Pod Your Reef

8 Gal Nano Clown Tank

11GTCS

Lighting Update!! I worked on my LED DIY setup and got most of it done this weekend... Here it is.

Top View

post-71819-1332033654_thumb.jpg

Bottom View

post-71819-1332033665_thumb.jpg

I get to get back into my dorm tomorrow since spring break is done, and it remains to be seen how much algae with be on the glass lol! I will be going up with the CUC and a fish! Finally lol more than an empty tank. I am getting some culture from a guy who did his doctorate on nitrifying bacteria in tanks and that will boost my bacteria and give it some diversity :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a fish! Clownfish, of the ocellaris variety. He is a tank bred specimen from sustainable aquatics... I have him in a quarantine tank, and the picture I took is terrible, but still here he is! I'll put the light on tomorrow after he is less stressed! I also got a small zoanthid colony since they were super cheap and got a nice hitchhiker baby brittle starfish! Pics upcoming tomorrow.

post-71819-1332119200_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the zoa colony before it was in the tank! I don't want to do a FTS until the snails clean the algae up but its a better shot anyway because of the tiny tank.

They've responded really well to the tank, and I think they will do well where I put them. I also put some DR Tim's in there so we will see if that boosts and tops off the bacteria colony

post-71819-1332383335_thumb.jpg

So what about those 3up lights? Did you put them on the tank already? Are you satisfied? Asking because I ordered too, waiting for their arrival.

So what about those 3up lights? Did you put them on the tank already? Are you satisfied? Asking because I ordered too, waiting for their arrival.

Hey! I haven't put the rig on the tank yet, but I soldered it all up and they are incredibly bright! Should be interesting, but I'd say they will be very effective. I'd equate the brightness to an HID headlight with four of em.

I'll be sure to do that!

Update: Everyone is doing well, and I have new livestock! A nice piece of LR with star polyp coral, and a decent size cleaner shrimp! Everyone seems happy and settled in, and levels are acceptable. I tried frozen brine and the tank went bonkers everything tried to eat it the snails, the shrimp, the corals got bigger, and the clownfish was darting around loving every second. I think I found a new favorite tank food :)

post-71819-1332766264_thumb.jpg

nice tank, now you just need a faster car :)

Haha good joke :D after this summer that motor will be singing with all the stuff I'm putting in it and it wasn't slow to begin with

Haha good joke :D after this summer that motor will be singing with all the stuff I'm putting in it and it wasn't slow to begin with

Who said i was joking?

Who said i was joking?

Haha you want to pit a Mini against a 550 hp mustang in a quarter mile this summer I'd be more than happy to drive to a drag strip of your choosing.

Check out reefcleaners filter food. My stuff loves it and my zoas growth has taken off.

I will! They're already growin good I'm looking to get a 1 mL syringe so I can feed them the goupy gunk i get from melting frozen brine shrimp like i do the star polyps

Haha you want to pit a Mini against a 550 hp mustang in a quarter mile this summer I'd be more than happy to drive to a drag strip of your choosing.

lolz at your straight line bet, too bad my old station wagon could beat that (srt magnum) but how about a track? id like that thing hang through a turn...maybe you should factor in your bulky heavy car also...just saying 2100lbs with 233whp vs your mustang that probably doesn't have 550 hp more like 415-430?????? but if you are only concerned with living your life a 1/4 mile at a time i guess you da man

lolz at your straight line bet, too bad my old station wagon could beat that (srt magnum) but how about a track? id like that thing hang through a turn...maybe you should factor in your bulky heavy car also...just saying 2100lbs with 233whp vs your mustang that probably doesn't have 550 hp more like 415-430?????? but if you are only concerned with living your life a 1/4 mile at a time i guess you da man

No that's what it makes stock, I've modded it since then to about 500, and this summer's mods will push it the last 50. Above that would take what your car needs--forced induction. But it hangs through a turn just fine if you have any sort of skill. MT pitted a 2011 mustang identical to mine in stock form against m3, and it lost by a fraction of a second. And to each their own, I just like pony cars and v8s. If I wanted a track car I'd have bought and tuned an rx-8 or porsche cayman.

Update! My cleaner molted, which was a nice wake up (seeing what seemed to be two shrimp in tank). Everything else seems to be going well! I can't wait for the tank to mature. :D The clownfish and cleaner shrimp are such a pair. The clown is tank bred and doesn't know what the heck the shrimp is trying to do to her. So the clown will swim slowly up to the shrimp, and then burst through the the antennae and swim away. Drama like middle school haha.

Haha yeah I think clowns might not like it because of the correlation between mucus coats and their ability to live in anemones, so they might not want that protective coat disturbed. It's ok tho I usually make his day by hiding some crushed flakes between my fingers and letting him find them. :D

I have an 8 gallon Clowntank too :D

53898629911575372511211.jpg

I took it nice and slow... All parameters remain at zero no matter what I feed. Probably the coolest thing I've ever had in my life.

But that's not why I'm posting here... your car is ####ing beautiful. I'm in college currently... so as you can imagine I'm strapped for cash. Just wanted to give the Stang some love.

I have an 8 gallon Clowntank too :D

53898629911575372511211.jpg

I took it nice and slow... All parameters remain at zero no matter what I feed. Probably the coolest thing I've ever had in my life.

But that's not why I'm posting here... your car is ####ing beautiful. I'm in college currently... so as you can imagine I'm strapped for cash. Just wanted to give the Stang some love.

Thanks man! I love that car so much! It's my baby, I got to go on a full ride so it was what I blew my college money on. Not brilliant financially but I don't regret it a bit.

My levels aren't straight 0's just yet, each Livestock addition causes a tiny climb and then drop. I think that is just because I waited so long to put stuff in because of spring break that some of the bacteria died with no ammonia source :D

You have a gorgeous tank though that's really awesome!

Haha It'd be nicer if that wasn't an iPhone picture.

I'm a motorcyclist so when I graduate I'll probably waste my money on a bike. I graduate in less than a year and I already work full time, so I am luckier than most Americans.

Haha It'd be nicer if that wasn't an iPhone picture.

I'm a motorcyclist so when I graduate I'll probably waste my money on a bike. I graduate in less than a year and I already work full time, so I am luckier than most Americans.

Yeah I use my iPhone for pics because my DSLR doesn't have a macro lens. I ride a bike myself, I have a Ninja 650R from 09. I don't think I'll upgrade mine for a long while though.

No that's what it makes stock, I've modded it since then to about 500, and this summer's mods will push it the last 50. Above that would take what your car needs--forced induction. But it hangs through a turn just fine if you have any sort of skill. MT pitted a 2011 mustang identical to mine in stock form against m3, and it lost by a fraction of a second. And to each their own, I just like pony cars and v8s. If I wanted a track car I'd have bought and tuned an rx-8 or porsche cayman.

forced induction? LOLZ shoudlve just gotten a car that comes stock with one, blower or turbo...what did you do to it for the car to go from 412bhp to 500 without a blower? ps, rx-8 and cayman not track cars hehe

forced induction? LOLZ shoudlve just gotten a car that comes stock with one, blower or turbo...what did you do to it for the car to go from 412bhp to 500 without a blower? ps, rx-8 and cayman not track cars hehe

I don't know quite about that they are easily modded to pull some impressive track numbers. Just because they aren't popular for track doesn't mean they aren't decent at the track.

The car is very conservatively advertised, BHP according to most dynos is closer to 430. It's also tuned for absolute maximum economy, and so I very aggressively tuned it to a premium only, high compression tune that gained around 40 hp, and freeing up the intake and exhaust gave another 10-20. So it makes between 480-500 hp. I also plan on putting on a Boss intake plenum, which gives more top end and around an extra 15-20 hp, and I might work on some other engine tuning while its open. I also want to put a lightweight racing driveshaft on to reduce loss. As far as forced induction, I could easily get a blower for it from Steeda that would clear 625 BHP, but for me forced induction is just not as fun. I love a high revving open engine.

Ok big update! The new lighting is on, and already the corals are in love! I'll retire my 12W Coralife T5 to 2.5 gallon duty where it belongs.

Picture of the Light on the testing rack

post-71819-1333320186_thumb.jpg

Picture of the tank with light on at 30-40%

post-71819-1333320201_thumb.jpg

Zoas after 2 hours in the light

post-71819-1333320217_thumb.jpg

Don't mind the blue color imbalance the tank isn't actually that blue

Archived