SaltCritters.com

Going from 10-20ppm to 0ppm Nitrate?

duoc9119

Letting my tank take its course through the cycle and different phases. I ran filter floss for the first month and Nitrates were in the 10-20ppm.

After that I got rid of the filter floss, added a Super Tongan Nassarius, and two Margarita snails, as well as a gallon water change. Then resumed the waiting game and then did another gallon water change. Tested for Nitrates and got 0ppm.

I thought this was strange and maybe I did something wrong so I tested again the next day. Again, 0ppm Nitrates.

Could the source of Nitrates been coming from the filter floss? I've always used filter floss with in a media rack or a power filter, and always had high Nitrates and then a tank crash later down the road.

I'm working on a custom tank with a 5 gallon bucket sump and was planning on using a filter sock. But if the source of Nitrates is from mechanical filtration I may need to change up my plan.

So is it possible that things like floss and filter socks can cause a constant Nitrate level, and then upon removal no traceable levels?

Letting my tank take its course through the cycle and different phases. I ran filter floss for the first month and Nitrates were in the 10-20ppm.

After that I got rid of the filter floss, added a Super Tongan Nassarius, and two Margarita snails, as well as a gallon water change. Then resumed the waiting game and then did another gallon water change. Tested for Nitrates and got 0ppm.

I thought this was strange and maybe I did something wrong so I tested again the next day. Again, 0ppm Nitrates.

Could the source of Nitrates been coming from the filter floss? I've always used filter floss with in a media rack or a power filter, and always had high Nitrates and then a tank crash later down the road.

I'm working on a custom tank with a 5 gallon bucket sump and was planning on using a filter sock. But if the source of Nitrates is from mechanical filtration I may need to change up my plan.

So is it possible that things like floss and filter socks can cause a constant Nitrate level, and then upon removal no traceable levels?

Both filter floss and filter socks should be changed weekly as a bare minimum. Probably even rinsed in between changings

Unlikely. Think of all the detritus throughout your tank. It's in the substrate, in the live rock, and in the overflow. The small amount of detritus that in the filter floss is small in comparison and although it will contribute to the total nitrate of the tank it will not be the soul contributor.

Archived