Pod Your Reef

Tissue Recession on New Goniastrea

nhart608

I just bought a 4 head frag of Australian green splatter goniastrea two nights ago for my 10 gallon nano and it's showing a little tissue recession on some of the edges. Also the maroon color is a little faded from when I first put it in. My water parameters are fine, 78.5 F, 1.025, 0 nitrates, 0 phosphate, 8.0 ph, 440 calcium, kh 8, moderate water flow, bottom just-right-of-middle front of tank under 70w MH.

I did not see any feeder tentacles come out the first two nights but I figured it was settling. All my other LPS and softies are looking great, so it's not a tank wide issue. It's not near any other coral that would harm it. I want to do everything I can to make sure it makes it, any ideas? Too much light? Melafix dip before I put it in (after 45 min of acclimation)?

post-34953-1329524389_thumb.jpg

MelaFix? For what purpose?

You can use it as a coral dip to rid of pests (as per label directions). Have used it on a couple other corals before placement with no problems.

I'm going through the same sort of thing with some LPS after an angel fish incident and 'something else' with my blastos. So I'm here to give support, but not much else. It sucks when corals are going all icky.

Were they shipped to you? How long were they in the bag for?

Builder Anthony

i would say from the picture its from handeling.the frag looks like it

recovered from fraging but all the damage is on the sharp parts of skeleton........3 weeks to heal,generaly favias lose tissue around a cut

Were they shipped to you? How long were they in the bag for?

I got them at a LFS so only 15 minutes plus acclimation time.

i would say from the picture its from handeling.the frag looks like it

recovered from fraging but all the damage is on the sharp parts of skeleton........3 weeks to heal,generaly favias lose tissue around a cut

Anything I can do to help healing? Feed more often? Less light? I moved them to an area of a bit less light. The feeders were well out on three of the heads, the one looking the worst only had a couple feeders out. Lights are still out so I don't have a recent picture. Will post one later.

Why did it take 45 minutes to acclimate it to the tank? Were you increasing/decreasing the salt a lot? I doubt after 15 minutes the temp was overly lowered. Next time, if its a quick trip like that, IMO I'd only do a 5-10 minute temp acclimation, check the salinity of both bags, get that matched up close with your water, and put it in.

For now though... go get a beer (or your beverage of choice) and relax. Nothing you can do that won't harm it more. If it was in the tank a few weeks and doing that I'd suggest what I did with my bad lookers last night-which was a dip. But since yours is new that'd just stress it out more. You have plenty of time yet.

Archived