Top Shelf Aquatics

Skimmers and Nano Tanks

divy

I know skimmers are not needed for a nano tank as weekly water changes will do but if you had the space for one would you still add one to your tank?

Im thinking that it can only help and if you forget to do a weekly water change it would be helpful

lets say for tanks 10gallons to 15gallons

I know skimmers are not needed for a nano tank as weekly water changes will do but if you had the space for one would you still add one to your tank?

Im thinking that it can only help and if you forget to do a weekly water change it would be helpful

lets say for tanks 10gallons to 15gallons

Yep, i would have a skimmer. and if not a skimmer then i would have plenty of chaeto inside one of these: http://www.finnex.net/index.php?page=shop....1&Itemid=61

I don't know why more people on here don't now about this thing, it's super cheap and it can hold alot more chaeto than an AC70, plus it has baffles if you actually want to put fish and stuff in it....... i think macro algae helps a ton, fill it with different kinds of macro's and light it from the top and bottom. It won't take nutrients from the tank as quickly as a skimmer but you could grow nice macro's in there and sell them on the side, or use it to get new fish used to the tank... or grow frags, mangroves..... whatever it has a ton of uses. My only qualms are that the pump doesn't pump a ton of water and it doesn't have a larger size.

20h with about 5 gallons sump volume, yes a skimmer. ill never run a tank without one again. easier to keep the ph in range and keeps the water cleaner. you can get a decent skimmer for around $75 from ebay. a few up us are using them and like them alot. there knockoffs of the bubble magus units but who cares. body and pump are the same, not much else to a skimmer.

Nano skimmers are not only unnecessary they are kind of a pain. Realistically the help and hurt at the same time. The stuff they remove from the water will reduce the necessity of frequent water changes but will also remove iodine and nutrients for things like coral, feather dusters, and pods.

On a large nano tank, lets say around 30 gallons, I would use one without a doubt. But for something that is only 10 gallons I don't use one for the reasons listed above and the fact that I would rather enjoy my fish more than monitor, maintain, and adjust another piece of equipment constantly.

altolamprologus

If I had the space for a skimmer, I would just use that space for chaeto. I'm not a big fan of skimmers on tanks less than 30 gallons.

Archived