Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cheato or Caulerpra

Hook'Em2006

Cheato cant go sexual and takeover your tank.

As long as I keep it trimmed then that should not be an issue, right? I definitely don't want that to happen.

I've used both in my tanks for years and never had a problem with either. I've found that calupera only seems to go sexual when something major happens in the tank like a crash, or massive change in lighting, and even then it isn't really a problem unless you have TONS of calupera and a TINY TINY tank.

Cheato doesn't grow as fast or seem to filter as well as calupera for me, but if going sexual is an issue for you then it is the safer bet of the 2.

I really like caulurpa. If you keep it trimmed, it should be fine. It grows MUCH faster than chaeto does for me. I had it go sexual once, but it didn't hurt my tank inhabitants.

QUOTE (caker_chris @ Apr 29 2010, 07:28 AM)

I was wondering what the magnets do. It says it cleans the glass but how does it clean the glass when it just sits there in one spot in the tank. Is it benificial having it in the aquarium?

lmao nice

The problem with calp is that most people don't understand they're tanks and its nutrient capacity. As all algae in our tanks grow it absorbs nutrients to grow. It will continue to grow until it finds an equilibrium which is when some algae will die off due to lack of nutrients and the the die off will reform as the same algae or another type. Best way to maintain calp without it going asexual. Not sexual because its already sexual lol. But asexual being able to produce its own spores through utilization of both male and female cell structures within the same body. Is to trim the calp and never let it reach that equilibrium. This can also be achieved by feeding more. Because when you feed more you raise the bar of that equilibrium at which the algae has maxed out and starts to die causing it to go asexual as a survival response.

Call has a faster nutrient absorption capacity. But you run the risk of going asexual by not providing enough nutrients. Also call should not be lit 24/7 but on a 16day/8night hour cycle

Cheat has no risks of taking over but for it to be effective you almost have to run lighting 24/7. No light cycle will not cause adverse effects on this plant unlike calp which needs a "rest" period

The problem with calp is that most people don't understand they're tanks and its nutrient capacity. As all algae in our tanks grow it absorbs nutrients to grow. It will continue to grow until it finds an equilibrium which is when some algae will die off due to lack of nutrients and the the die off will reform as the same algae or another type. Best way to maintain calp without it going asexual. Not sexual because its already sexual lol. But asexual being able to produce its own spores through utilization of both male and female cell structures within the same body. Is to trim the calp and never let it reach that equilibrium. This can also be achieved by feeding more. Because when you feed more you raise the bar of that equilibrium at which the algae has maxed out and starts to die causing it to go asexual as a survival response.

Call has a faster nutrient absorption capacity. But you run the risk of going asexual by not providing enough nutrients. Also call should not be lit 24/7 but on a 16day/8night hour cycle

Cheat has no risks of taking over but for it to be effective you almost have to run lighting 24/7. No light cycle will not cause adverse effects on this plant unlike calp which needs a "rest" period

So I Should run the lights for 16 hours and give it an 8 hour rest period? Where can I get cheato? No local fish store has it? I am super confused on what to use. I have an 12g NanoCube using caulerapra right now.

So calp is kinda like pot?

So I Should run the lights for 16 hours and give it an 8 hour rest period? Where can I get cheato? No local fish store has it? I am super confused on what to use. I have an 12g NanoCube using caulerapra right now.

Use either one, calp you should light 16/8, cheato light 24/7 like tron said to absorb the poopeh. You can order some online if you cannot find it locally, also there are plenty of members selling some in the livestock classified

So calp is kinda like pot?

haha kinda. except there's no stage after flowering when its harvest time at the end when you cut back the lighting to 6day/18night hours for 2 weeks to cause the plant push all the res out of its glands to crystalline up to "protect itself" for winter

I never had a problem with Caulerpa. I just kept it off the rocks and it always looked amazing. When I switched to LEDs it started to go clear so I removed it. I saw no ill effects.

Archived