Coral Vue Hydros

Torch Coral Host

tennis20

You can't. It will decide on its own.

Okay

Also, If i had a chocolate chip star will it kill my corals Because it was on my coral and now none of the polyps are extending. Its been three days

You can't. It will decide on its own.

This.

However, you can attempt to persuade the fish into the torch. There are two main strategies for this:

1. The Picture Method: This is basically simple "monkey see, monkey do." Tape pictures of torchs hosting clowns onto the walls of your tank. Some people have success with this strategy, most do not.
  2. Forced Interaction: You can remove the clown and torch from your tank and keep thim in a heated and circulating bucket of tank water. You could also do this in your tank with something like a colander. The theory is that the clown and potential host will be forced to make contact in a small volume, and with any luck, the clown will choose to claim the torch for its own. This strategy only works on occasion and is very stressful for both parties involved.

Someone was just posting earlier today about their clowns trying to host a torch coral and the clowns had black spots all over. I saw a pair hosting frogspawn once and they had the same black spots. I think euphyllia cause more harm to clowns than they give back.

Okay

Also, If i had a chocolate chip star will it kill my corals Because it was on my coral and now none of the polyps are extending. Its been three days

Yes. Chocolate chip stars are not reef safe. They eat coral polyps.

Please do your research before you buy your livestock.

Someone was just posting earlier today about their clowns trying to host a torch coral and the clowns had black spots all over. I saw a pair hosting frogspawn once and they had the same black spots. I think euphyllia cause more harm to clowns than they give back.

The black spots are temporary. Euphyllia actually have a much weaker sting than anemones. The black spots are sting marks from the coral that the fish receives while it is trying to obtain a sufficient coating of the coral's slime. Once the clown has the coral's slime, then the clown is essentially immune from the coral's stinging nematocysts, because the coral thinks the clown is just another tentacle.

Archived