Pod Your Reef

Banshee's 14G BioCube

banshee

Wow those new minis look really nice.

Sorry about the bubble tip. They can be finicky when settling in. Mine will scare me to death by deflating then I come back an hour later and it looks normal. I think it's just something they do. Maybe try to see if he will eat a smaller piece of food?

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense

Aren't they ... so cute (your minis) ... okay so here is the skinny. I am giving Gena my next clump of that green macro I am breaking off for her. The stuff grows super fast, least in my tank ;) ... you next on the list for a clump if you'd like? It should grow out again in month half, if you can wait until then. Let me know, okie dokie.

BTA's are a pain. I'm now convinced of that! :lol: I love mine so much though but I want it to be happy. :( I'm going to not touch or feed my tank until the weekend and then I'll do a WC and see how everything looks. If things aren't improving the BTA will be going back to the LFS. The leather might go too. Then I'll cut some vents in the hood on Sunday too. I need to ask my hubby if we have a dremel and the right bits. I'm so stressed over the tank right now. I feel like I must be a total idiot not to be able to even make GSP, leathers, and a brain happy. Even my runaway xenia is just laying in a clump in the back of the tank and not trying to move to a new spot. :( Fail....

Wow those new minis look really nice.

Sorry about the bubble tip. They can be finicky when settling in. Mine will scare me to death by deflating then I come back an hour later and it looks normal. I think it's just something they do. Maybe try to see if he will eat a smaller piece of food?

I was just using the search bar for "BTA won't eat" and found a lot of similar stories. I will try squid and maybe some brine shrimp instead and use smaller pieces. Hopefully it will perk up soon. I didn't realize they would just randomly deflate. It's been scaring me half to death! It looked like this Saturday:

BC14002.jpg

And yesterday it just crawls into a cave and collapses. I might just go loony if it keeps this up!

Aren't they ... so cute (your minis) ... okay so here is the skinny. I am giving Gena my next clump of that green macro I am breaking off for her. The stuff grows super fast, least in my tank ;) ... you next on the list for a clump if you'd like? It should grow out again in month half, if you can wait until then. Let me know, okie dokie.

Sure! Thanks! I'm thinking a big clump of macros would do my tank well with controlling params! Let me know when you have some ready. :)

After talking with a bunch of people about macros and their ability to help suck up extra nutrients, nitrates and phosphates I decided I need more. I placed an order with reef cleaners for more snails (5 dwarf cerith, 2 nassarius, 4 florida ceriths, and 3 nerites). With the 3 trochus and 5 'candy' snails (which I think are nerites) that I already have I think this will keep things in great shape. I also ordered chaeto and red gracilaria. I think I may turn my inTank media basket into a fuge. Gotta look into ordering a light for it. :)

New pics!

Tigger Pod culture:

tiggerpods2.jpg

tiggerpods1.jpg

New FTS:

FTS4_19_12.jpg

Mushrooms:

shrooms4_19_12.jpg

purpleshrooms4_19_12.jpg

blueandredshroom4-19-12.jpg

Rics:

rics4_19_12.jpg

Pods in my tank making the glass look dusty:

pods2.jpg

pods1.jpg

Leather looking a little happier:

leather4_19_12.jpg

BTA in his new hole:

BTA4_19_12.jpg

New mini minis (Is that a BABY?!)

babymini4_19_12.jpg

minis4_19_12.jpg

Macros:

macros4-19-12.jpg

macro4-19-12.jpg

I think that's it for now. :)

Ug I want one of those minis so bad!

The BTA doesn't look bad to me. Just leave it be. Today mine deflated a bunch then I realized it was pooping. Yuck.

I really need to start a pod culture for my future red scooter blenny. I don't know where to find the pods though.

Ug I want one of those minis so bad!

The BTA doesn't look bad to me. Just leave it be. Today mine deflated a bunch then I realized it was pooping. Yuck.

I really need to start a pod culture for my future red scooter blenny. I don't know where to find the pods though.

My LFS gets tigger pods in but they sell out quickly. That's why I decided to culture the last bottle I bought. I'm going to order some tisbe pods off Dr. Foster and Smith so I can culture them too. I just need to get another set up for them.

The BTA looks much better this evening. I think it likes it's new hole/cave. Of course now the daisy polyps aren't opening again because I think the BTA is too close. Oh well.

Looks like the BTA chose a pretty decent spot for now. Hopefully it will stay put. Can you move the daisy polyps?

Mushrooms are all looking good! The leather looks like it's getting ready to open up, maybe :)

Looks like everything is looking a bit happier!

This tank is going to rock, once you hit that 6 month mark things just click for some reason. ;) The tank is just happier.

Looks like the BTA chose a pretty decent spot for now. Hopefully it will stay put. Can you move the daisy polyps?

Mushrooms are all looking good! The leather looks like it's getting ready to open up, maybe :)

Yes, I like where it is. And I think the daisy polyps are going to be okay. They were about 50% open this morning. So maybe they're getting over the fact that the BTA moved into their neighborhood? :) Everything is definitely starting to look better. I think it will start to be really awesome when I get the fuge light and chaeto I ordered. I hope it will keep everything really stable and happy!

Looks like everything is looking a bit happier!

This tank is going to rock, once you hit that 6 month mark things just click for some reason. ;) The tank is just happier.

I hope so! I figured there's got to be a 'teenage' period where the tank just goes through stages of angst. I noticed my mushies are getting much larger so hopefully they'll start spreading a little soon.

Lookng good! You're the only one I know who has a ric carpet! Love it.

I copied it from Gena! She gets all the credit for my awesome carpet! :D

As for now though, you've inspired me to start a pod culture. Hopefully I can save some more money for corals by having a ready supply of tigger pods for my clowns and goby all the time. :) I also plan to try to catch a few white pods from the tank glass and start another culture of them. Should be an interesting experiment! ;)

She wants a mandarin and has stated this about 100x on my thread.

Love it when you butt in without knowing what 2 people are talking about, first on Deckoz's thread, now here.

:lol:

Now, now kids. Let's play nice. I have enough drama in my life! :P

Can I take a minute to rant about my job please? I've been here for 7 months but was just granted full time, direct hire this month. As if it wasn't bad enough working for peanuts and having no benefits for 6 months I've been treated like ish. To top it off, in the last week or so it's just gone crazy. One of the secretaries told me off for no reason and when I went to my manager about it he said he wasn't going to do anything about it. Then a part time college student with three kids to three different fathers that is only here because the VP is sweet on her says, "Don't look at me you F*ing B*ch!" as a coworker and I walk by her cube. We told HR about the incident and they totally blew it off. Then I was out visiting a few of our vendors last minute Wednesday because they're having various issues meeting contract dates. Because it was last minute I forgot to mark it on the absence schedule. When I returned yesterday I was given a stern reprimand about making sure the absence schedule is always up to date. Meanwhile my coworker is on his honeymoon for two weeks and has known he would be for the last year but that isn't on the schedule. :huh: It's totally chauvenistic (did I spell that right?). The guys can do anything they want but the women are constantly under the microscope. I was told I'm not putting in a full 40 hours (even though I work 8-4:30 five days per week) so I started skipping my lunches and staying until 5PM 1-2 days a week. Meanwhile my manager and his (male) buddies take a 1.5 hour lunch almost every day and still leave earlier than I do. Okay, I'll quit ranting now but I'm seriously ready to jump ship as soon as I can or else I just might go postal. ARGGghhhHHHHH!

Now, now kids. Let's play nice. I have enough drama in my life! :P

Can I take a minute to rant about my job please? I've been here for 7 months but was just granted full time, direct hire this month. As if it wasn't bad enough working for peanuts and having no benefits for 6 months I've been treated like ish. To top it off, in the last week or so it's just gone crazy. One of the secretaries told me off for no reason and when I went to my manager about it he said he wasn't going to do anything about it. Then a part time college student with three kids to three different fathers that is only here because the VP is sweet on her says, "Don't look at me you F*ing B*ch!" as a coworker and I walk by her cube. We told HR about the incident and they totally blew it off. Then I was out visiting a few of our vendors last minute Wednesday because they're having various issues meeting contract dates. Because it was last minute I forgot to mark it on the absence schedule. When I returned yesterday I was given a stern reprimand about making sure the absence schedule is always up to date. Meanwhile my coworker is on his honeymoon for two weeks and has known he would be for the last year but that isn't on the schedule. :huh: It's totally chauvenistic (did I spell that right?). The guys can do anything they want but the women are constantly under the microscope. I was told I'm not putting in a full 40 hours (even though I work 8-4:30 five days per week) so I started skipping my lunches and staying until 5PM 1-2 days a week. Meanwhile my manager and his (male) buddies take a 1.5 hour lunch almost every day and still leave earlier than I do. Okay, I'll quit ranting now but I'm seriously ready to jump ship as soon as I can or else I just might go postal. ARGGghhhHHHHH!

Sorry to hear about the work situation, preferential treatment for a coworker or being singled out at work is terrible to deal with.

I thought I was 'blocked' by FiCandy per her PM to me. I guess not. I'm not engaging her actually, it's reverse. But I apologize, won't happen again.

EDIT! Just remembered you have a pico at work. Girl! I hope it soothes you when the going gets tough.

Banshee, those are horrible working conditions -- I really feel bad for you and will send happy job thoughts your way. Hopefully, they'll steer you to a place where you are appreciated. I feel very fortunate b/c it looks like my department will not be cut wholesale, and the budget cuts we do have to make are bearable -- no one will get laid off, but we will probably have to increase class size a bit. My boss has also given me the go-ahead to change up his plans for my work life so that I am doing a kind of part time job for $$ instead of time off teaching. It means a busier work life, and I'll have to start walkin' the discipline strategies I spend time talkin'!

Happy thought happy thoughts happy thoughts :grouphug::wizard: !!

Sorry to hear about the work situation, preferential treatment for a coworker or being singled out at work is terrible to deal with.

I thought I was 'blocked' by FiCandy per her PM to me. I guess not. I'm not engaging her actually, it's reverse. But I apologize, won't happen again.

EDIT! Just remembered you have a pico at work. Girl! I hope it soothes you when the going gets tough.

I know there was some problems between you two but I appreciate both of your inputs so I don't want either of you to leave my thread. I do love my pico!

Banshee, those are horrible working conditions -- I really feel bad for you and will send happy job thoughts your way. Hopefully, they'll steer you to a place where you are appreciated. I feel very fortunate b/c it looks like my department will not be cut wholesale, and the budget cuts we do have to make are bearable -- no one will get laid off, but we will probably have to increase class size a bit. My boss has also given me the go-ahead to change up his plans for my work life so that I am doing a kind of part time job for $$ instead of time off teaching. It means a busier work life, and I'll have to start walkin' the discipline strategies I spend time talkin'!

Happy thought happy thoughts happy thoughts :grouphug::wizard: !!

Thanks! i hope it works out for both of us!

Ugh. Work sucked....

BUT!!!!!!!!

My tank is HAPPY today! omgomgomg:lockdown::haha::naughtydance:

Here's some pics!

Can you find the brittle starfish arms in these two?

4-20-12009.jpg

4-20-12010.jpg

Rics, rics, and MOAR rics!

4-20-12011.jpg

4-20-12012.jpg

4-20-12013.jpg

4-20-12030.jpg

BTA:

4-20-12014.jpg

4-20-12029.jpg

Frogspawn:

4-20-12016.jpg

4-20-12018.jpg

Daisy polyps are OPEN!

4-20-12019.jpg

Leather has some polyps showing!

4-20-12022.jpg

Old mini mini plus purple martini mini plus BABY nem! (Purple martini is eating a chunk of silver side)

4-20-12025.jpg

Even the green clown goby came out to say hi!

4-20-12033.jpg

Man I hope it stays this happy for our party tomorrow so I can show it off! I have more pics on my phone too. I need to get them uploaded. Not sure if I'll ever see everything open at once ever again! :lol:

This tank looks great! I love the ricordeas and anemones especially. Are your clownfish showing any interest in your the BTA?

Not at all! :lol: Both clowns hang out by the powerhead more than anything else. :rolleyes:

Okay, MOAR pics! Less this time because my phone isn't that great (like my camera is) but anyway...

FTS:

FTS2.jpg

FTS-1.jpg

Right side:

rightside.jpg

Leather:

leather-1.jpg

Froggie:

frogspawn.jpg

That's it for today! :)

ETA: I almost forgot! My extra CUC and chaeto from Reef Cleaners, my inTank fuge light, and my clove polyps from PYA all ship Monday! Next week should be a good week for my tank! ;)

Tank looks great banshee, I love the brittle stars, I have at least one I know about. He likes to hide under my red monti. :D

Next time someone has an issue I would appreciate a PM not a post on here. And BTW it's as easy as clicking "SHOW THIS POST" to read what someone typed. ;) Not being rude not butting in just stating the obvious that had been stated before. :huh:

FTS:

4-20-12

FTS2.jpg

Not to bring this here but - your sandbed in the bottom left of this picture....Those bubbles in the sand that you see through the glass are nitrogen.....from denitrifying bacteria ;)

Tank looks good

I like your black and white! He or she seems to have a real nice color like mine. Mine is growing sooooo fast though. How bout yours?

Not to bring this here but - your sandbed in the bottom left of this picture....Those bubbles in the sand that you see through the glass are nitrogen.....from denitrifying bacteria ;)

Tank looks good

Thanks! I kind of thought that was it. :)

I like your black and white! He or she seems to have a real nice color like mine. Mine is growing sooooo fast though. How bout yours?

My B/W is the female from what I can tell. She hasn't grown much I don't think but she's getting nice and chubby! I really like the O/W better. His color is just so vibrant now that I put in the LEDs. :)

So no real news tonight other than that I went to a Marine Aquarium Society meeting. The speaker is a copepod researcher so I learned a good deal about culturing pods and I'm going to put those ideas into practice on my own cultures over the next couple weeks and see how it goes. I met a lot of nice local reefers so I hope I'll have some donations to my tank over the coming months. I entered a raffle for a frag of elegance but didn't win even though there were nine pieces. :( Next time I'll take cash since now I know they do the raffles! Also I learned there's a frag swap next weekend so I have to see if I can make it! :D

Archived