Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Banshee's 14G BioCube

banshee

3-3-12 did a 50% water change. Afterwards got these results:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 5+

Nitrate: 40

Not there yet but better. Changed filter floss again and cleaned out the back chambers. Hope that will help. Going to try to get nitrate down to 20 or less with another WC and then just watch and wait for nitrites to begin to drop.

On a good (?) note a reddish and brown arm poked out of the rock during the water change. It was very thin and kind of fuzzy looking. Bristle star or bristle worm? Something else?

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swilbert,

I don't mind you asking questions here! They help me too!

I don't think you'll cycle again. It seems like I just got really unlucky. Keep checking your levels for 5-7 days and if they're stable then have fun (have some for me too)!

solefald,

I've seen that site. I hope I'll be able to make a meeting sometime soon!

Thanks Banshee. I didn't think I was hijacking your post. I thought we were having a conversation and I was directly asking you a question. If I was rude to anyone I apologize.

No im sorry Swilbert. I was just trying avoid hijacking. I didnt think you would be aware of what it was as your new. Again I didnt mean anything by it, and im sorry. Didnt mean to jump you like that. :)

Did a 50% WC tonight.

Nitrates: 20

I was a little confused on the Nitrites. The color didn't match anything but it also wasn't darker/brighter than the 5 anymore. I marked it down as 5+ anyway. Now I just watch and wait for it to hit zero anyway. ;)

R U still cycling? I didnt think water changes were necessarily during cycling.

Yes, almost over by today's tests. I only did water changes because my Nitrites and Nitrates were so high that I couldn't test their levels. I didn't want to lose my hitch hikers or the small CUC I have so I kept doing water changes until I got Nitrates down to 20.

3-4-12 results:

Nitrite: 1 (My husband agreed it didn't match 1 exactly but it was the closest)

Looks like the cycle may be over soon. Hoping for 0 Nitrites by Wednesday so I can do 2 more big water changes before next weekend and then start looking around at livestock!

I have a 14g biocube and it took almost two months before I put anything in it. I am simply using the stock setup and have had no problems as of yet. Not sire why there is such a push too buy all of this extra stuff for these tanks... Also what temp does your tank hold it you don't have a heater? I don't have one and mine stays at a constant 77. I thought 82 was pretty much the max temp that you would want to keep most SW livestock in anyways?

Yes, almost over by today's tests. I only did water changes because my Nitrites and Nitrates were so high that I couldn't test their levels. I didn't want to lose my hitch hikers or the small CUC I have so I kept doing water changes until I got Nitrates down to 20.

3-4-12 results:

Nitrite: 1 (My husband agreed it didn't match 1 exactly but it was the closest)

Looks like the cycle may be over soon. Hoping for 0 Nitrites by Wednesday so I can do 2 more big water changes before next weekend and then start looking around at livestock!

Congrats on your water parameters!! I know your itching to add stuff as much as I am.. I was looking at the picture you posted of your Ph in the test tube. Mine looks to be the same color which I also assume to be the color of 0ppm. But isnt it odd that the yellow that it shows doesnt match the yellow on the chart? Yet it also doesnt match any of the other colors on the chart either.

what do you plan on putting in your tank once it finishes cycling?

+1

Can't wait to see it underway :)

You've had a true cycle, my dear!!!!!!

I have a 14g biocube and it took almost two months before I put anything in it. I am simply using the stock setup and have had no problems as of yet. Not sire why there is such a push too buy all of this extra stuff for these tanks... Also what temp does your tank hold it you don't have a heater? I don't have one and mine stays at a constant 77. I thought 82 was pretty much the max temp that you would want to keep most SW livestock in anyways?

The bioballs become nitrate factories and destroy your water quality. I have filter floss, chemipure and purigen in a media tray because they help with the water quality control. I also pulled out the sponge in chamber 3 and put a bag of rowa-phos and carbon in there instead. My temp is stable at 79.3-79.7 ever since I recalibrated my heater. Our house is about a hundred years old and freezing most of the time so a heater is necessary.

what do you plan on putting in your tank once it finishes cycling?

2 clowns

1 goby (?)

1 cleaner shrimp

1 emerald crab (?)

a boatload of corals!

And I want another trochus snail too.

+1

Can't wait to see it underway :)

You've had a true cycle, my dear!!!!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I love your NC and I can only hope mine comes close in the next year!

I really like your scape. Can't wait to see this tank full of corals.

Thanks! I have a basket of corals just waiting for me to press order! Now if only this cycle would finish!

wow thats an insane cycle.

Yeah, about drove me up a wall! Guess I'm just 'lucky'. :lol:

I wonder if there was a giant worm that died in your rocks??????

If there was I hope my hermits and snails enjoyed a great feast! Otherwise this totally wasn't worth it (yet)! :happy: I can't wait to brew up some new water for my (hopefully last) WC of this cycle tonight! Then retest in the morning and start stocking! :D

Test first! That may be your famous first last assumption that it WILL be over.

Test now or when you get home and then figure out when the WC can be done. Only do a WC if Nitrites are at 0, my cycle was a hard one like yours, but I started with Dry Base Rock, and LS. I added the LR and 2 days later it was over. Oh and my Ammonia went up to 2, and Nitrites were at 5+.

I hope it kicked in though and is about done. ;)

Test first! That may be your famous first last assumption that it WILL be over.

Test now or when you get home and then figure out when the WC can be done. Only do a WC if Nitrites are at 0, my cycle was a hard one like yours, but I started with Dry Base Rock, and LS. I added the LR and 2 days later it was over. Oh and my Ammonia went up to 2, and Nitrites were at 5+.

I hope it kicked in though and is about done. ;)

I test every day! :lol: My ammonia was up to 8+ and my Nitrites were up to 5+. Now ammonia is 0 and nitrites were at 1 yesterday. Nitrates were at 40 yesterday so another WC is in order to get them down again no matter what. They were 160+ and it took FOREVER and a million WC's to get them down so I'm not going there again even if I prolong my cycle to do it!

Or just wait and get a few extra buckets (everyone on here will tell you to have enough buckets for 100% WC JIC.) and when Nitrites are at 0 do a 100% WC. Then everything would e clean and new ready for new stock.

Would be cheaper and less of a PITA. ;)

I would need another heater and another pump then too! I'd rather do a 50%+ WC now and another one a day later! What can I say? I'm lazy! :happy:

Your like me! LMAO I only did 50% as all my reading were 0 at the end and I didn't feel like lifting 8 5 gallon buckets.

It would only be lifting two 5 gallon buckets for me but I don't even do that. I make my hubby lift the new water bucket and pour it in! If he's not around I put it up on milk crates and use my siphon in reverse to get the new water in. :P When I do it that way I use the siphon to blow off my rock too. Oh, and I get my 7 year old to use the nano mag to scrape the glass every day. She likes to 'help' and I like to sit on my rear and watch. The lazy reefers cleaning club starts now! :lol:

It would only be lifting two 5 gallon buckets for me but I don't even do that. I make my hubby lift the new water bucket and pour it in! If he's not around I put it up on milk crates and use my siphon in reverse to get the new water in. :P When I do it that way I use the siphon to blow off my rock too. Oh, and I get my 7 year old to use the nano mag to scrape the glass every day. She likes to 'help' and I like to sit on my rear and watch. The lazy reefers cleaning club starts now! :lol:

I don't have kids to do the cleaning! LMAO would be good though! And Hubby helps when he is around but I am so OCD and he just DUMPS the water in. I have delicate corals and etc in there so dumping is no longer a possibility! I pour slowly! :lol:

you should probably start with just 2 fish first for a few weeks and add corals slowly. buying a bunch all at once in a 14g isnt a great idea.

Did you ever decide on what light upgrade is best for you?

Archived