inTank Media Baskets

Adding two clownfish at once?

kaylamarie40913

kaylamarie40913

Hello,

I have a 10 gallon nano, has been set up for a little over two weeks now. I had a slight ammonia spike, but the parameters are currently as follows: spec gravity, 1.025; ammonia, 0; nitrites, 0; and nitrates, 0. I already placed an order on reefcleaners.org for the 10 gallon quick crew which will arrive to me by friday february, 25th.

my question is, is it possible to add two small ocellaris clowns to my tank at once before my cleanup crew arrives, say tuesday? or will the bio-load be too much for my tank?

I only ask because I am home from school for the weekend and the LSF near my house has clowns that I would like to purchase and there are not really any LSF's near school that I could easily get to. if it is going to be dangerous for the fish and stability of my tank, I don't mind waiting, but was just looking to make it a little easier!

the only reason i was thinking of getting two is because my goal is to have a mated pair of clowns. i read that it is more likely to happen if the fish are acclimated together.

let me know what you think!

thanks!!

kaylamarie40913

they are nano clowns. according to the store they are the runts of the pack and are fully grown at about an inch, maybe even smaller! wasn't sure if i should get those or the small ones, if i upgrade, the nano clowns might be too small for any other fish!

altolamprologus
they are nano clowns. according to the store they are the runts of the pack and are fully grown at about an inch, maybe even smaller! wasn't sure if i should get those or the small ones, if i upgrade, the nano clowns might be too small for any other fish!

There's no such thing as nano clowns. They are probably trying to sell you stubby clowns, which are caused by a genetic mutation and should have been culled. Either way, they will get much larger than just an inch.

You should be ok if you add them at the same time. You may have a slight spike in parameters but not enough to hurt anything. Just monitor your parameters closely if you are going to try for a pair of clowns make sure you get 2 that are very different sizes. Meaning large and small if not they may not work out as a pair. Good Luck ! PICS , PICS , PICS... :P

kaylamarie40913

so you guys don't think adding two will add too much to the bioload and will kill a fish? i'm more concerned about that!

and i've never heard of stubby clowns before i just looked it up after your post. why is it that they should be culled?

a friend of mine posted on reef central asking a similar question and everyone on there is saying to wait. kind of torn at the moment about what to do! from everything i heard before it should be fine, but reefcentral seems to think otherwise! :\

and i've never heard of stubby clowns before i just looked it up after your post. why is it that they should be culled?

They have a genetic disorder, so the idea is to improve the health of the entire species by getting rid of these ones. I don't know that they would be selected out in the wild, but it's possible.

kaylamarie40913
I would wait at least a month before adding any fish. This hobby is about patience..

yes i agree it is about patience, just trying to save some $ on gas because there are no LSF where my school is located. the closest one is almost 2 hours away.

i'm feeling that adding two might be too much, what about just one?

I would add them both at once but I'd wait 2-3 weeks after you add your clean up crew before you add fish. I did that with my tank and everyone kept bugging me about my empty tank and it built the excitement up really high that when I got fish I had a crowd around my tank LOL.

I used to raise fish and you can make 'stubby' fish by letting your water parameters get out of whack, especially trying to raise baby fish with high ammonia, they will all be nano like fish. Once I figured out what was going on I would cull whole tanks of baby fish. These stunted fish will never grow out of it and they will always be deformed. I always see deformed fish in the pet stores from incompetent breeders.

:huh:

I was in your position with my 75gal. If they are tank raised clowns... You will be perfectly fine. They are super hardy and honestly nothing seems to affect them at all. If you are getting two for sure, get them together. You will have a 99.5% chance of them being a pair. With clowns the smaller one will automatically become the male and the larger the female. Same will happen if one died... Say the male dies and you put a smaller one in... That male will become a female! I put my CUC in the same time I put my clowns in... Never had an issue. As far as the "nano" clown part.... Don't believe them. Clowns are easy to come by so I wouldn't be too worried but for any other fish or corals, I would suggest getting them online. Your LFS doesn't sound trust worthy!

There's no such thing as nano clowns. They are probably trying to sell you stubby clowns, which are caused by a genetic mutation and should have been culled. Either way, they will get much larger than just an inch.

They have a genetic disorder, so the idea is to improve the health of the entire species by getting rid of these ones. I don't know that they would be selected out in the wild, but it's possible.

I used to raise fish and you can make 'stubby' fish by letting your water parameters get out of whack, especially trying to raise baby fish with high ammonia, they will all be nano like fish. Once I figured out what was going on I would cull whole tanks of baby fish. These stunted fish will never grow out of it and they will always be deformed. I always see deformed fish in the pet stores from incompetent breeders.

:huh:

^This. There is no such thing as nano clowns, and if the clowns that you're referring to are in fact stubbies, then don't buy them.

Attitudes like this:

If they're stubbies id buy em!

are what lead to generations and generations of cancerous and ####ed up fresh water fish. Please don't support the craze of deformed fish. All you're essentially doing is supporting the loss of biodiversity and a weaker gene pool.

As far as adding the fish, you'd be okay adding both of them at once. Just watch your parameters. However, it would be safer and more ideal to wait a few weeks after your CUC is added to the tank.

^This. There is no such thing as nano clowns, and if the clowns that you're referring to are in fact stubbies, then don't buy them.

Attitudes like this:

are what lead to generations and generations of cancerous and ####ed up fresh water fish. Please don't support the craze of deformed fish. All you're essentially doing is supporting the loss of biodiversity and a weaker gene pool.

As far as adding the fish, you'd be okay adding both of them at once. Just watch your parameters. However, it would be safer and more ideal to wait a few weeks after your CUC is added to the tank.

So how will stubbies ruin the world again?

Should we cull midgets too?

Archived