Pod Your Reef

How accurate is your thermometer?

nystang

I've never paid attention to the thermometer but recently I put a mercury thermometer to my tank and it showed almost 3 degrees lower than my Coralife digital thermometer. I would love to have another thermometer to triple check the actual temperature. The digital one I have was only like $8 so probably I should invest in something better. What thermometers do you guys use?

I run two mercury thermometers, they read 25'C but my heater is set to 26'C. Both are reading the same and it is good enough for me to know that my heater is a little off.

Mine are the $2 ones you get from Wal-Mart or any aquarium store. I have an LCD one but I never bothered installing it.

I have three different digital thermometers from different manufactures. I also have a TDS meter that measures temp. None of them match and are about 3 degrees apart. The TDS meter is in the middle, so thats what I go by.

At some point I'll get a controller, Apex I think, and I hope that the probe will be accurate. LOL

i trust the thermocouple probe on my multi-meter, and generally go by what the probe on my apex tells me once it was calibrated.

and what did you calibrate your apex with? Mine seemed to be off by about 3.5 F

My fingers are my thermometer.

No, seriously, if the wire on my coralife so much as sways in the current, my readings drop anywhere from my 80* down to 60's, and then skyrockets up to the high 90's. Very poorly made design. They should have sprung the extra .0002 cents and secured the wire connections a little better.

I wonder if infra-red thermometers work on fish tanks? You know one of those you just point at things and it tells you what temp it is? Friend of mine has one, ill test and see if it works for our purposes...

I wonder if infra-red thermometers work on fish tanks? You know one of those you just point at things and it tells you what temp it is? Friend of mine has one, ill test and see if it works for our purposes...

read the fine print on those.....they are usually +- 1 to 3 F

When I woke up today my thermometer showed 82F. i turned it off and on again and it went back to the temp i usually have 79. Weird. I think I will need to purchase something more reliable. Anyone uses one of those stripes that can be attached to the outside of the tank? One of the lfs in my area have all those thermometers on their tanks.

Go on Ebay they have thecoralife digitals without the label for $2.95 or less + free shipping.get 5 of them all around your tank check multiple temps in multiple locations( for bigger tanks) I got two and they read the same as my glass one.CBTP( cant beat the price)

read the fine print on those.....they are usually +- 1 to 3 F

They do, but you have to aim it top-down (helps if you aim for rock work). Otherwise you get an inacurate read from the tank, stand surface, & whatever else is around. Also, don't do it from across the room...for much the same reason.

Mine's within ~1 degree of the readout on my E200 heater.

Any alcohol thermometer should be pretty accurate, however I like the coralife better, they are much easier to hide but it is pretty well documented that they are not accurate at all. The trick is to keep your temps steady and not let them fluctuate throughout the day. I couldn't care less the coralife reads -42°, if the tank looks fine and it has always read -42°, its all good. I have always kept and alcohol thermometer as a back up though.

They do, but you have to aim it top-down (helps if you aim for rock work). Otherwise you get an inacurate read from the tank, stand surface, & whatever else is around. Also, don't do it from across the room...for much the same reason.

Mine's within ~1 degree of the readout on my E200 heater.

I used to have leopard geckos and had a temp gun. It was extremely accurate, and was a lot of fun seeig how hot my stove, sidewalk on a hot day, a lightbulb, and everything else could get. Te only thing that sucked was that it only tests surfaces. Idk about yours, but mine was around 45 dollars and would "see" the water surface, crystal clear glass, etc.

I use those eBay Coralife w/o the label...It's about 1 degreee less than my mercury thermometer...Still a good deal if you ask me.

and what did you calibrate your apex with? Mine seemed to be off by about 3.5 F

used the thermocouple from my multimeter

my apex is

offset -2.2

i use a glass one and the one on the reef keeper. they both are pretty close. only thing i hate about the glass ones is they dont always stick well. ive also had one break and dump the lead shot onto the sand

I have the jw magnet glass one. I really like it and it seems to be pretty accurate compared to another glass one. Same temp on both. I like the magnet attachment. Doen't sway in the current or do anything funny.

I use a Tom's Aquatic Digital that I double check against an old-school mercury thermometer. I used to use a couple of Coralife Digitals, but they were (inconsistently) off by +/- 3 degrees and that freaked me out because I didn't discover the issue until my tank had been up and running for two months.

I like the Tom's because it saves the high and low in memory. Without a controller, it's a little bit of peace of mind. But I've learned my lesson with digital - always double check.

I got two of the coralife digitals for reference, always knew they would be off. I had a temp gun that I can use and it's more accurate, once I get the glass temp I'll see what it should be calibrated to.

Archived