Coral Vue Hydros

Media Basket Fuge vs Tunze 9002 Protein Skimmer in Biocube 29

brianep1968

I'm using the Tunze Protein Skimmer currently and it works like a champ. I was getting ready to buy a Media Basket and noticed they have a fuge as well. If you use the fuge the Skimmer will have no room. Which one would I most benefit from?

Well with the media basket you get more efficient filtration if used in conjunction with filter floss, purigen, chemi-pure elite and a fuge. I'd say you'd be better off with the media basket then just having a skimmer. A skimmer just removes DOC and junk from your tank which in a BC29 can be achieved by normal water changes. With the mediabasket and normal water changes I think you'd be better off in the long run. Just my 0.02 cents.

use the media basket with skimmer...

i used to use the chaeto in the fuge but it didn't really do anything for the tank

then i heard if u try chaeto AND the skimmer, the chaeto will probably die

When I had my biocube, I saw better results with the media basket n skimmer combo than the media basket n fuge combo. I ran filter floss, purigen, and chemi pure elite in my basket as well.

I went with the Media Basket, Purigen, Chemi Pure Elite, Poly Filter also got that little nano mag, sick of hitting my corals when cleaning the glass

• 2 weeks later...
brianep1968

Received the media basket yesterday and love it. Now trying to get my Tunze 9002 to foam again, it has altered the water flow, No biggie, just some playing around

Mushroom Boy

You'll like that basket. I have the same setup (Tunze 9002 and the media basket). I run floss and purigen in the top shelf, chaeto in the middle (with JBJ Nano-glo) and BRS' ROX 0.8 carbon in the bottom layer.

Archived