife is going to really be happy i decieded to grow out clowfish lol

Don't get too excited. She hasn't seen how much space your new hobby will take up!

A new addition is always something to be excited about. To me it could be something simple like a regular occellaris to something rare like a thiellie. Thats what makes it exciting

A new addition is always something to be excited about. To me it could be something simple like a regular occellaris to something rare like a thiellie. Thats what makes it exciting

No, no. Don't get me wrong; I'm super pumped to get my fancy! I'm saying that his wife will be excited until she sees how much space, time, and money is required!

Edited by hooligan_78

Just tagging along,are u going to switch the male of the onyx ?? If so u should pair it up with a Darwin aka (bnw) make some photons no one is making that combo after sanjay lost the male Darwin ,there is only a few offspring of that hatch I have a female from that combo I'm trying to bond my super black ice with her but she's a biatch!! The the the male is a ##### cat..he's scared of her all I could do is wait

Just tagging along,are u going to switch the male of the onyx ?? If so u should pair it up with a Darwin aka (bnw) make some photons no one is making that combo after sanjay lost the male Darwin ,there is only a few offspring of that hatch I have a female from that combo I'm trying to bond my super black ice with her but she's a biatch!! The the the male is a ##### cat..he's scared of her all I could do is wait

I was seriously considering it, but not sure I want to do any more hybrids right now. Once I get my awesome fancy ocellaris from Rich, I plan on pairing it with the onyx's male. I'm still on the hunt for a nice onyx or picasso to pair with my onyx female. I'm also scared of running into your problem and having trouble pairing, especially after spending good money on a fish that might end up dead! Maybe you could shake up both their worlds. Take the female out for a bit, move the tiles or pot, then put her back in? Might help.

IMO try and get one of the picasso onyx or a picasso with a lot of black markings.

That was my thought as well, but now with all the locals here going bat#### crazy for photons, thanks to Sanjay's recent lecture and raffle that gave a pair away. They're all looking where to get some. I already have the onyx, which are super rare here, all I need is the B&W Ocellaris. I'm still not sure I want to do that.

Edited by hooligan_78

Ugh...Just nuked an entire clutch of ocellaris percual hybrids. My RotiGreen Nanno, was more like RotiBrown... I think it went bad. Killed several hundred. One remains. For whatever reason, my fault, or other, I have no luck with my hybrids.

Made a run to Lowes last night! Got everything (I think) for the brood system's plumbing. Tonight: build sump, the start building the returns. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the drains and get everything together and tested for water on Sunday.