inTank Media Baskets

my tank looks awful!

buckeyes2k7

I went to Vegas for a couple of days, and this is what I came back to.....

IMG_20120217_170750.jpg

I think water changes are in order, anything I cnlan do to help this, all of my corals look absolutely pitiful

typical buckeye

lol but yea it does look quite bad. Id do a large WC and put some fresh chemical filtration in there. also try to siphon off all the stuff you can

gfo would probably help a lot--some good ole carbon would probably help a lot too. There's a thread on here for a bulk reef supply group buy--today is the last day to sign up but that would be a good place to get a whole bunch for cheap

Ok, I am finally able to get the water changed today, it is looking worse than the picture I posted. Glad I don't have fish or a large selection of coral right now.

for dyno's high ph works. if you have a ato than kalkwasser and a few days lights out will probably take care of it. ph around 8.6 usually is all it takes. it wont go away overnight.

for cyno use manual removal and a couple cheap phosphate pads changed every few days (make sure you change them becuase after 48 hrs or so they dump the phospates back into the water) followed by gfo will get rid of it. a large amount of cyno die off and you will probably get a cloudy water bacterial bloom for a few days. if you had fish you would want to airate the water with an airstone because a bacterial bloom strips most of the oxygen from the water. same hold true for most algae issues.

So I am pretty sure my corals are all dead, they are all white and skeletons. What do I do from here, the crap keeps coming back. Do I start over and scrub the rocks down really good and take out all the sand and let it re-cycle? This is the first time I have ever encountered a problem that got this out of control.

randythefishdude

hmmm i thouht my tank was having problems :o are u using ro di water and carbon / other chemical media

....... dont take my word 100% but they say that in a polloted tank carbon could only last a couple of hours so i would keep replacing it daily.

distilled and carbon, I think the damage is done though. All of my corals are nothing but a skeleton of what they once were, my xenias are melted, shrooms are gone, zoas are melted down. It's 20 times worse now than the picture i posted, water is all cloudy, sand now has a thin brown layer, rocks are all covered. If i use a baster, I can blow everything off the rocks easily, but then it just returns. I think taking all the sand out, and scrubbing the rocks down really good and starting over basically will be the best option at this point, instead of fighting this battle for 3 months with nothing in the tank.

Some how Vegas seems to take my money even when I'm 2000 miles away :). The good thing is I only had like 3 pieces of coral I truly liked lol. How should I scrub the rock, with hot fresh water? or in some salt water.

Sorry. That's a total tank crash. Happened to me twice, and my reefer friend, who's been doing this for over 20 years, more times then he can remember. this is what I would do in your situation:

1) try to figure out what went wrong-- did temps spike? need fans? pump breakdown? salinity (evap)... what happened while you were gone?

2) scrub off, rinse, boil, dry, all the sand and rocks. I wouldn't want that algae coming back! And if everythings dead anyways, I don't see much benefit in keeping the "live rock"

3) start fresh! Hopefully you can figure out what happened and avoid it this time around. Sometimes local reefers take pity on tank crash victims and have some easy beginner corals for cheap/free:) Then after the tanks stable for a while start adding in you preferred corals

Good luck! Are you starting a tank thread?

Unfortunate fail for sure. I know this first hand. I wouldn't even bother trying to save the sand bed. Just boil the rocks in tap and let them dry out. Then buy a couple pieces of live rock to reseed once placed back in the tank. Dust off and try again is about all you can do at this point. Good luck!

yep, look like dino! I used the PH trick when I started my tank and it worked very well I used Seachem HO to raise the PH and only had to rise it by about 8.4 to 8.5 day and night and in 4 days it was gone and I never saw it again.

for dyno's high ph works. if you have a ato than kalkwasser and a few days lights out will probably take care of it. ph around 8.6 usually is all it takes. it wont go away overnight.

for cyno use manual removal and a couple cheap phosphate pads changed every few days (make sure you change them becuase after 48 hrs or so they dump the phospates back into the water) followed by gfo will get rid of it. a large amount of cyno die off and you will probably get a cloudy water bacterial bloom for a few days. if you had fish you would want to airate the water with an airstone because a bacterial bloom strips most of the oxygen from the water. same hold true for most algae issues.

Dude that sucks! Anyways I would agree that something must have gone wrong while you were out... Could have been an equipment malfunction, power outage, intentional sabotage, etc... But normally this shouldn't appear out of the blue!

Had you changed anything in your routine before leaving? did you do any maintenance right before you left? Did you test the temp, S.G., pH, etc of the water when you got back? Is it possible that you did something?

Regarding how to clean it up, I think you may want to identify for sure what is in there, it may just be an issue of a large water change and letting it sit for a while to recover! If it ends up being a really difficult nuisance algae then you might consider as others have suggested and take the rocks out and take more extreme actions... Don't act too hastily though! Have a plan of attack laid out as best you can.

bummer :tears:

I've had this happen when a metal halide pendant cooked my tank after chiller/fan/circulation lost power due to a surge protector gone bad, lights were on different outlet. I (cooked) my rocks- 37gal rubbermaid tub and threw in a protien skimmer closed lid bi weekly water changes, and 2 months later fresh live rock with all unwanted pest and plant life gone for good....it will take some time but its the best way to go imo. look on the bright side everything that you didnt like with current system you can change now....

The lights have intentionally been left for 36 hours now, it looks a bit better. What I am thinking is a 75% water change, taking rocks out and rinsing them, throwing the dead coral out, leaving the lights off for a couple more days, do another water change, then see where I'm at. Oh yea, and throw some carbon in my filter.

On another note, I was thinking back on what I have done. Two months I took a couple rocks out and scrubbed the crap out of them and cut mushrooms off BC of an explosion of them. I noticed small spots of this crap showing upa after that. I thought it was due to dead spots in the water, apparently I was wrong.

Archived