Pod Your Reef

cheap how to diy coke bottle skimmer!

JamesHL88

I know when I clean out my skimmers cup it stinks to high hell...How do you deal with the smell?

That skimmate is too wet to stink, at least from my experience. Only the dry skimmate stinks really bad.

im really mechanically challenged guys does anyone have a sketch of this if i wanted to try to make one?

this is as simple as a skimmer gets. cut bottom off bottle, put lime wood airstone in it at the bottom, make a way to collect skimmate.

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/11/26/diy-mame-nanp-skimmer/

this link has a video of one in action.

you "tune" it by adjusting the airflow and how high or low it sits in the water.

That skimmate is too wet to stink, at least from my experience. Only the dry skimmate stinks really bad.

Correct

you "tune" it by adjusting the airflow and how high or low it sits in the water.

Correct

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made one of these but instead of all the silicone for the caps and collection cup. You can take 1/2" pvc. 1 peice about 4" long. Another about 1" long and a coupler. Use pvc hot glue aka blue pvc glue. Glue the 4" peice inside the neck of collection cup with about 1/2" sticking out for the coupler. Then slide on your coupler and add the 1" piece to the other side. Side the 1" piece into the lower section and your done. Removable by just sliding it off. I made mine in about 5 min and was working curing 5 gal of rubble right away. I like the magnet idea will have to use one too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a pic of my attempt follows, 1L dasani bottle, wood air stone, 1/4 inch tubing for air, 3/8 for drain. 1 air pump..actually had to buy this stuff...$19... using my mag float to hang it..seems to be working, need to learn about dry and wet skim...lots of wet, white foam now but figuring out how to get the foam drier..no dirty stuff, is that normal?...took 10 mins to make for my 20L..post-71835-1339547622_thumb.jpg

post-71835-1339547634_thumb.jpg

post-71835-1339547647_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived